Home Sports Talk

Chicago & Green Bay are going to launch the NFL season tomorrow. I can't imagine a better prelude.

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 4, 2019 8:05PM in Sports Talk

Couple of interesting facts:

1) This was shot the morning after the Bears lost to the Dolphins, thereby ending their quest for a perfect season. Needless to say, the mood on the set was very subdued. In fact, Payton and McMahon were so soured that they refused to show up. (Later in the week they agreed to be added in from an undisclosed location.)

2) Whenever bronco went to a club in the 80s, the spectacle on the dance floor resembled Steve Fuller (#4) in this vid. Suffice it to say he always went home alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-U8E-NiPlw

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best days of the year is NFL opening night!! 🏈

And 😂😂😂 @ 2

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Galaxy- I didn't remember Steve Fuller was on that team.
    I used to argue with a high school buddy that Steve Fuller should be starting ahead
    of Bill Kenney for the Chiefs because Fuller was more mobile. LOL.
    This was like 1981-82. Long ago but not so far away I guess.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched that game live on TV.

If I'm remembering right, the Dolphins were around a 10 or 11 point dog, might have been higher, at Miami. Marino came out on a mission, and the Dolphins scored some early touchdowns, which seemed to shock the Bears, and it was basically over.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, if I remember correctly, the Dolphins brought back members of the undefeated team for a long pregame ceremony, and the game didn't start on time. Then the old players spent the duration of the game stalking the sidelines, too. It was a ploy to fire up the crowd and the Dolphins team, and make the Bears think about the history they were chasing, and perhaps it got them to thinking about it a little too much.

@countdouglas said:
    Also, if I remember correctly, the Dolphins brought back members of the undefeated team for a long pregame ceremony, and the game didn't start on time. Then the old players spent the duration of the game stalking the sidelines, too. It was a ploy to fire up the crowd and the Dolphins team, and make the Bears think about the history they were chasing, and perhaps it got them to thinking about it a little too much.

Also the interesting thing about that game, is the Dolphins were an excellent football team that season. For the books to make an excellent football team such as that, a huge dog at home, I've never seen a NFL line such as that before or since.

Players usually know what the point spread is, and Marino seeing that, in my opinion, had to hiss him off. I'm sure it also hissed off the entire Dolphins team.

The Dolphins just ripped the heart out of the Bears in that game. I'm not going to say the Bears quit, because that Bears team is arguably the greatest single season team in NFL history. However I recall after around ten minutes the Bears sideline seemed like a morgue.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I watched that game live on TV.

If I'm remembering right, the Dolphins were around a 10 or 11 point dog, might have been higher, at Miami. Marino came out on a mission, and the Dolphins scored some early touchdowns, which seemed to shock the Bears, and it was basically over.

If you are talking about the 1985 game, the line was pick em. Made absolutely no sense and a trap for bettors. I was one of them.

:#

According to pro football reference, the closing Vegas odds were Bears -2. I'm sure there were fluctuations, depending on the book you were placing bets with.

The Dolphins were 8-4 going into that game and ended up winning out, gaining the #2 AFC seed. They ended up hosting New England in the AFC Championship Game, having won 18 consecutive games vs the Patriots in the Orange Bowl. Of course, the Patriots won the game, only to be slaughtered by the Bears. I wonder, had the Bears gotten a rematch vs Miami, if the anger and motivation from that prior loss wouldn't have led to an even bigger blowout. Or maybe Miami would have shown they were a formidable opponent, once again.

You're right about the Bears -2 Vegas point spread according to a NFL stats website.

The line i mentioned was the line I received from a local bookie for a $50 bet that I placed on the Bears. I recall it was double digits. Probably this bookie, who was a small time neighborhood bookie, was taking so much action on the Bears, that he intentionally grossly increased the line that much to try to induce action the other way. I still took the Bears figuring the Bears were going to blow the Dolphins out anyway.

Oh well, Bears -2 or -12 didn't matter anyway, that $50 bill had wings. LOL

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere I still have a berry the bears tshirt, but the squish the fish hat is long gone :s

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2019 1:16AM

even being a longtime Bears fan, this thread topic has managed to dredge up information i was unaware of. i always liked Mike Richardson (#27), so i thought i'd conduct a search and see what he's up to today. convicted 21 times on drug offenses since his playing days was not what i expected to read.

https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Is Steve Fuller any relation to Mark Madsen? Why of course, they're meme cousins.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

Not that one game, but that great Bears season, wound up bringing Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan to the Philadelphia Eagles as the Eagles new head coach.

No sense getting into it here about Buddy Ryan's tenure with the Eagles. Suffice to say that Buddy was one of my favorite NFL coaches of all time. He was also the best assembler of defensive talent I've ever seen.

Buddy's "downfall" for lack of a better word was his game day coaching. To make a long story short, he had three consecutive first round playoff losses, each time with what I thought was a better team than the opponent.

He shouldn't have been fired for that, but the very unpopular Eagles owner couldn't stand Buddy's abrasive personality, and used the playoff losses as an excuse to fire him. I have no doubt that Buddy would have eventually brought a Super Bowl championship to Philly.

Andy Reid who was also an Eagles head coach, has the same "sickness" as Buddy had. In close important games, Reid freezes up and makes glaring coaching mistakes.

Perhaps Reid somehow can someday overcome that sickness and eventually win a Super Bowl as a head coach. As Reid should be considered great at putting a team together, as he is now 7th on the all time win list of NFL head coaches.

Reid is likely a future Hall of Famer, and a lock if he wins a Super Bowl.

Squish the Fish and Bury the Bears. Brings back memory’s, the Pats beat the Raiders, Dolphins then got squished and buried by the Bears 😲

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    One of the best days of the year is NFL opening night!! 🏈

The moment we've been waiting for.....

LFG!

Good luck to both teams.

Great NFL franchises with great fans.

@stevek said:
    Good luck to both teams.

Great NFL franchises with great fans.

I cannot stand Rodgers, I hope the Bears smash him

edited September 5, 2019 3:32PM

@MLBdays said:
    GB 23.......CB 31

@perkdog said:
    I cannot stand Rodgers, I hope the Bears smash him

i really hope you are right.......and i really hope they do too lol

unless you're a true Bears fan, it's difficult to grasp the level of hatred for Green Bay. it damn near incites violence. i am still so angry at Kyle Fuller for dropping the easiest pick in the history of the NFL last season in week 1, which ultimately opened the door for the Packers to steal the game. that happened almost a year ago and i'm still incensed........that's how easily this rivalry can get to you lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIElEU4f_w

edited September 5, 2019 4:17PM

@galaxy27 I totally understand the hatred. I’m sure it was as bad as Yankee hatred pre ‘04 for us Sox fans.

Will there will be 90 minutes of NFL anniversary back slapping . Pomp and circumstance , interviews with players grandparents , rags to riches feel good story telling? When is the actually kickoff? 1045 ?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Not that one game, but that great Bears season, wound up bringing Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan to the Philadelphia Eagles as the Eagles new head coach.

No sense getting into it here about Buddy Ryan's tenure with the Eagles. Suffice to say that Buddy was one of my favorite NFL coaches of all time. He was also the best assembler of defensive talent I've ever seen.

Buddy's "downfall" for lack of a better word was his game day coaching. To make a long story short, he had three consecutive first round playoff losses, each time with what I thought was a better team than the opponent.

He shouldn't have been fired for that, but the very unpopular Eagles owner couldn't stand Buddy's abrasive personality, and used the playoff losses as an excuse to fire him. I have no doubt that Buddy would have eventually brought a Super Bowl championship to Philly.

Andy Reid who was also an Eagles head coach, has the same "sickness" as Buddy had. In close important games, Reid freezes up and makes glaring coaching mistakes.

Perhaps Reid somehow can someday overcome that sickness and eventually win a Super Bowl as a head coach. As Reid should be considered great at putting a team together, as he is now 7th on the all time win list of NFL head coaches.

Reid is likely a future Hall of Famer, and a lock if he wins a Super Bowl.

I can't put into words how much I HATE Buddy Ryan!!!!! He was a POS SOB that should be banned from anything Football!

For what he did as a HC he should have been put in jail! His name makes me see RED!!!!!

What did he do? I mean he sucked but thats not exactly groundbreaking in coaching circles.

He fathered the idiot Ryan brothers is what I'll assume you mean

@bronco2078 said:
    What did he do? I mean he sucked but thats not exactly groundbreaking in coaching circles.

I believe he's referring to the Bounty Bowl games between the Eagles and the Cowboys.

@bronco2078 said:

He got away with what the N.O. coaches were suspended for. He put Bounty's on players! He was a POS!!!

I have no idea what Dimeman is talking about?

https://youtu.be/BpWPKktFjlo

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

He got away with what the N.O. coaches were suspended for. He put Bounty's on players! He was a POS!!!

what if he put a bounty on jerry jones? would that balance the scales of justice?

Landry had class...…….Ryan was a POS A$$!!!

Bears just can't get the offense going...……..defense is on the field way too long. JMHO

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

1st and 40 for Da Bears.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

I think I hear the fat lady tuning up!

anemic
    adjective
    ə-ˈnē-mik

1) relating to or affected with anemia Chicago's offense
    2a) lacking force, vitality, or spirit Chicago's offense
    b) lacking interest or savor Chicago's offense
    c) lacking in substance or quantity Chicago's offense

Example of anemic in a sentence:

dude, it's 1st and 40. wtf.

i know, right? hell, has our anemic offense gained 40 yards all night long? what channel is the bachelor on again?

Anytime your defense holds the other team to 10 points.....you should win the game!

But the offense stunk up the field.....so you get the L !! B)

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

The Bears got themselves in 1st and 40, I thought only the Raiders were capable of that.
    1st and 10 Holding
    1st and 20 Hands to the face
    1st and 30 Offensive PI
    welcome to 1st and 40, where few teams dare to venture.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

edited September 6, 2019 3:27AM

The Bears need a QB again 🤷‍♂️

@DIMEMAN said:

I agree that Landry had class, but it was the type of class that only Roger Staubach, and perhaps a few other players really cherished.

You saw the movie North Dallas Forty. You know what it was about. After watching that movie, nobody ever came walking out of the movie theater saying, "Oh, Tom Landry isn't like that in real life."

While with Buddy Ryan, most players absolutely loved playing for him.

Notice that despite the fact that many consider that Bears 1985 season team to be the greatest team in NFL history, when Buddy Ryan left after that season, the Bears never again won a Super Bowl.

mike ditka was an idiot

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Landry had class ..

I am old enough to remember the Cowboys when they first became a good team under Landry. It was in the mid ‘60s. That year they had a very bad habit running up the score on teams they defeated. I could look it up on the Internet, but off the top of my head they beat the Eagles, who were poor to mediocre as usual, by 40+ points in the Dallas home game. The Cowboys had the game won early, but Landry kept pushing. It really bummed a lot of Eagles fans, and the players too. At Philadelphia, later in the year, the Eagles upset them by something like 14 - 10. :p

I was never a Landry fan. It seemed that he was always on the sidelines scrawling even were he was winning, and some of his religious moralizing got on my nerves. You can attribute some of this to the Cowboy - Eagle rivalry, but I never cared for the man.

As for last night’s, what bore! The Bears’ offense was ridiculous. I went to bed on it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

Landry had class ..

I am old enough to remember the Cowboys when they first became a good team under Landry. It was in the mid ‘60s. That year they had a very bad habit running up the score on teams they defeated. I could look it up on the Internet, but off the top of my head they beat the Eagles, who were poor to mediocre as usual, by 40+ points in the Dallas home game. The Cowboys had the game won early, but Landry kept pushing. It really bummed a lot of Eagles fans, and the players too. At Philadelphia, later in the year, the Eagles upset them by something like 14 - 10. :p

I was never a Landry fan. It seemed that he was always on the sidelines scrawling even were he was winning, and some of his religious moralizing got on my nerves. You can attribute some of this to the Cowboy - Eagle rivalry, but I never cared for the man.

As for last night’s, what bore! The Bears’ offense was ridiculous. I went to bed on it.

Landry was a great football coach. Nobody is debating that.

But I would agree it's a heckuva lot more fun as a fan, to have a Buddy Ryan as a coach, than a Tom Landry.

And yea, i already know the retort from Cowboys fans, that Landry won 2 Super Bowls. And Buddy Ryan didn't win any as a head coach. And I know it's hypothetical, but I have no doubt that Buddy would have won Super Bowls with the Eagles if the stinkin' owner Norman Braman didn't fire Buddy for personal reasons that had nothing to do with football.

In my view, only the Jerry Jones firing of Jimmy Johnson was as dumb or perhaps even dumber than the Norman Braman firing of Buddy Ryan.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 10:18AM

I was telling the wife that defenses are usually ahead of offenses this time of year. Second that the Patriots don’t get serious until playoff time. Without breaking any unwritten forum rules we both liked the Pack and thought the game would be low scoring. Tonight we eat steak and lobster

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

someone told me today the reason the game was so bad was that they were not allowed to make any forward passes and they had to wear leather helmets .
    And that Trubisky sucks also Rodgers ,sucks as well

Maybe Trubisky and Rodgers should take some snaps in the preseason?
    That sucked. If Mahomes looks that bad Sunday, I'm giving up football.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

I always thought Tom wore a nice hat.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Landry had class ..

But I would agree it's a heckuva lot more fun as a fan, to have a Buddy Ryan as a coach, than a Tom Landry.

And yea, i already know the retort from Cowboys fans, that Landry won 2 Super Bowls. And Buddy Ryan didn't win any as a head coach. And I know it's hypothetical, but I have no doubt that Buddy would have won Super Bowls with the Eagles if the stinkin' owner Norman Braman didn't fire Buddy for personal reasons that had nothing to do with football.

In my view, only the Jerry Jones firing of Jimmy Johnson was as dumb or perhaps even dumber than the Norman Braman firing of Buddy Ryan.

Remember when Buddy punched Kevin Gilbride when both were on the sidelines?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@DIMEMAN said:
    Anytime your defense holds the other team to 10 points.....you should win the game!

But the offense stunk up the field.....so you get the L !! B)

I suppose you could turn this around. GB defense held the Bears to 3 pts. and they did win the game.

I saw some highlights , when did Rodgers forget how to throw a football?

Will Trubisky ever learn how to throw a football?

Did I see cordarelle patterson ??? thats funny

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Landry had class ..

Buddy basically put all his heart and soul into the Eagles, and Braman pulled the rug right out from under him. A younger guy could adjust to that, but Buddy was around 60 years old when that happened. Seemed to me like Buddy didn't really have his full focus on football after that, despite a few other coaching attempts.

Chicago & Green Bay are going to launch the NFL season tomorrow. I can't imagine a better prelude.
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 2,851

So the NFL season just got sacked. Where do we go from here?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited September 6, 2019 7:37PM

@Darin said:

Maybe Trubisky and Rodgers should take some snaps in the preseason?

@bronco2078 said:

Did I see cordarelle patterson ??? thats funny

i'm actually glad you guys brought these points up, because that's what i'm hopping mad about today. and when i say mad, i'm not even remotely joking. Kyle Fuller last year, Matt Nagy this year. his judgment and play-calling has been piss poor all preseason and was an abomination again last night.

this is not a rhetorical statement, i seriously want someone to come along and explain to me the benefits of having 4 f*cking preseason games, only to have your starting quarterback throw a grand total of zero passes in any of them. should it really come as a surprise that Trubisky looked like the second coming of Dan Orlovsky last night? what, all of those precious reps in practice are supposed to get him ready for full throttle week 1 of the NFL season?

and if that wasn't bad enough.....

if i see another handoff to Cordarrelle Patterson on 3rd-n-1 again, i swear i am going to go berserk. Nagy pulled that stunt when the Bears were driving in the 1st quarter, and to the surprise of no living organism on planet earth, he was tackled for a 2-yard loss to stall a drive in GB territory.

if this keeps up i'm going to break out copious amounts of exclamation points

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Landry had class ..

Getting hit by a guy older than 60 is like getting hit by a woman. You kinda have no choice but to take it 🤷‍♂️