Home Sports Talk

Seattle wins the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

College football, a cold one, and Clowney finally on a team. One heck of a Saturday.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats Dave

your team just exploited the hell out of an organizational mess otherwise known as the Houston Texans and picked up a stud for a bag of peanuts

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2019 9:05AM

Mingo is a nice LB...Hawks are just too deep at that position.

Jacob Martin hurts. He's turning into a really nice player. Oh well, still happy overall.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great move by the Seahawks,Clowney should fit right in with their defense. The report I saw earlier had two different players than Mingo & Martin. Mingo is a decent player but nowhere near the game changer as Clowney.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mingo is the village bicycle baby , everyone has had a ride !!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 6:53PM

Mingo was one of my all time favorite sidekicks. With Fess Parker as Daniel Boone.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited August 31, 2019 7:12PM

I would get up at 530 to watch that before work , I was sad when they stopped rerunning it last winter.

On the otherhand they now show the avengers instead , I've decided I prefer Emma Peel to Mingo

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn he he would have looked great with a Star on his helmet!

They're saying the Texans traded for Tunsil and a receiver from Miami for several draft picks.
    Hello, Deshaun rookie cards, come to Daddy!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just heard that not only did Seattle give up close to nothing for Clowney but Houston is on the hook for 7M of his salary this season as well. That was a straight up fleecing.

I thought the rumor was that houston kinda had their shit together , this is a terrible deal , they paid him to go away ?

I wonder if he beat up his wife and its about to hit the papers

The more I read, the more I realize the Seahawks got away with complete larceny. 72 hours till kickoff!

Dave

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will all come out in the wash.

In my opinion there was likely some problem, perhaps a bad one, behind the scenes with Clowney and Houston. Maybe a locker room brawl with a coach or something? Maybe a discipline problem of sorts?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Clowney really that good?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

To add insult to injury, Houston is also picking up half his salary this year.

Even if he walks at the end of the year (and gets a monster contract) Seattle gets a compensatory 3rd round pick back. The Seahawks had a sketchy pass rush, after losing Frank Clark. A motivated Clowney should help.

72 hours!

Dave

@Dave99B said:
    To add insult to injury, Houston is also picking up half his salary this year.

Even if he walks at the end of the year (and gets a monster contract) Seattle gets a compensatory 3rd round pick back. The Seahawks had a sketchy pass rush, after losing Frank Clark. A motivated Clowney should help.

72 hours!

Dave

houston would have to give seattle their pick back ! There has to be something seriously wrong with this guy

@JoeBanzai said:

YES.

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

YES.

1 sack every two games and 2.5 tackles a game doesn't look that great to me.

He wouldn't even start on the Vikings.

What's so great about him?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

YES.

He is a disruptive force and I would take him in a heartbeat. He got those numbers playing for Huston...….need I say more!

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

YES.

He is a disruptive force and I would take him in a heartbeat. He got those numbers playing for Huston...….need I say more!

Disruptive force? I don't get that.

What difference does it make that he plays for Houston?

Never been higher than 20th in sacks. Highest he has been in QB hits is 17th last year when he dropped to 24th in sacks, Forces one fumble a year, recovers 1.5 fumbles per year, makes 2.5 tackles (solo) per game.

He's supposedly a great athlete, but doesn't really do much as far as I can see. I don't see many of his games, so I would like to know what makes him so great.

Maybe I'm spoiled as a Vikings fan, but I like both our DE's better than him. I don't know how much of the time he plays linebacker, but he sure doesn't make many tackles.

out of jj watts shadow hes nobody

I'm not trying to rip the guy. I just see a great athlete who isn't as good as he should be on the field.

You could make a similar complaint about Anthony Barr of the Vikings. Amazing athlete but doesn't dominate games. Some Barr fans say it's because the Vikings system isn't a good fit for him.

@JoeBanzai said:
    I'm not trying to rip the guy. I just see a great athlete who isn't as good as he should be on the field.

You could make a similar complaint about Anthony Barr of the Vikings. Amazing athlete but doesn't dominate games. Some Barr fans say it's because the Vikings system isn't a good fit for him.

Like you say he is a great athlete and in the right defense with the right coach he is a person I would love to have on my team......unless he has off the field problems that I don't know about.

@JoeBanzai - He’s extremely disruptive, and often wrecks plays. Not JJ Watts disruptive, but then again, who is?

You claim you don’t really watch many of his games. My advice: Watch his games, and report back.

Dave

What I'm saying is the other team focused on Watt , when Watt was hurt and klowney was the main guy he did nothing

1) i've watched a ton of Clowney, and 2) i always keep it real. so here goes...

to this point, he has not lived up to his lofty draft billing.

he has not been a world-destroying force from a sacks point of view (has never had double-digit sacks in a season).

but when you leave your JoeB and bronco shell, the advanced pass-rushing metrics tell a different story.

Pro Football Focus graded him out at 89.5 in 2018 -- seventh among edge rushers.

he ranked second among defensive ends and outside linebackers in push-win rate, which measures how often a defender can shed a block in less than 2.5 seconds. translation: he's both powerful and quick.

he is an ELITE run defender. second-best off the edge last season.

he is only 26 and still has immense physical gifts and talent. that means the potential for his sack totals to rise is still there. and i believe they will.

bottom line: you want this guy on your defense. and you especially want him for next to nothing, which is essentially what the Hawks gave up in return.

what about winshares hes way down on that and era too B)

@bronco2078 said:

when Watt was hurt and klowney was the main guy he did nothing

does making the Pro Bowl each year Watt was hurt constitute nothing?

less bloviating, more watching bronc :p

its bronc-ivating maybe ,

I'll hire a small focus group to firm things up

@Dave99B said:
    @JoeBanzai - He’s extremely disruptive, and often wrecks plays. Not JJ Watts disruptive, but then again, who is?

You claim you don’t really watch many of his games. My advice: Watch his games, and report back.

Dave

Not going to watch more sports, that's why I asked what the big deal was.

He's a linebacker who doesn't make many tackles and a out of this world pass rusher who doesn't get many sacks.

@galaxy27 said:

you especially want him for next to nothing, which is essentially what the Hawks gave up in return.

This might be true, otherwise why not get something for him?

I would think that with all the attention Watt gets, Clowney would have bigger numbers. Like when Doleman benefited from playing with Millard. Millard was a beast! Doleman was only good at grabbing the QB who was being chased by Millard, but he did have the ability to sack the QB. Perhaps Clowney should stick to playing DE?

I don't really care, and no one has really given me any reason to think he is great (other than athletically) so I'm moving on.

Hope he does well with his new team. Except when they play the Vikings ;-)

@bronco2078 said:

i think you and i should set up the most obscure wager ever. if Jadeveon Clowney is credited with 10 or more sacks this season, you should be forced to fly to Lubbock, TX and stare at the sky for 12 hours straight without blinking. if it's less than 10, i'll pay a portion of your state income tax for 2019. but you'll have to tell me exactly how that works, seeing as i've never once had to do it.

:p

that is obscure alright. Don't get me started on state tax , they friggin emailed me today and spooked the crap out of me. How did they know I'm renting a room out on the sly? Apparently after oct 1 theres a tax on it and they just wanted me to know

Another thing in Clowney's defense (pun intended) is that he was drafted as an offensive lineman. Which means he has been learning a new position. ;) This hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge. Sorry if it has.

Its pronounced Klowney

@DIMEMAN said:

Another thing in Clowney's defense (pun intended) is that he was drafted as an offensive lineman. Which means he has been learning a new position. ;) This hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge. Sorry if it has.

it's barely 8 pm CDT..........what's the daiquiri count up to?

it hasn't been mentioned because it's not true

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Pretty sure it is true...…….no SD's tonight.

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I apologize. I went out and double checked and he did play defense in college. I sure thought he was drafted as a OL.

Sorry …….. I was wrong. :/

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

i think you and i should set up the most obscure wager ever. if Jadeveon Clowney is credited with 10 or more sacks this season, you should be forced to fly to Lubbock, TX and stare at the sky for 12 hours straight without blinking. if it's less than 10, i'll pay a portion of your state income tax for 2019. but you'll have to tell me exactly how that works, seeing as i've never once had to do it.

:p

My brother used to live in Texas, I believe they once made him buy new car tires when his car didn't
    need them yet. They can stick it to you in other ways, doesn't have to be state taxes.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Seattle is down to clown now. It's a great fit.

edited September 30, 2019 5:12AM

I have an extension on my browser that tells me if there are trackers on a site and there were 27 on the nfl website , it took so long to load that I forgot why I clicked

Spectacular play - game changer.

Dave

completely wrecked that game last night, including another house call.

One man wrecking crew.

Dave

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Just an incredible talent. Was definitely worth the price they paid to Houston....still don't get why it came to Houston letting him go.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Just an incredible talent. Was definitely worth the price they paid to Houston....still don't get why it came to Houston letting him go.

Because they were feuding with him. They classified him as an LB in order to pay him less money. Basically, he plays both DE & LB and was going to get franchised and get a pay raise. The Texans classified him as the cheaper of the two positions and he got mad about it

I know, but why would Houston keep up that hard line stance. You know what he is and what kind of game changing talent he is, why not just pay him?

@galaxy27 said:
    completely wrecked that game last night, including another house call.

meh shitty coaching to let one guy do all that, they needed to double team him at least some of the time at least , but they never made any adjustment at all . Even at halftime they didn't do anything

He was just making moves on guys like they weren't even there. Just an amazing game for him in the national spotlight

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    I know, but why would Houston keep up that hard line stance. You know what he is and what kind of game changing talent he is, why not just pay him?

Because they felt he had underperformed and was an attitude problem.