Home Q & A Forum

Im no expert. What do you think?

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks guys. I was figuring acid. Appreciate yall.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acid does not flatten letters or leave deep hits as this appears. IMO, just banged-up.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Acid does not flatten letters or leave deep hits as this appears. IMO, just banged-up.

Rock tumbler with acid?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a weaker acidic or caustic solution could preferentially etch the metal grains and leave a mottled appearance like this. It certainly wasn't the 70% HNO3 you'd find in a lab

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 1:17PM

A wire wheel on a bench grinder will move metal & produce a grainy texture. Don't know if that is the case here?

In any event it looks like PMD.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Insider2 said:

Rock tumbler with acid?

Don't think so.

@Oldhoopster said:
    I believe a weaker acidic or caustic solution could preferentially etch the metal grains and leave a mottled appearance like this. It certainly wasn't the 70% HNO3 you'd find in a lab

Disagree.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

A wire wheel on a bench grinder will move metal & produce a grainy texture. Don't know if that is the case here?

In any event it looks like PMD.

My best guess is some sort of mechanical alteration.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick demo of what a wire wheel does to a coin.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell due to quality of original photo but I agree with @Insider2 looks like mechanical damage, like many small, deliberate hits. Small pointed object tapped or jabbed into the surface hundreds of times by hand or possibly an engraving tool, hand or mechanical. Really need better photos to be more confident in this diagnosis.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.