Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

newp - 1795 German States Bamberg medal

New arrival for sede vacante / bishopric set. This one is a 1795 sede vacante medal from Bamberg. Struck to commemorate the empty seat upon the death of Franz Ludwig Freiherr von Erthal, the prince-bishop of Würzburg and Bamberg from 1779 to 1795. Slightly smaller than a taler at 37.4 mm; classified as Zepernick 72. My photograhy is hit or miss but I'm thrilled with this iteration as it does capture the color nicely. The pics were snapped outside today using a Samsung 8 phone. Pics are untouched with exception of cropping.

This issue, along with the following piece, were the last bishopric sede vacante issues from Bamberg before losing its independence to Bavaria in 1802.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular pickup for your highly aesthetic set. Congratulations!!

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful additions! I'm surprised that after all these years there are still opportunities to grow your Sede Vacante collection.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics, nice medals.

Any good material to read up and learn a bit more about these?

My current "Box of 20"

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

lovely, so much detail in them!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Many thanks guys.

@TwoKopeiki - Surprisingly, there are still dozens of sede vacante issues that are on my radar but they only pop up on occasion. I comb MA shops, SixBid, and Numisbids with regularity. The challenge is finding the discipline to set aside some dollars to pursue when something pops up rather than reactive spending on the closest shiny object. A couple of years ago I decided to expand the collection to include regular bishopric issues from the German States such as Munster, Bamberg, Passau, Paderborn, Speyer, Trier, Cologne, etc. Loosening the constraints on the collection really opened some new doors and brought new energy. If old me could go back in time with a message for young me, I would coach myself to expand the target collecting area sooner than later.......

@Bob13 - In retrospect, the path has been a meandering affair. It started when I stumbled on some sede vacante lots in an Ira Goldberg auction 13+ years ago. This led me to study the German States section of the Krause 1700-1800 to learn more. After assembling the list of bishopric states, I went page by page in Krause looking for sede vacante references. The designs fascinated me. I obtained a reprint of the relatively obscure Zepernick guide (Die Münzen und Medaillen der ehemaligen Capitel und Sedisvakanzen - published 1848). Unfortunately I have never found an English translation so I only can pull what I transcribe in google. Acsearch.info has been a great resource for keyword searches to illustrate pieces without images. I should probably pick up the Davenport Church and City Talers edition as some point but have not done so yet.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

I've been to Bamberg. I think its nickname is the Venice of Bavaria since there are rivers that run through the town.

The brewery there makes a unique style of beer called Raichbier (smoke beer). It tastes smoky, as the name would imply.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 6:30AM

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I’m actually rolling down the runway heading for Frankfurt

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 12:56AM

Frankfort, Kentucky, or Frankfurt, Germany?
    :D

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Frankfort, Kentucky, or Frankfurt, Germany?
    :D

The later and I do that all the time :#

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Beautiful pieces , thank you for sharing .