Home Sports Talk

Canadian Football League

electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2019 12:40PM in Sports Talk

I was reading an article in another forum about how big high school football is in Texas, a sport tv interviewer asked an American player what he thought about the stands being almost full at a CFL game his reply was " I saw more fans at a high school football game"

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, HS football is huge here in Tx.

I don't know anything about the CFL's popularity. As much as I love football, I am surprised that I have never taken a closer at the CFL.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football in Texas is on a whole different level.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canadian Football has been around a lot longer than the NFL, it started in 1958 and before that they were playing for a long time. Some great AFL players went to Canada to play

• RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

You won't find any more loyal fans than Saskatchewan Roughrider fans. Grey Cup has been going on over 100 years.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 7:08PM

I know RAPTORSRULE04, i worked in Lloydminster Sask. and Rider Power is very popular.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

CFL is OK......that is where a lot of NFL players go when they are cut here. The weakest NFL team would beat the CFL Grey cup team.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stadiums the high schools build here in Texas are unbelievable. The 5A schools build stadiums with 25k-40K capacities and fill them every Friday night. Championships are played at Jerry’s place. I was born in Buffalo, NY and when I came down here in 1987 I was blown away by the mania surrounding HS football. I remember driving by this huge stadium the first month I was here and asked what college played there? Lol. That’s our HS. We close the town on Friday nights.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.