Home Metal Detecting

Three day weekend

rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really surprised.... A long holiday weekend and very few finds posted.... Must have been a lot of barbecues and trips... ;) Cheers, RickO

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the caked dirt has been removed from the 12 cents I dug yesterday, the lineup is as follows. Wheaties 1914, 1917, 1918, 1919. IHCs 1879 1882 1887 1895 1896 1901 1901 1909. Images soon. No hurricane here, I'm going back tomorrow. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you get some big silver. Good luck

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds Roy... That is one heck of a great site you are working....Silver tomorrow for sure... Cheers, RickO

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went out yesterday to the soccer fields near my house. I steer clear from the playing field and just wand through the sidelines. 3 quarters, 2 nickels, 9 dimes, 15 pennies and one pin from a Stop and Shop grocery store. All modern clad coinage.

• namvet69
    That is more IHC's than most people find in their lifetime. I'll go out on a limb and hope you find some gold tomorrow.

@metaldetectinghound That would be very nice. I think about that big silver dollar or small gold coin. Kinda odd that it's been all cents and dimes so far. The date spread is great at 1865-1919. More to come, have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@ricko @metaldetectinghound Dug 8 more IHCs yesterday, same spot, 4 wheaties are soaking 1910, 1914, 1917, 1918. No silver but I'm grateful for what I've dug so far. I think there's more to come. Raining here today. Peace Roy

Wow... that site must have an interesting history... lots of change dropped...perhaps an old sports field or fair site... Cheers, RickO

• @ricko
    Perhaps that site was an old lovers lane. The excitement was galore possibly....

@ricko @metaldetectinghound Happy Monday guys. Dug 8 more IHCs and one wheatie yesterday at the same spot. They're soaking but went to 6" for two strong signals that I thought were gonna be large coins. No such luck. Knocked the rust off to reveal them to be 2 old forged splitting wedges made out of railroad spikes. The old Belvidere & Delaware line used to run along the river downhill from where I am. Resourceful woodsmen! Peace Roy

Wow Roy.... those are some big chunks of metal.... Thanks for the pictures ... and still pulling the IHC's...Great. Cheers, RickO

@ricko @metaldetectinghound Here's the 8 dug on Sunday. Date spread is nice. All 2-4" down, I moved large downed wood to hit on these coins. Definitely worth the effort. Peace Roy

Wow...some nice IHC's there Roy.... Great finds, but sounds like some work involved....Cheers, RickO

• @Namvet69
    Hi Roy,
    I detected for almost fifteen years and I never found an IHC. Quite a spot you have there. Continued good luck. Again, I still hope you can find a gold coin or a piece of gold jewelry on that site. I go this Friday for my first High Dose radiation treatment for my lung cancer. I will have five treatments and the doctors tell me I will be cured. Ken

@metaldetectinghound .... Best of luck with your treatments Ken....Hope you are back swinging the coil quickly. Cheers, RickO

• @Namvet69
    Hi Roy, In one of your posts, you mentioned that 4 Wheaties are soaking. Do you mind telling me what solution you were soaking them in and for how long? Thanks,
    Ken

@metaldetectinghound first I soak them in distilled water for 12-24 hours. That usually rehydrates the caked on soil which often falls away from the coin with a strong stream of a water pick. Sometimes the organic matter buildup is more intense so I go to a soak in hydrogen peroxide for several hours. H2o2 does dissolve much organic matter. Then a qtip pat and roll. Mineral oil bath for a few hours. Qtip pat and roll. Voila! Peace Roy

@ricko went back to the same woods today, couple of IHCs and one silver treat. 1889 seated dime. The Liberty is strong on the obv and the corn on the rev is too. I am jazzed.
    BTW tomorrow is Friday the 13th, I'm not superstitious although it is my 70th birthday. Peace Roy

@metaldetectinghound check out my other post on this locale, say hello to the twins. That's where this dig started. Going back on Saturday after a soaking rain.

@Namvet69....Happy Birthday Roy...Another great silver find...Hope you have a special find for your birthday. Cheers, RickO

@ricko Finally dug a key date IHC yesterday. 1878 at 2" after I moved some large downed tree hunks. Even after 36+, I know there's more. Have a good day. Peace Roy

Very nice Roy...that sure is a productive and interesting site you are working...There must be an interesting history to that site...maybe this winter, check the local library for history of that area. Cheers, RickO

• @Namvet69
    Thanks very much for the formula you use for soaking the coins. I appreciate it very much.
    Ken

• @Namvet69

Belated happy birthday. It is great to see you swinging the coil at 70 years. Just shows that we old boys can still do it. Great site you have been working. Hope you find many more IHC's out there. Do you have any competition at that site?

@metaldetectinghound no competition, I'm up off a road, on a flat area in the woods, soil is like powder for the top 2-4" , then lots of small to medium smooth round rocks for 2" , then light brown soil on down. Lots of big worms under the leaves, I mean big like 6-8" long. I'm probably 200' above the Delaware river. Big oak trees 4-5 feet in diameter. Yesterday, dug 6 IHC, 3 wheaties, 1912 Barber dime showing Liberty. I'm spoiled cause this is gonna end at some point although I'm marking some spots of 10+ " for my shale bar and pickaxe due to thick roots. Pics soon. Peace Roy

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get them Roy. Big silver just in the next swing. Btw. Thank you for your service

• @Namvet69
    As you more than likely know, there are "All Americans" in football, basketball, and other sports. From the finds you have been reporting, including the 'twins', I think you are an "All American" in metal detecting. Way to go. Keep it up.
    Ken

Finally dug a 70's IHC. 1876 with strong Liberty. 1913 1915 1918 Wheaties. Have a good day. Peace Roy

Nice finds Roy....That IHC looks great.....Cheers, RickO

• Wow---That 1876 IHC being 143 years old is quite impressive. Very nice looking coin. Finds that you are posting are only in some of our dreams. I'll bet you hope winter doesn't ever come.

@metaldetectinghound I've nicknamed this dig oyster cove. Yesterday I dug 4 wheaties 1916, 1918, 1919(2) and 3 IHC's 1876, 1886, 1893 and a railroad spike. Brought home a fresh water oyster shell for my wife. Coins are soaking. Have a good day. Peace Roy

Another fantastic dig Roy....time for some more silver now... Cheers, RickO

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoying the finds! Thanks for updating this.

Back to oyster cove yesterday, one 1882 IHC and a 1902 Barber dime, got attacked by yellow jackets while digging up the dime. 2 hits behind my right knee, it was worth it. Have a good day. Peace Roy

Wow.... be careful... Yellow Jackets are nasty... and could spur a sensitivity/allergy. Nice finds... Cheers, RickO