Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

No thanks.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like we have yet another purveyor of AT coins. Add him to the list.

• Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Looks like we have yet another purveyor of AT coins. Add him to the list.

Ahh thanks for the info!

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller has been around a long time.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a demand for colorful tarnish.... As long as the demand exists, there are those who will fulfill it, for a price. Cheers, RickO

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many coins that are rejected by the major TPGS's end up being sold "raw." For $37 I'd be tempted to buy some coins that look AT for my "teaching set."

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 9:29AM

This seller has a well known NEGATIVE reputation of slabbing, not grading EVERYTHING that looks even close to a coin. They probably produced more MS grades instead of AU or VF grades.
    BE cautious when buying anything from Centsles!!!!!!!!!!
    They are not graders! although they have a strong following. they are basement slabbers out of FL.!
    And as it appears , maybe also now Basement Toners!!! :#
    I am just wondering from where they get their immense stock of so many countries coins?????

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
    edited September 15, 2019 7:32AM

@YQQ wrote: "They made more MS grades out of VF coins than other TPG's together have ever seen."

Perhaps you'll be kind enough to back up this statement with EVEN ONE EXAMPLE! Otherwise, you may wish to delete it from your comments :p to stay within the Forum Rules.

@YQQ continued: "BE cautions when buying anything Centsles!!!!!!!!!!"

Suggested change: "...OR ANY OTHER COIN DEALER!!!!!!"**

PS In my experience there have been MANY large dealers who have "cleaned-up" their business. Perhaps what you posted no longer occurs. I'll be waiting for proof of your statement.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

Agree 100% with RickO. No market, no scammer. Fake "coins", fake toning and fake grading company.

@Insider2 said:
    @YQQ wrote: "They made more MS grades out of VF coins than other TPG's together have ever seen."

Perhaps you'll be kind enough to back up this statement with EVEN ONE EXAMPLE! Otherwise, you may wish to delete it from your comments :p to stay within the Forum Rules.

@YQQ continued: "BE cautions when buying anything Centsles!!!!!!!!!!"

Suggested change: "...OR ANY OTHER COIN DEALER!!!!!!"**

PS In my experience there have been MANY large dealers who have "cleaned-up" their business. Perhaps what you posted no longer occurs. I'll be waiting for proof of your statement.

EDITED: @YQQ, If you are using "THEY" to describe the "Fly-by-Night" slabbers not allowed on Eaby rather than the coin dealer, No Example is Necessary as these companies often put XF +, AU, and problem coins in straight-graded MS labeled holders. Nevertheless, I have NEVER seen a VF labeled MS by any of them.

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Look like Selsun Blue jobs

edited September 15, 2019 8:38AM

@georgiacop50 said:
    Look like Selsun Blue jobs

LOL, the drug store is our friend. I'll have to try that on a coin so I'll know what to look for.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

NNC did get one thing right. Those are truly dollars.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 7:57PM

He gets lots of bidders and been there a long time. Lots of ICG coins plus values given help your bidding. Whatever his business model seems to be working.

I wonder how he makes money - where does he get all that got to be some shop where it walking in raw next to nothing. I wonder if he uses ICG for grading some kind low cost deal? Interesting - He has some ICG $2.50 Indians - look nice wonder what they bring. Will try track them.

I’m confused - am I seeing NNC self slabs but no grade on the Holder? Or are they unsealed, the buyer can open up, put his grade on it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 3:32AM

The '80-S looks like it spent some time face up in a tin of blueberry pie. Ditto the '78-S except change the pie used to strawberry rhubarb.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider2
    I made some small changes in my original Post. AND, I am sticking to it!
    Hopefully It will suit YOU a bit better and it is to YOUR liking!
    I have no idea what you meant with your mumble grumble about rules and proofing something. I just guess YOU did not like me mentioning comparing other TPG's.
    10-15 years ago and until today, Centsles grading was not grading at all. Before they split paper from coins They had more feedbacks on ebay than anyone else in numismatics. It was simply slabbing coins and putting a number on the slab. They graded forgeries , knowingly or not. A very large number of collectors got seriously fooled and believed these numbers. there are still slabs like that around. You can simply twist these and they will open if you help a bit with a letter opener. I had a personal experience about 10 years or so ago which eventually involved an AAG in FL. I was told they are not breaking any laws unless they are attaching a monetary value to their numbers or selling their stuff as an investment. There apparently are no laws in Numismatics governing slabs and TPG's.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

@YQQ said:

Insider2
    I made some small changes in my original Post. AND, I am sticking to it!
    Hopefully It will suit YOU a bit better and it is to YOUR liking!
    I have no idea what you meant with your mumble grumble about rules and proofing something. I just guess YOU did not like me mentioning comparing other TPG's.

First, since the 1960's I have witnessed some of the biggest "crooks" in the hobby change their "spots." One such dealer I have personally called on two different occasions for selling coins that were extremely undergraded, is the poster child for this "change."

As I tell everyone anytime there is a chance: We can find under graded, correctly graded, and over graded coins in every major TPGS holder. The under graded coins are eventually up-graded; the over-graded coins sit around until many eventually become correctly graded due to gradeflation; and the vast majority of slabs are correctly graded.

Next, any member here should know that I defend EVERY TPGS when they are wrongly attacked. I also go after EVERY TPGS (including ones I am or have been affiliated with) when necessary to improve them. Sometimes, because of the forum I am on at the time, my comments are "between-the- lines."

Finally, I DON'T TRUST ANY COIN DEALER - EVER!

PS: CU Rule #2: Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity. I'm going to bet that includes a between-the-lines: Even when it is true!

I don't like it when our "non-troll" members get banned and I especially don't like it when ANY discussion is closed. That's why I posted what I did. Note: If the dealer you mention is selling self-graded slabs or basement grader products, that's between him and Ebay. Sheep get sheared. That's where natural wool comes from and best of all it will grow back.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    He gets lots of bidders and been there a long time. Lots of ICG coins plus values given help your bidding. Whatever his business model seems to be working.

I wonder how he makes money - where does he get all that got to be some shop where it walking in raw next to nothing. I wonder if he uses ICG for grading some kind low cost deal? Interesting - He has some ICG $2.50 Indians - look nice wonder what they bring. Will try track them.

I’m confused - am I seeing NNC self slabs but no grade on the Holder? Or are they unsealed, the buyer can open up, put his grade on it.

eBay makes him/them cover the grade on the holder because it is not a recognized TPG.
    So eBay is essentially saying it is a raw coin, which it is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file