Home Precious Metals

Anybody want to post a chart of gold in Euro terms?

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case you see discussions of the topic in coming weeks. ;)

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

;) !!!

Timbuk3
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't fall for it men , its a trap

lol, isn't the euro having a bit of an existential crisis?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Recession pressures from Italy, France up next, German factory orders puking... and the ECB sees no recession in sight. Other than that....

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

euro is a disaster EU needs to be dissolved , unless you are Germany then its neato.

Incredible bit of salesmanship there. All you democracies come here and give up your right to make your own decisions . These bureaucrats that no one voted for and you can't get rid of will take charge. Oh and once you are in you are not allowed out .

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 8:19PM

21% increase in 6 months. :)

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 10:25PM

(Drunken, bizzare non sequitur deleted)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dollar up
    Gold down

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Anybody want to post a chart of gold in Euro terms?"

Performances
    .....................................................5 days ......1 month..... YTD ..............1 year ............5 years
    Gold Price per Ounce (EUR).. + 0.87% ......+7.74%...... + 23.56%....... +34.28% ..... +40.94%

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated in another thread "gold is at record highs in most currencies other than the dollar. Dollar is next."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

recently, gold is not going up with a declining dollar. it has been the trade war.
    however, the past couple of days it has been up dollar and down gold.

@derryb said:
    As stated in another thread "gold is at record highs in most currencies other than the dollar. Dollar is next."

for the dollar to decline, something else would need to rise. what currency would that be? CHF ? that trade gets crowded fast. JPY? ditto and JPY has its own internal problems.

what would need to happen is for there to be some black swan event like the trade war intensifying instead of subsiding. The US would still be in a strong position, but the fear trade would be on.

@derryb said:

Prescience is not your strong suit.

@MsMorrisine said:

what would need to happen is for there to be some black swan event like the trade war intensifying instead of subsiding. The US would still be in a strong position, but the fear trade would be on.

Would Trump not getting a 2nd term be a black swan?

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

nor is trolling yours.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

nor is trolling yours.

Anyone who disagrees with you is a troll. Suck it up buttercup.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

nor is trolling yours.

your sig line once stated you troll (the uninformed(?))

@cohodk said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Would Trump not getting a 2nd term be a black swan?

technically that is bringing in politics.

anyway, as I say gold is up due to the trade war, and perhaps election results may change the trade war, I'll leave it as "too soon to call," and decline to elaborate on further questions in this line.

edited August 31, 2019 2:04PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

nor is trolling yours.

You would disagree with me even if I agreed with you. Shame you can't put as much time and effort into legitimate discussion, but it has become obvious that's not why you are here. Same goes for your lap puppy.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

nor is trolling yours.

You would disagree with me even if I agreed with you. Shame you can't put as much time and effort into legitimate discussion, but it has become obvious that's not why you are here.

I think the topic and follow up of this thread should be quite evident.

You call anyone a troll who challenges the mistruths you post. Shame on you.

I will apologize for not condoning your lies.

edited September 1, 2019 9:11AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

for the dollar to decline, something else would need to rise. what currency would that be? CHF ? that trade gets crowded fast. JPY? ditto and JPY has its own internal problems.

Once can look at the purchasing power of a dollar vs. the purchasing power of competing currencies or one can look at the purchasing power of that dollar vs. it's purchasing power in the past.

Dollar strength (dollar index) is determined by how it compares to other currencies. Dollar value is determined by what it will buy. When buying gold we are talking about it's local value.

A high dollar index does not guarantee purchasing power, especially when the currencies it is being compared to have lost a lot of their buying power. Buying power can decline with all of them at once, yet one of them is better than the others. So yes, we could see gold advance in price in all currencies at the same time, something that is very likely and indicative of a global economic downturn.

Gold price is the barometer with which we measure confidence in the currency it is priced in as well as confidence in those managing that currency. Contrary to popular belief it is not a hedge against inflation. It is a hedge against central banks.

A decline in purchasing power is tied to inflation

The euro zone inflation is at 1.1%, which must be a problem with negative savings rates. I'd guess net real is still under 2%.

prices are fairly transparent. Calculation of inflation, not so transparent. I like to think that any inflation is a result of currency destruction/devaluation. Central banks control the gas pedal. Price of gold reflects current confidence in them.