Home U.S. Coin Forum

Have slabs ever been pressure tested?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious if any independent tests have ever been done on the various slabs.
There's a watch that will go VERY deep without leak but I don't think they'd need to go to that extreme.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-ultra-deep-professional-deepest-diving-watch

It could be interesting,

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 8:45AM

@topstuf... I may be behind on this information, but last information I saw, was that the slabs were not hermetically sealed...that may have changed, but I do not recall any information to the contrary. I worked in the semiconductor packaging industry for a couple of years...and hermetic sealing was quite critical and continuously tested...these slabs would surely not pass those tests.
    Cheers, RickO

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new slightly thicker generation of PCGS slabs are air tight. The older slabs are not.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 9:22AM

Only the TPGS know the answer because anyone else who knows is probably not going to say.

Up until 15 years ago, I could reply with certainty (I saw the experiment) that all slabs could be "gassed." Since then, I believe that many of the slab designs and materials have been improved.

It would be interesting to take some slabs down into the ocean on a submersible and film the descent. We need to find out what would happen when the coastline of CA falls into the sea. :(

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEGS did a very involved test on the TPG slabs. SEGS was the only slab to be even close to air tight.

@amwldcoin said:
    SEGS did a very involved test on the TPG slabs. SEGS was the only slab to be even close to air tight.

The date of the test is important.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was in the early days. I would say NGC slabs have become less air tight from how easy the newer slabs are to crack. PCGS slabs have become tougher to crack. I still think a SEGS slab is the most impervious on the market. Just wish Larry hadn't succumb to the pressures of submitters ruining his credibility.

@Insider2 said:

@amwldcoin said:

The date of the test is important.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting video and certainly indicates integrity at normal levels of air/water pressure. It does not tell us what pressure testing was performed... That would be helpful. Cheers, RickO

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

It would be interesting to take some slabs down into the ocean on a submersible and film the descent. We need to find out what would happen when the coastline of CA falls into the sea. :(

Actually, we will be an island so we will be able to fish the east side of California soon.

You, however, will need to move as Floridah is sinking into the rising sea levels from global warming.

Enjoy your humidity.

Cluelessness is a nice way to go through life ???

It takes no hard thinking.

edited September 17, 2019 9:36AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Cluelessness is a nice way to go through life ???

It takes no hard thinking.

Then YOU need to get EDUCATED. <3

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to discuss this on CU because I would greatly enjoy it!

edited September 17, 2019 9:48AM

Dude, one word .....Science ....

https://youtu.be/-FIMvSp01C8

Bad science (based on fractured stats that have been exposed many years ago); backed up by misinformation and "chicken little" Headlines in a lying Press with a global agenda is worse than NO SCIENCE at all. :p

There are two kinds of coin collectors:

Collector A: Reads everything, listens to everything, takes classes, and then does their own research to educate themselves (That's probably what made you an authority on error coins) .

Collector B: There rest of them. LOL.

edited September 17, 2019 10:03AM

I guess you are depending on the Paid for by the oil companies science.

So you say I need to go "research" global warming? WTF I am not a scientist, but I do believe what 97% of climate scientists agree on ....

I believe scientists and not big oil .... Hide your head in the sand if you so choose ....

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

The US military is very concerned about climate change ...

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/centers/cmbc/research/climate-change/national-security/

97% of climate scientists agree on ....

OMG! 100% pure stick-it-in-the face poppy-cock put out by fake news to the koolaid drinking "NON-Scientist "snowflakes" so they can be coerced into accepting all sorts of things like: Carbon Dioxide - needed for living plant life is a bad thing. LOL. Better to put a warning sign on a generator rather than teach nonsense to school kids.

Mark my words. Eventually, "they" will be coming after ALL of our coins containing Nickel" because it can cause dermatitis on some people! BTW, unlike man-made global warming , it can and DOES!

Ignorance is bliss :o

There is no argument here!

THE EARTH'S CLIMATE CHANGES!

It has in the past and will continue into the future.

The real discussion is What causes it!! This is a discussion that is not allowed here. Please have the last post. Thanks to the mods for letting me vent. <3

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

NASA has generated a graph of CO2 in the atmosphere over the last 400,000 years. Do a search. It is eye opening.
    Now back to coins.

@WDH said:
    NASA has generated a graph of CO2 in the atmosphere over the last 400,000 years. Do a search. It is eye opening.
    Now back to coins.

Insider does not believe NASA or Scripps but only Fox propaganda.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 11:08AM

I cannot resist before this thread is closed.

This cycle has been going on for 1,000,000's of years.

Hello everyone!
    Today we are going to talk a little bit about the geologic history of Massachusetts and New England. As you probably know, in Earth’s past, the planet has experienced periods of cooling called ice ages for the past 2.6 million years during the Quaternary period. In these ice ages, large, moving ice masses, called glaciers were a prevalent feature of the topography. Even today, there are glaciers left over from our last ice age, although they are much less common.
    The most recent ice age peaked about 23,000 years ago. Glaciers covered approximately 1/3 of all land on earth. All of these glaciers were formed by snow that turned into ice through compaction and recrystallization. Because of all the snow used to created these giant ice masses, nearly 5% of the earth’s water was trapped in the glaciers, which is over 10 million cubic miles of water. This caused the sea levels to fall eustatically, so the coasts then extended 100 miles farther out to sea than they do today. During the ice ages, the earth was a different planet.

I'm not that mad that I lived during ONE of the many warming cycles.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited September 17, 2019 11:23AM

Thanks for all the unnecessary links, I can comprehend English.

Sorry, but I feel the same way as I do when I'm trying to convince a ________, ah, person o:) that his copper plated steel cent that has been in the family for decades is not a genuine '43 copper!!!

Furthermore I believe this easily provable FACT that I'll repeat and explain: THE EARTH'S CLIMATE CHANGES!

The Earth: One of the planets in our solar system. The planet we all live one.
    Climate: The prevailing weather conditions of a region on our earth averaged over a period of time.
    Change: Become different. Sometimes fluctuate.

Have you ever considered that Two things can be true at the same time?

Of course, the Earth has cycles.

And carbon emissions by Humans do warm the planet according to 97% of the scientists who study the phenomenon.

This discussion has been closed.