Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To Keep Rolled or Not to Keep Rolled?

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2019 11:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I came into the possession of several rolls of circulated Buffalo nickels that I plan to sell. These nickels are contained in what seem to be somewhat older rolls with "Vernonia Drug Co." stamped on the side. However, I am stumped: Should I unroll the nickels, or keep them rolled? Does it matter? I would love your opinion.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s already been searched.

Why not search it again?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely look!

• Options
    grayroadsgrayroads Posts: 211 ✭✭

If wrappers are your thing, then keep them rolled (really re-rolled). Otherwise examine each coin carefully and don't assume that another numismatist has already done the work for you. Hope you are surprised!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course you should search them. No biggie as you can easily put the coins back in those types of rolls!

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look and then post pictures.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not call those bank rolled. It could be that the bank that accept them required the person or company to put their name on the roll in case the count was off. The Drug Company may have just had a stamp to deposit the coins to save writing the name over and over, so no special premium or even any idea what might be in those rolls.

What makes you think they are all Buffalo nickles?

Just carefully open and analyse.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bust open the rolls. They're not bank wrapped.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 6:54AM

Un-roll and Re-roll ...... we WANT to see it ALL

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

you should at least check to make sure the middles are not Jeffersons

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, those are not sealed, just rolled. So unroll away. and rewrap when done. The old wrappers might be intriguing to a buyer but no one should be under the impression they are "original" (unsearched) rolls.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:
    I came into the possession of several rolls of circulated Buffalo nickels that I plan to sell. These nickels are contained in what seem to be somewhat older rolls with "Vernonia Drug Co." stamped on the side. However, I am stumped: Should I unroll the nickels, or keep them rolled? Does it matter? I would love your opinion.

Any roll wrapped like that can be unrolled. A shotgun roll sometimes gets people thinking there's unsearched potential. A roll like that would easily allow you (or someone) to swap out coins so there would be no "vintage roll" premium. IMHO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 8:22AM

With folded ends you cannot say that they haven't been out of the rolls. May as well be in a tube.

That being said, if you want to preserve the wrapper, you can put the whole thing in a quarter tube.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file