Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know most hate this set, but I could rip 1988 Donruss all day long. I still love looking at the Grace and Jefferies RCs. They were such an iconic part of my childhood! First, here were the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

I still get a thrill pulling these, even when they are not GEM MINT...

I was happy to find 8 contenders for PSA 10 in this round...

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it’s hate my friend. ‘88 D is just the poster boy for junk wax. I don’t mind it at all.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is 1 fisheye enough to keep a card from being a 10 - Chris?

Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Don't rip the Larkin on top!

@ahopkins said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Don't rip the Larkin on top!

I was just scrolling down and saw the same thing. Don't do it, Chris!

Haha...thought you two might notice that. I set it aside for now 😉

Whew, PM incoming.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I know most hate this set, but I could rip 1988 Donruss all day long. I still love looking at the Grace and Jefferies RCs. They were such an iconic part of my childhood!

These were the first cards I ever purchased. Me and a couple friends got perfect scores on a standardized test in 2nd grade so our teacher took us to the local Family Dollar store during lunch and gave us each $5 (imagine how that would go over these days). My friend who had older brothers that collected convinced me to buy cellos of '88 Donruss. Eric Davis ($.75) and Wade Biggs ($.60) were my best pulls according to his price guide. They went to the top of the stack and felt the full wrath of the rubber band that I wrapped around them. After that I was hooked. I defend '88 Donruss like I defend my first kiss. Definitely not my proudest moment, but an absolutely instrumental step on the ladder.

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Well Chris.

I remember you saying that you were being extra tough on grading?

IMO, you stand correct.

I just checked 1981 Topps - here's the main stats:

PSA 10 13,486 out of 75,824 submissions - that's about 18%

IMO, this bodes well for your fastidious handiwork!

Keep in mind that when people submit cards, they don't submit cards that they think will come back a PSA 6. so the pop reports are heavily skewed relative to what you actually pull from unopened material.

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Is 1 fisheye enough to keep a card from being a 10 - Chris?

I have certainly seen a handful of 10s that have a very minor fisheye, so I don’t think it is impossible if it is in an inconspicuous spot. That said, if I see a fisheye then I don’t put it in the grading pile for these sets.

• Options

How about some 1989 Donruss “The Rookies” this morning in the hunt for a perfect Junior? Here goes two sets...

• Options

This is a cool looking set. Donruss “The Rookies” sets continue to be a grading challenge though given the tightness of the cello wrap and its impact on rounding corners. Here were the key cards that didn’t make the cut for PSA 10...

Love the look of this Griffey card, but neither make the grading cut...

I did find these 2 contenders across the two sets...

• Options

Back to the breaks. Up next is a 1989 Topps vending box. Let the hunt for a perfect Biggio RC continue...

• Options

I have always liked the look of this set and have fond memories of chasing the Gregg Jefferies Future Stars card along with the Abbott and Sabo RCs. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the cut...

Always fun to pull these key RCs...

I was happy to land 14 contenders for PSA 10 in this condition challenged set. Some decent star power to boot...

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred Lynn...funny, I just watched a video of the 3rd inning of the 1983 All-Star game in which the AL roughed up Atlee Hammaker for 7 runs, 4 coming on a Grand Slam by Lynn. The NL had won 11 in a row and 19 of 20 going into that game. I remember watching that game as an 11 year old. It was played in a time where the fans of the host stadium team really wanted their league to win. That seemed much more important then compared to the All Star games of today.

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

14 contenders out of a 500ct vending box is pretty good, well done!

• Options

Time to go back to where my love for this hobby began. I could rip 1987 Topps all day, so it’s a good thing there is a ton of it out there 🤣

• Options

This set is so loaded with iconic rookies. Unfortunately, finding dead centered copies without print issues is a challenge. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the cut...

This box would have me counting my future fortune in cardboard wealth back in 1987. I would have done a backflip for this McGwire hot box as he assulted the rookie HR mark of 49 in a season. Technically not his RC and no longer the rookie HR king, but regardless this card is top 10 for “iconic during the decade” cards from the 1980s.

I did manage to find these 4 contenders for PSA 10...

• Options

Time for 12 more rack packs from the 1988 Donruss case I cracked last week. I love the Grace and Jefferies RCs from this set. Here’s hoping for some GEMMY MINT examples...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

I did manage to find these 4 contenders for PSA 10...

Gumby!

• Options

I never opened any 89D rookies - they look pretty good Chris.

Onto the 87s - a favorite of mine.

I couldn't resist a bargain @ .20 per - if he ever went into the hall? I'd find the 700 ct. box and "hunt" for 10s.

Looking forward to the 88D - the borders: what we they thinking?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

Looking forward to the 88D - the borders: what we they thinking?

Yes sir...those borders make 1988 Donruss tricky to find in GEM MINT. That said, I am still pumped about finding one of my favorite childhood cards in flawless contending condition. More on that in a moment. First, here are the stars and rookies that didn’t make the condition cut...

And I managed to pull these two RCs...

It is the last of these 6 contenders for PSA 10 that has me feeling like a 12-year-old kid again. I loved this Grace RC as a kid and still think it is one of the most attractive rookies of the 1980s!!

• Options

Love my Sunday morning "catch-up" with this thread!

• Options

Let’s chase some Griffey RCs. Up next is a box of 1989 Fleer...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Let’s chase some Griffey RCs. Up next is a box of 1989 Fleer...

This sounds like a great day to me!

• Options

Coffee is ready, let 'er rip!

• Options

This set has such a simple design, but it is my favorite looking Griffey RC. His Bowman is a close second for me, followed by the iconic Upper Deck rookie. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the cut...

I pulled all of the big 6, but none were GEM MINT. The Ripken was the black box version. The good and the bad of Fleer is that the distribution in a box is incredibly even. That means you should get close to a full set and very few duplicates if any.

Unfortunately this entire box was off-centered. I only found these 4 contenders for PSA 10...

• Options

Thank you!

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭✭

Wow man! Amazing stuff! Thanks for the commentary while busting these packs. I'm learning a lot.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2019 3:23PM

@TheThrill22 said:
    Thank you!

@Parkerplenty123 said:
    Wow man! Amazing stuff! Thanks for the commentary while busting these packs. I'm learning a lot.

Thanks for following this thread and commenting along the way. It makes this journey that much more enjoyable.

• Options

I seem to be fixated on the year 1989 for some reason. Up next is a 1989 Topps vending box. Let the hunt begin...

• Options

Always a fun break. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

I did manage to pull the HOF RCs...

And found these 6 contenders for PSA 10. It was a White Sox hot box condition wise. Though it is a TBTC, I have always loved the look of the 1984 Topps Traded Gooden XRC...

• Options

Up next is a 1988 Topps cello box...

• Options

Quality control for 1988 Topps leaves much to be desired. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

I pulled these three RCs, but none were GEM...

I did manage to find these 7 little pieces of perfection though...

• Options

That Zonk card is sharp! Always loved his unique follow through when he swung the bat.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭

I spent hundreds of hours ripping 88&89 Topps and building sets. And loved every minute of it! Great seeing this stuff in all of its glory!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

I love cello boxes fresh from a case. The thrill of lifting each pack, waiting to see the cello below to reveal if a star is showing on top. Just adds a little thrill that wax cannot deliver. Up next is a case fresh box of 1987 Topps...

• Options

This was where it all began for me, so 1987 Topps is extra nostalgic to rip. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grading cut...

I found two cool star cellos too. Mike Greenwell was a key RC back in the day...

And this cello has star power on both sides. Ozzie on top and a Palmeiro RC on the bottom...pretty sweet!

I also pulled these key cards from the box. Such awesome looking cards, but none were GEM MINT...

These were the only contenders for perfection in the box. Always cool to pull a perfect Cobra...

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't open the Greenwell pack!!

Andy

• Options

Isn't that a great Will Clark card, Chris?

I like it over his RC.

He's one of my "not sure" favorites to be in the hall.

He's got a life time BA over .300 over 15 seasons which in ML BB is quite rare IMO and a respectable amount of HRs.

Mike
  • Options

@ahopkins said:
    Don't open the Greenwell pack!!

Haha...thought you would like that pack Andy. Don’t worry, it is still sealed and set aside.

@Stone193 said:
    Isn't that a great Will Clark card, Chris?

I like it over his RC.

He's one of my "not sure" favorites to be in the hall.

He's got a life time BA over .300 over 15 seasons which in ML BB is quite rare IMO and a respectable amount of HRs.

Hey Mike. The 1987 Topps is technically Will Clark’s RC, but I am guessing you are picturing his 1986 Topps Traded in your head as his first Topps card. I agree that Will the Thrill is an oh-so-close candidate for the HOF. He had an amazing and sustained career and one of the sweetest swings the game has ever seen. I think Mark Grace is in the same camp with Clark. Likely just outside the Hall, but amazing players in their era and steroid free!

• Options

1987 Topps has so many awesome rookies. The 88 McGwire card with the RC cup card is cool but its kind of funny that he has 2 iconic "Topps RC" cards before that. I've never considered his any of his 1988 cards rookies. . If you're looking for suggestions I would love to see you open some 84 fleer. Thanks for doing this

• Options

@Mikefth said:
    1987 Topps has so many awesome rookies. The 88 McGwire card with the RC cup card is cool but its kind of funny that he has 2 iconic "Topps RC" cards before that. I've never considered his any of his 1988 cards rookies. . If you're looking for suggestions I would love to see you open some 84 fleer. Thanks for doing this

Thanks for following this thread. Completely agree that the first 3 McGwire Topps cards (1985, 1987, 1988) are classic 1980s cards for me. I will add a box of 1984 Fleer to the very near future rip pile. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Options
    edited September 8, 2019 4:22AM

Up next is the first half of a case fresh rack box of 1986 Topps. Tricky black borders and some iconic photography make this one of my favorite looking sets from the 1980s!

• Options

LOVING this! Thank you sir.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭

I got serious in 87 and that Mac card was booking at $4 by late season. Loved ripping wax packs back then and seeing that gorgeous green come through.

I wish I could go back to 1987 me and drop off a few dozen key boxes for that kid to rip. He was NOT an unopened collector!

Thanks for sharing the awesome rips - as usual!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@TheThrill22 said:
    LOVING this! Thank you sir.

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Thanks for sharing the awesome rips - as usual!

Thanks for following this thread Tom and John. Love when others share their collecting memories!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Ryno is great! Curse you, print dot!

Andy

• Options

Beautiful Mattingly!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mattingly and Ripken are right next to each other on an uncut sheet, so it makes sense that the cuts would be clean with good centering for both. Nice!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Mercy! Well done!