Home Sports Talk

Andrew Luck is retiring from NFL ....thoughts and anecdotes~

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are losing a heck of a competitive QB ...what could have been ... ??

Comments

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2019 8:02PM

Luck SUCKS for doing this!

"Says he is mentally wore down"

What a little girl😥

Put on your "Big Boy Panties" and get back on the line!!!!!!

GrandAm :)
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

ruined by the colts !

edited August 24, 2019 7:03PM

Cam Neely was forced to retire from the same condition , the colts organization is so awful I blame them for Cam Neely too !!!!

Surfeit of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow I think he’ll be able to make his rent payment.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I would hate to be the guy who invested a fortune in his cards.

edited August 24, 2019 7:17PM

Bring back Peyton.

He is 10 times the quarterback Andrew is or was.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought he was that great anyway. This just shows he hasn't got what it takes to play NFL Football.

@MLBdays said:
    @Tomi ...now is right time to make some of those LOWBALL offers.....and it'd still be too much.

I just can't bring myself to collect modern players. This situation is just one reason. Made a mistake with Mark Prior and definitely won't happen again. Just can't believe the prices for players that are just rookies or haven't even played a pro game. Throwing $20-30K for a hyped up beginner is just insane.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luck was great when he played and was healthy. If you say otherwise you obviously didn’t watch him play. The guy has had enough injuries at a young age though that I don’t blame him for hanging up the cleats. He just doesn’t want to be a vegetable by age 40. Good for him.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

@MLBdays said:
    @Tomi ...I'm sorry to hear your still reeling over Mark Prior from 15 ~20 years ago.....ouch.

Would have been nice to stock up on Tom Brady stuff instead when he was a nobody coming out of college.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peyton was rushed out the door for this guy lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

In 6 seasons he tore cartilage in 2 ribs, partially tore his abdomen, lacerated a kidney, had atleast 1 concussion, tore his labrum in his throwing shoulder, and has had calf and ankle issues.
    Dang some of you guys are hardcore for calling the guy out for retiring.

What I Collect:

@MLBdays said:
    I would add just the fact that Luck at 29 could take a year off or two years off even.....and decide to return ....he was an amazing competitor and a beast who dealt with a huge shoulder issue ...all this while Jim Irsay left him vulnerable behind a very below average offensive line for a couple years of brutal pounding....Irsay reaped what he sowed.

What team mates would want to play with a "Quitter"?

He Says "he is mentally wore down"

Doesn't say is is quitting because of injuries. I think he owes more than this to his teammates, coaches and yes his owner.

@GRANDAM said:

@MLBdays said:
    I would add just the fact that Luck at 29 could take a year off or two years off even.....and decide to return ....he was an amazing competitor and a beast who dealt with a huge shoulder issue ...all this while Jim Irsay left him vulnerable behind a very below average offensive line for a couple years of brutal pounding....Irsay reaped what he sowed.

Doesn't say is is quitting because of injuries. I think he owes more than this to his teammates, coaches and yes his owner.

Yeah he is mentally wore down from his body falling apart at age 29. It’s not that hard to figure out.

What I Collect:

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The next Johnny Unitas never was.

NFL is toast anyway so no great consequence.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomi said:

@MLBdays said:
    @Tomi ...I'm sorry to hear your still reeling over Mark Prior from 15 ~20 years ago.....ouch.

Would have been nice to stock up on Tom Brady stuff instead when he was a nobody coming out of college.

I remember Brady at Michigan......and he wasn't a nobody. ;)

@orioles93 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@MLBdays said:

Yeah he is mentally wore down from his body falling apart at age 29. It’s not that hard to figure out.

He would get alot more respect if he said he was retiring due to injuries but he didn't say that. He is done.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2019 8:59PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tomi said:

@MLBdays said:

But you are thinking of Brady Hoke. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luck got screwed over by the Colts a few years ago so they deserve it. He is also a complete pussy which doesn’t help the situation at all

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Luck won nothing of importance.

edited August 24, 2019 9:41PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tomi said:

@MLBdays said:

Amazing he was the 199th overall pick in the 6th round. Pretty sure he was not on many anyone's radar in card collecting. Played one game as a rookie and two the next season. After that,boom!

edited August 24, 2019 10:11PM

@Tomi said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tomi said:

@MLBdays said:

Amazing he was the 199th overall pick in the 6th round. Pretty sure he was not on many anyone's radar in card collecting. Played one game as a rookie and two the next season. After that,boom!

And forget about his cards, I remember them being sold in bargain bins at card shows back in 2000. Freaking awful missing the boat on that lol 😂

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i highly recommend being completely trashed when an unexpected retirement goes down

soooo trippy

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe he just wants to settle down and become a plumber.

edited August 25, 2019 12:36AM

He still will have to go thru rehab. The way I understood from his press conference he will be doing it at the Colts complex. The right way to do this would have been to gone thru rehab,,,,,,, don't push it take however long it takes, all season if necessary. At some point Luck and his doctors will know for sure if he will heal or not.

If he heals and feels good he might have changed his mind and want to play again. The way he has done it he will forever be remembered as a quitter and just another guy who might have been,,,,,,,,,

I think he owed the Team this much.

I am a COLTS Fan and WAS a Luck Fan,,,,,,,, he has dissappointed me greatly,,,,,,,,

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm stunned.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

You quit a sandwhich with a hair on it, you don't quit on your team.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Glad I never bought his card

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Seriously he has to quit. This is the Cam Neely thing he has , weird bone chunks are growing in his muscle tissue. I'll forgive you clowns that weren't B';s fans at the time. It went on for years , he was missing huge chunks of time , playing every other game for a while , not practicing .

You can not do that as an NFL QB , the team can't switch QB every game , the team plays one game a week and the QB isn't just a guy that can take a quarter or a series off to rest.

It's ovah

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 6:16AM

He's very rich and tired of being injured. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 6:31AM

Cards that were selling for several thousand days later selling for several hundred.....OUCH
    I can't wait to see what happens to the auctions some CLOWNS had that were overpricing his stuff before this happened "waiting for that 1 sucker/desperate collector". Good luck now.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians

@steel75 said:
    Cards that were selling for several thousand days later selling for several hundred.....OUCH
    I can't wait to see what happens to the auctions some CLOWNS had that were overpricing his stuff before this happened "waiting for that 1 sucker/desperate collector". Good luck now. 😂👍

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, Jim McMahon, Jim Tyrer, Mike Webster, Frank Gifford, Ken Stabler, and Nick Buoniconti are just a few of the men who sacrificed so much, to the detriment of their lives, and the lives of their families. I applaud Andrew Luck for deciding what was best for himself and his family.

Andrew Luck's FULL Retirement Press Conference | NFL News

https://youtu.be/PehTdoAzREo

Pasted:

Andrew Luck
    HistoryStatistics
    Career Earnings: $109,107,998
    Career APY: $15,586,857
    Total Guarantees: $69,107,998
    Largest Cash Payment: $44,000,000 (2016)
    Largest Cap Hit: $24,400,000 (2018)

@MLBdays said:
    It's not out of the realm for a competitive guy like Luck to take a year or two off and return b/c he is going crazy without the game......It wouldn't surprise me one iota.....he could still play another 6-8 years or longer ....but Im still not buying his cards on that agenda....

We shall see, but considering the money he has and the tone of that press conference, I'd say the chances of Luck ever coming back are zero.