Home Q & A Forum
Options

Shipping Insurance Description

I am about to consign to one of the popular auction houses for the first time. Based on what i can find USPS is the recommended and with full value insured. I am wondering if i should avoid putting coins in to the insurance description and wonder what everyone else has done in the past. Also wondering if i should list the value based on what i have paid in the past (around $10K) or rough current market value (around $7K). Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019 6:30AM

@doppeltaler

“Collectibles” is a good generic term. My PO doesn’t ask questions as long as the form is filled out properly. Helps that I am on good terms with the worker bees.

USPS standard insurance is $5000 max.

USPS registered mail is $25,000 max. So you’ll need to use this and even if the value was less than $5000, I would still use it for anything over $500.

Value should be the current market value or cost. If you have your purchase receipt from the original purchase that would be a good. If not, then current market value at time of mailing (print out current valuations) and save until safely delivered. You need either one if something happens and you need to file a claim.

https://pe.usps.com/text/DMM300/503.htm

There is also third party insurance, but I’ll leave that for others to answer. You may also want to post in the US Coin forum for more responses.

• Options

Thank you !

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe above "quotes" are for mailing with USPS only within the USA?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Good advice from Doppeltaler.
    Most insurance policies contain a 'Plain Wrapper Warranty' which states that the label should not contain any words that identify the contents. The usual concern is when sending to 'John Hancock Rare Coins' -in that example the label should be abbreviated to JHRC.
    Any insurance questions on shipping, feel free to ask.