Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Since when were die cracks considered mint errors?

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned several like this... never knew NGC would grade them as error coins. Would PCGS?

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 9:39AM

Always.

Most are minor errors, some are major errors.

Pay the error coin fee, sure.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2019 9:41AM

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one J.T. Stanton Found Second one Fred Weinberg and still looking for there brothers...….

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error or variety?

Discuss. ;)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me mistake at production at the Mint > error >< die crack ....... NO?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Error or variety?

Discuss. ;)

Most major error coins are not varieties. Many minor error coins are varieties. Most vaieties are error coins but some varieties are not error coins.

Does that help :D

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another way to take advantage of the current craze in minor "errors" or varieties and make some extra money in the process.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Error or variety?

Discuss. ;)

Most major error coins are not varieties. Many minor error coins are varieties. Most vaieties are error coins but some varieties are not error coins.

Does that help :D

LOL. Exactly!

With the coins shown, the die crack is minor enough that many coins might have been truck with that crack. So, they could be viewed as varieties.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    To me mistake at production at the Mint > error >< die crack ....... NO?

Well, they didn't intend the die to crack or for the cracked die to strike coins...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Error or variety?

Discuss. ;)

I wont get upset either way, but I came to understand that errors were "one-offs" - each being unique (even if many similar ones existed).

Die varieties, on the other hand, would include flaws or mistakes in the die itself (doubled dies, three legged buffalos, die cracks, etc.).

• Options

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Error or variety?

Discuss. ;)

I wont get upset either way, but I came to understand that errors were "one-offs" - each being unique (even if many similar ones existed).

Die varieties, on the other hand, would include flaws or mistakes in the die itself (doubled dies, three legged buffalos, die cracks, etc.).

I think there's overlap.

Here's a fun question then:

Is an "off-center strike" an error but a "misaligned die" a variety?

• Options
    edited September 12, 2019 10:58AM

It's really funny how things have becoming in general :)

A non coin related thought came to my mind.......
    The tattooed part of population used to be rare and exceptional but now since they are becoming the norm majority ..... the t-virgins are the most rare and well sought perhaps ;)

I bet Nobody cares or hunt for errors back in the 1800's

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

The term 'error' has, in the past, covered both
    mechanical errors and die varieties.

Today, we call Error coins those coins with striking mistakes,
    or planchet mistakes - and that would include die cracks, imo.

(double strikes, off metals, off centers, clips, partial collars,
    broad strikes, clad layer missing, etc. etc.)

Die Varieties are the RPM's, Doubled Dies, etc.

Although a die crack is a variety of the die, it's due to
    an error on the die - it cracked, as opposed to a die
    that received another impression from the hub ('55 DDO)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

...... a lot of things crack me up B)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks are both errors and varieties. It's an error because it's an unintended defect created by the mint. It's a variety because all coins struck by this die will show this characteristic which can be used to identify this specific die. Being an error or variety does not always make a coin more valuable but it can certainly make a coin more interesting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of die cracks in pre Civil War gold.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason I thought I had submitted a nice die crack as an error a long time ago and it did not grade as such. Good to know they will do it now. Not sure it's worth the extra grading fees though.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Just another way to take advantage of the current craze in minor "errors" or varieties and make some extra money in the process.

I don't consider a die break on a very carefully made and "special" coin - A PROOF, to be a "minor" error. Hopefully, I'm not in the minority.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@291fifth said:

I don't consider a die break on a very carefully made and "special" coin - A PROOF, to be a "minor" error. Hopefully, I'm not in the minority.

OK ... they may be worth ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Insider2 said:

@291fifth said:

OK ... they may be worth ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!

Well, we've narrowed the range down to somewhere between $0.25 and $1 million

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1tommy said:

First one J.T. Stanton Found Second one Fred Weinberg and still looking for there brothers...….

Enjoy Tom

Suddenly I need one of those.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 2:22PM

Die cracks were expected for early US coins, and the coiner did not remove the dies when cracks appeared. The chief engraver documented this. Some working dies were used again for multiple die marriages after die cracks appeared. When dies shattered and could no longer strike an acceptable coin, dies were removed from service.

Some early die marriages only appear with die cracks. I don't believe all 1795 three leaves half dollars should be called error coins.

Early coins with die cracks are die stages or die states of a die marriage. They were expected and are not errors.

At the point in time when the US Mint removed dies when a die crack appeared as part of Mint procedure, then it could be called an error.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks can be interesting.... and I will not debate the semantics. ;) ToMAYtoes, ToMAHtoes....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file