Home U.S. Coin Forum

Poll: Who do you trust to get your expensive package delivered?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poll: Who do you trust to get your expensive package delivered?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Armed courier

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's insured, I don't care. Who pays the insurance quicker?

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2019 9:53AM

I only trust FedEx but not the FedEx ground which is the worst. Oh and I had a very bad experience with USPS. The part time mail lady literally stole a package of bullion in front of me. And the postal inspector didn't do much to help.

E.g. Two packages arrived during the same time and day. One handed over to my wife to sign along with the rest of the mail. But the other was never receive. I checked the online status 15 mins after the mail lady left. And it showed delivered and left in the mailbox 1 min before my wife signed for the other package.

I went straight to the post office and nothing was resolve beside the fact she had left for the day and the record showed she was in front of my house when the missing package was delivered. The postmaster also said someone else must had stole my package.

Then I filed a complaint to postal inspector and even spoke to him on the phone twice. He said he would research on it. But all I got was some standard emails stating they were still working on it. They closed my case half year later without any remedy. Seller and insurance wouldn't reimburse my lost since it was shown delivered.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

FedEx around here is really bad.
    Maybe because it's rural and far away from the hub?

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    LOL!!!!! At exactly the moment I clicked on FedEx in the poll, the doorbell rings.......

Guess who? LOL!!!!!

Milkman!

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

None of the above for expensive items.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Myself!

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

usps, never had any problems with them. fed ex is too slow, ups is slow too

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

usps (fwiw)

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

Voted FedEx. Just happened to contact our insurance company this morning for the second time to start the process to file a claim on a lost Registered package.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

@nencoin said:
    Voted FedEx. Just happened to contact our insurance company this morning for the second time to start the process to file a claim on a lost Registered package.

Sorry to hear it! That sucks. With the chain of possession Registered requires I'm hopeful it won't be a hassle to be made whole.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    LOL!!!!! At exactly the moment I clicked on FedEx in the poll, the doorbell rings.......

Guess who? LOL!!!!!

Avon calling?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • USPS. I have an eBay store & ship most non-coin items (CDs) via media Mail. Out of hundreds of shipments I've only had a couple get lost or delayed. For coins I ship Priority Mail with signature required. For a lot of 7 gold coins I shipped it Registered.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS registered. No problems in over 40 years.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any actual statistics to back this up, but it seems that the majority of delivery problems occur in the first or final step. In my location, there is very little turnover for FedEx Express drivers and hence delivering things to the wrong address or making some other mistake is quite rare. We have had more issues with UPS or FedEx Ground delivery, which may or may not be related to driver turnover. But it seems like when there is a problem it is a new or substitute driver. My 2 cents...

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had many problems with the few times I've used Fed-Ex both ways. The killer for me was when they left a $25,000.00 shipment of coins on the hood of my car in my driveway that was supposed to be signed for. Good thing I wasn't in a neighborhood as it was out there at least 1/2 a day!

As a shipper...this was using USPS World Express which Fed-ex handles. I paid the post office and then Fed-ex billed my account...double billing. This happened twice and was a time consuming pain in the ass to take care of. Oh! and Fed-Ex won't insure coins!

I've lost 1 registered package in over 20 years...a bit of a pain but the USPS did pay the claim.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS Express. The less time in the system, the better.

I use Registered too and trust that service. But long delivery time for distant shipping can be frustrating.
    Lance.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS Registered. I never even have a second thought.

Drunner

• SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭

FedEx rings the bell and are gone before I answer the door in 5 seconds.
    USPS sometimes marks things as delivered, and I might get them the next day.
    UPS rings the bell, waits a minute or so. I'm home, I get the package every time.

UPS got my vote.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2019 5:03PM

@TurboSnail said:

E.g. Two packages arrived during the same time and day. One handed over to my wife to sign along with the rest of the mail. But the other was never receive. I checked the online status 15 mins after the mail lady left. And it showed delivered and left in the mailbox 1 min before my wife signed for the other package.

I filed a complaint to postal inspector ....
    Seller and insurance wouldn't reimburse my lost since it was shown delivered.

It is examples like this above that prompted me to add several security cameras to my property.
    I can now see and capture images of the mail carrier/delivery service approaching my property, along with a date and time stamp, and also, through the use of additional cameras, I can see the carrier from all angles where my packages are delivered.

I've never had a problem with someone taking a package that was delivered.
    I've only had issues with packages not being delivered, despite being shown as delivered.
    The cameras are there to help resolve those issues.
    The quality of service provided by the USPS can vary quite a bit based upon how your local P.O. is managed and operated, as well as your particular mail carrier.
    I've had really good carriers and really bad ones over the years.
    JMHO

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use USPS and have not had any problems. Both regular shipping and registered. Fedex and UPS can be a bit dicey from time to time...though always worked out in the end. Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trust nobody completely, which I why I have insurance. I trust USPS Registered and Fedex overnight the most.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS or fed ex.
    Not Ups.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

If otherwise insured, USPS Express. If not, USPS Registered (and insured).

When possible, my preference is to deliver truly important things in-hand.

• TroyWTroyW Posts: 42 ✭✭

Had a similar issue as TurboSnail with usps 10 years ago.
    A registered package was delivered to my mail box. I didn't sign for it but it showed as signed - digitally - no paper copy or digital copy with handwritten signature - just a notation in their system saying signed for by recipient. The registered package was delivered opened from the seam and contents of the package stolen.

The same day as it was delivered I went to the post office to complaiand the usps delivery supervisor told to contact the seller so they can file a missing package claim. I contacted the seller explained the situation and that I needed him to file a missing package/item claim and he refused to help and accused me of stealing the contents so I filed a missing item claim with ebay. Ebay rejected my claim stating since it showed as delivered, I had no case and I needed to deal with usps.

The day after it was delivered, I waited for the postman and asked him about the package. He claimed he was off the day and a substitute made deliveries. I showed him the opened package and asked him a lot of questions which I could tell he didnt want to answer. Among things, how is my package delivered without the required signature from me since it was a restricted delivery and why was it delivered opened but the package was not marked by usps as damaged during routing. also, i wanted to know who the substitute was which he didn't answer. Basically the guy was no help and was as useful as tits on a mule plus his demeanor lead me to believe he is a liar. I went back to usps talked to the supervisor which was a waste of time. I called their fraud/theft department to report a theft by a postal employee and how to file a claim since the seller would not. they said the supervisor was wrong and told me how to file a claim which I did. the claim was rejected several months later stating it showed as delivered and the package was not reported by a usps employee as damaged in routing. I called the fraud department and asked about the status of a theft by employee claim I initiated but got no definitive answer - they claimed they could not tell me the outcome.

So to make this long story short, I do not use usps anymore unless absolutely necessary because in the fine print, usps is not liable for theft, damage or whatever regarding anything they are contracted to ship which means their insurance is completely useless and just a money grab by them - take the money for insurance then put so many requirements and restrictions on the customer needing to file a claim that they have no chance at being reimbursed. thinking back I should have filed a police report and a the feds but then again what would have been the outcome...nothing zilch zero...all because it showed as I signed for it and was not reported by them as damaged during routing.

according to usps back then, paying for restricted delivery doesn't mean the service will be provided, they can still deliver a restricted package without a signature. hopefully the rules have since changed.

I have stopped using usps unless absolutely necessary and UPS and FedEx get my business now.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS Express, registered, or any of the “lower” options with tracking, signature, and insurance. All depends on the need and value at the time.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had a problem with USPS, all of my purchases from Heritage have been through USPS with no problems.
    (fingers crossed)

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

If otherwise insured, I've used FedEx Overnight with no problems at all over the years. Otherwise, I use USPS Registered Mail. Over the past 40 years, I've sent and received hundreds of Registered Mail packages without a hitch. Of course, delivery time varies - it's been anywhere from 4 to 17 days, but usually about 8 or 9 days.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Guess who? LOL!!!!!

Renski?

:o

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I have never had an issue using registered mail myself

The packages have always arrived. On an Ebay high ticket sale, Ebay will issue a refund to the buyer if the package does not arrive withing two weeks. Nearly got stung for $3000 so be wary when shipping items sold on that venue.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered mail has never failed me, Registered is the Post Office's premium product. Far as I know, registered mail has to be signed for at each stopping place along the way to its destination.
    Individuals who handled the registered parcel could find themselves under investigation if too many lost items on their record. #1 Priority with USPS is that the registered mail system works and works well. A little pricey but for a coin or group of coins worth $100 or more registered, insured is about the safest way to send coins, in my opinion.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting for a item that left the USPS warehouse on route to the post office that delivers my mail, they are about a15 miles apart. It left there on the 10th at 11:04am, as of today it's shows still in transit

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE said:
    I'm still waiting for a item that left the USPS warehouse on route to the post office that delivers my mail, they are about a15 miles apart. It left there on the 10th at 11:04am, as of today it's shows still in transit

Probably already arrived but nobody to process (Sunday) the truck/trailer. Monday is when someone pushes the switch and the conveyors start churning and barcodes get scanned as destination/arrivals.

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only ship USPS registered.

They are without a doubt the slowest way and the most expensive to ship.

As I recall FDX/UPS ins weren't happy to insure bullion

USPS would insure my packages up to $50,000.

I had one claim while shipping over 100 packages. I followed the tracking on a coin I shipped with a chicago destination. The tracking indicated the coin was shipped to china.

I filed a claim. I was paid within a week. On E-Bay's advice I emailed the customer who e-mailed in return that he received the coin and neglected to inform me.

I sent the check back immediately.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file