Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Penny Press Machine!

CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2019 2:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So i work at a coin shop that would like to own a custom penny press, do you guys have any recommendations on where i could go?
thank you guys!

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

A “press” to do what?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    A “press” to do what?

My first thought was that he’s talking about making custom elongated cents

I guess it could be something like a Masonic cent or some counterstamp

• Options

im sorry guys!
    smashed penny!!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinNovice said:
    im sorry guys!
    smashed penny!!

Can you post a picture of an example of what you are looking to do? That would be most helpful.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean the souvenir elongated cents that cost 51 cents and should be made with pre 82 cents?

• Options

i am looking for something like this :D

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinNovice said:
    im sorry guys!
    smashed penny!!

The correct term is "elongated cent." You can smash a "penny" on a railroad track.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019 4:18PM

@CoinNovice The squished penny community and the round coin community don't have a lot of overlap. Some, but not a lot.

I suggest this link: https://tecnews.org

Cindy and Tyler are very nice people and I would contact them. Tyler might know the best where to get a machine. There is a lot of variation in the machines, their overall quality, and in the details of operation.

If you can go to the ANA show in Rosemont this month, TEC will have a well-staffed table. The TEC annual meeting is in the morning on Friday, August 16th.

P.S. The Elongated Collectors has a Facebook group too. You do not have to pay TEC dues to participate in this FB group.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019 4:08PM

Pennybandz.com
    Or
    elongatedcoin.com

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact us anytime at info@elongatedcoin.com or by calling us at (970) 731-3800

The info you want is all over the internet. Some small hand cranked machines are under $200. The vintage machines are on the link for a start.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

The info you want is all over the internet. Some small hand cranked machines are under $200. The vintage machines are on the link for a start.

i found the info online, just maybe thought i could get it from someone in the community.
    a small hand cranked one would be fun. nothing too complicated, yet effective.
    Thatd be great!
    i will be emailing you :D

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Namvet69 said:
    I have a foot long slice of railroad track and an 8 pound sledge. Peace Roy

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the dies. You will need to pay someone to cut those

• Options

At an ANA show several years ago I saw a very basic hand cranked press, possibly even hand made.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have several elongated cents....picked up at carnivals and one from a coin show.... Must be in my exonumia box - somewhere...I have not seen one that did multiple types of coins such as shown above. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@JBK said:
    Don't forget the dies. You will need to pay someone to cut those

of course!
    we are ready for it,
    weve been wanting a penny press for a while!

• Options

@CoinNovice said:

@Insider2 said:

i found the info online, just maybe thought i could get it from someone in the community.
    a small hand cranked one would be fun. nothing too complicated, yet effective.
    Thatd be great!
    i will be emailing you :D

LOL. Please don't email me, I cannot help you any more than I have. The Internet is your friend and there are several hand cranked small machines that are not the same as the image of the one you posted.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geee,,,,when the OP said something about "smashing Penny" I thought he wanted to make mashed kitty out of Charmey's cat and serve with gravy or sour cream....

• Options

Groan...

• Options

well that was fun!
    I shall keep looking since im fairly new to this.
    I guess i was looking for a walk through or some kind of help
    with the dies and what not.
    maybe i asked for too much. :D
    thank you!

Close thread please

• Options

@CoinNovice said:
    well that was fun!
    I shall keep looking since im fairly new to this.
    I guess i was looking for a walk through or some kind of help
    with the dies and what not.
    maybe i asked for too much. :D
    thank you!

Close thread please

There is no "close thread" feature.

If you had searched the forum you would have found another recent thread from a member who is having his own dies made for an elongated coin. I am sure he has some advice to share,

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that the thread starter CoinNovice was able to find what he set out to acquire.

Followed a youtube link by rmorgan on another thread and came across the following. Not exactly pertinent to the OP's query but has interesting history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmmO0zT0XE

:)

My wife and I used to regularly collect these elongates souvenirs whenever we saw a machine and the below two were made when we visited the big apple in 1999 right before the millenium ball drop.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2022 11:07AM

Do any dealers bring these to shows like FUN? :)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins At the recent Chicago ANA, there was an area set aside for the YNs where they could search through a few thousand of the elongated cents. The ANA along with help from sponsors, sponsors this.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

That's actually cool. I didn't realized @Insider2 worked at ElongatedCoin.com.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of elongated cents. Every where that we go for vacation that has a machine we make at least one of each of the available varieties. When we get home we add them to our album. Some nights we will get the album out and take a trip to the past looking at the cents. They are wonderful keepsakes and not that expensive. Our first few cost 26 cents (a quarter and a cent). When we go on trips I carry a small bag of quarters and cents just in case we run across one of the machines. Our last trip, to the Creation Museum in Tennessee, they had a machine and I believe it was loaded with cent blanks and kept your 2 quarters and cent and elongated the copper blank.

• Options

@vulcanize said:
    I hope that the thread starter CoinNovice was able to find what he set out to acquire.

Followed a youtube link by rmorgan on another thread and came across the following. Not exactly pertinent to the OP's query but has interesting history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmmO0zT0XE

:)

My wife and I used to regularly collect these elongates souvenirs whenever we saw a machine and the below two were made when we visited the big apple in 1999 right before the millenium ball drop.

Unfortunately i was not, But the internet did help me as suggested.

That is a great video! Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinNovice said:
    i am looking for something like this :D

Lamberts Cafe!!!!

Great place to visit - watch out for the flying hot butter rolls!!!!

BST references available on request

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    Forum member @lordmarcovan had these elongated coins made up.
    They're made from a Barber dime, a Mercury dime, an Indian Head Cent and a Lincoln cent.

I have the elongated set that @lordmarcovan had made. If I remember correctly, he had them pressed with his custom die made by Cindy's Cents. http://www.elongatedpenny.net/
    I have found Houston Zoo and Hoover Dam elongated cents in the Coinstar reject bin and added them to my collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file