Home U.S. Coin Forum

Potted plants

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2019 6:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold likely to follow.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 5:27PM

Trying to get a coin in...

Prices for some PMs will likely go up. Don’t mind if gold goes up, need to divest a few Au coins.

——-

“RIYADH/DUBAI/LONDON (Reuters) - Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi group said it attacked two plants at the heart of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry on Saturday, knocking out more than half the Kingdom’s output, in a move expected to send oil prices soaring and increase tensions in the Middle East.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-aramco-fire-idUSKCN1VZ01N

—————
    —————
    1942forever?

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't be more than a temporary ripple based on the news story I read. Will affect less than 5% of world oil production. Other producers will be glad to step in and take Aramco's slice.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saudi's produce about 10% of the world's oil (I always thought it was more but that it was was reported). I don't think prices should fluctuate much if any as our reserves are excellent and the Saudi's said they would be back to normal on Monday....we'll see.
    If they go up it's all greed (of course it probably is that anyway, 'eh?).

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first I thought this was another one of those "gassed slabs" toning threads.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

They say that most production will be back up by Monday. Had this happened when markets were open, it would have been a wild ride.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be a great false flag type of exercise

Hmmm

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Did someone say OT and ARAMCO? >:)

Thank you. I was waiting for that one. :)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will this attack impact the price of gold?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Heads will be literally rolling.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monday should be interesting, though the futures are still in the green...not by much. Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oil 2018 data (est):

4500Mt produced worldwide

583Mt by Saudi Arabia (SA)

5% of world supply is 225Mt

225Mt of 583Mt is 38.6% of SA production

Nearly 40% of SA capability is affected.

Not going to be fixed by Monday, regardless of the “news.”

Give it a month or two.

@ricko said:
    Monday should be interesting, though the futures are still in the green...not by much. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

I> @ricko said:

Those are Friday's numbers. The future markets are closed

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct... where is the 'embarrassed' icon? ;) Cheers, RickO

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just being hyped up to raise the price of oil so that the companies can max profit. That is what we are for, to pay for goods so that the very rich can live well. ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have to fill my gas tank every 3 or 4 months and fortunately, I still have about 2/3 of a tank.

I hope the prices stablize by around November or December.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good time to put some gold eagles in the Apmex cart before the futures open.

:o

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal pricing opens in 3 hours overseas. Will be interesting to see what the automatic computer programs do to the markets.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

In shouldn't affect us as we have enough oil in the U.S. to be totally independent from foreign oil. But you know how that works! :s

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    In shouldn't affect us as we have enough oil in the U.S. to be totally independent from foreign oil. But you know how that works! :s

great that we are finally self sufficient and little of the Mideast oil ever made it to our shores. Most was from Mexico, Canada and S America.

Still a world market though and if a substantial quantity goes offline, prices will increase.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hotdiggity for oil stocks !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 12:43PM

This group has taken responsibility. (called Houthi)

Their motto is...(as seen on their flag)
    "God is great, death to the US, death to Israel, curse the Jews, and victory for Islam"
    Kinda long but I guess it works for some people.

What a bunch of THUG's!!!!

@ReadyFireAim said:
    This group has taken responsibility. (called Houthi)

Their motto is...(as seen on their flag)
    "God is great, death to the US, death to Israel, curse the Jews, and victory for Islam"
    Kinda long but I guess it works for some people.

I'm sure it loses something in the translation.

I can't imagine this attack going unanswered. Perhaps that's when gas prices will go up. :o

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

From CNN:

'Oil prices have recently been low. Brent, the global benchmark, closed at $60.22 per barrel on Friday. The price closely followed in the United States, known as WTI, closed at $54.85.
    Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, had cut back on production of crude and other energy products as part of an OPEC effort to boost prices. The kingdom produces approximately 10% of the total global supply of 100 million barrels per day.
    Other analysts expect a smaller oil market rally in the short term. "A small $2-$3 per barrel premium would emerge if the damage appears to be an issue that can be resolved quickly, and $10 if the damage to Aramco's facilities is significant," Ayham Kamal of the Eurasia Group said in a research note.
    Two other analysts told CNN Business they believe prices could jump $15 per barrel because of the amount of Saudi oil affected by the attacks.'

Even $15 per barrel is not that much of an affect on gas prices.

With respect to the Houthi - they are freedom fighters for Yemen - right now the Saudi's have occupied Yemen and closed off all aid so there is a major humanitarian crisis ongoing because 10s of millions of folks in Yemen are starving to death. You can help if supplies can get in:

https://secure.unicefusa.org/donate/help-yemen’s-children/34863?utm_campaign=20190801_Monthly&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=yemenmonthly1&ms=cpc_dig_2019_Monthly_20190801_google_yemenmonthly1_delve_E2001&initialms=cpc_dig_2019_Monthly_20190801_google_yemenmonthly1_delve_E2001&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8b8pdrT5AIVXR-tBh3zDwyKEAAYASAAEgLUqfD_BwE

Who knows what their message above says - anyone here read their language? From their perspective that when they see their country folk starving to death in the millions via Saudis, a regime backed by other countries including US, I can imagine they may be a abit upset at US government. Just sayin' Does it really help their case to blow up oil refineries? Probably not, but desperate people will do what they can.

PS these boards are supposed to be numismatic, I merely responded because of the RW misinformation. Now can we go back to what these boards are supposed to be about?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Same as yesterday here in Vegas.....filled up at $3.05 Saturday and same just now.

bob :)

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanLord said:
    I only have to fill my gas tank every 3 or 4 months and fortunately, I still have about 2/3 of a tank.

I hope the prices stablize by around November or December.

Try three times a week with the top grade. :(

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold opened up $15 in overseas markets. Let’s see what it does from there.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

This photo highlighting golds rise over the attacks on Saudi Arabia could be much improved (the contents):

https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2013/04/23/100665307-106658224.530x298.jpg?v=1487901376

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Friday, gas down 4 cents/gal. here.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close to Midnight Sunday. Looks like gold peaked at around +$20, and is about +$14 at the moment.
    According to money.cnn.com the Dow futures are down 122.
    Nothing drastic on either one, really.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Filled up at $2.19 regular.

@CaptHenway said:
    Close to Midnight Sunday. Looks like gold peaked at around +$20, and is about +$14 at the moment.
    According to money.cnn.com the Dow futures are down 122.
    Nothing drastic on either one, really.

No. Oil was another matter. Up as much as $8.50 per barrel, currently about +$5 on HUGE volume. 500 million barrels traded overnight in CLV alone.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lead singer from "The Cars" passed away, too. (RIP)
    Likely no impact on automobile prices ?

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The lead singer from "The Cars" passed away, too. (RIP)
    Likely no impact on automobile prices ?

And Eddie Money...
    Likely no impact on the value of Money?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Death travels in three's...sadly.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

The retribution is going to be what really drives prices up.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba said:
    The retribution is going to be what really drives prices up.

The US and the Saudi's will put together a coalition and all hell will rain down on Iran. This terrorist attack can't go unanswered.

Got it for $3.05 day before yesterday and decided to fill the other one today: at $2.93.

24-48 hour hype....day traders made out

bob :)

@DIMEMAN said:

the oil guys?

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you believe that group pictured pulled off a coordinated drone and cruise missile strike in SA, I have several bridges to sell. Go gold (for you guys, I still don't like gold). :)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@DIMEMAN said:

the oil guys?

Yes, the oil thugs killed a journalist living in the United States of America and working for the Washington Post.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@derryb said:

@DIMEMAN said:

the oil guys?

Yes, the oil thugs killed a journalist living in the United States of America and working for the Washington Post.

I'm talking about the terrorist whoever they are!

edited September 16, 2019 4:50PM

Not the affect on oil that was expected.

things are not always as they seem to be.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@derryb said:

@DIMEMAN said:

the oil guys?

I'm talking about the terrorist whoever they are!

What is your definition of a thug? Terrorist?

Cutting up a journalist working and living in the USA or a high tech attack using jet-powered drones on the nation-state that ordered the killing of that journalist?

I think everyone here knows what a terrorist is. Just remember 9/11/01. ;) I know that in a PM to me months ago you said that wasn't a big deal...…..but to the rest of us it was a VERY VERY VERY BIG DEAL!!!

You have been reported and flagged for lying about a Personal Message. I will not discuss the trash you sent me in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.