Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Mystic Stamp Company World Bank Note Collection

I purchased this banknote collection for a song and a dance. The binder was all beat to hell and had water damage. But luckily 99% of the pages are good and all of the notes are good. I have never seen this before and I am wondering if these notes are actually real because they all are in perfect condition. I am showing the cover sheet and two pages but I have over 250 notes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

No reason to think they are not real. Might get a decent return as a group. I am sure there are no rarities.

Would be be interesting to see what they have for European countries. Most of those have been replaced by the euro.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Give me some names of countries you’d like to view and I’ll post on this thread. By the way I paid $27 for everything.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

What is there for Britain, France. Ireland, Germany.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Too my surprise I don't have any of those four countries in this book.

Interesting. Those would have had real face value at the time. Maybe the set was just low value (at the time) foreign notes.

• @JBK said:
    No reason to think they are not real. Might get a decent return as a group. **I am sure there are no rarities. **

Would be be interesting to see what they have for European countries. Most of those have been replaced by the euro.

I wouldn't be so sure... There are many modern rarities.

True story: Early in my collecting career, I bought a 25-note "job lot" for $9.99 from a dealer in Minneapolis. Random world notes. 15 years later, long after I had focused my collecting on certain Middle Eastern countries, I donated a stack of my "el cheapo" world notes to Ron Wise, for posting images online. A couple of years after that, he reached out to me: apparently one of the notes I had donated, from Lesotho, was super rare, one of the keys to the country. Someone saw the image online and offered $500 for it!

You just never know. Sometimes -- not often -- these collections of the world include notes that were super cheap but quickly became obsolete. It's worth the hunt IMO and part of the fun!

tRemonds me> @as219 said:

True story: Early in my collecting career, I bought a 25-note "job lot" for $9.99 from a dealer in Minneapolis. Random world notes. 15 years later, long after I had focused my collecting on certain Middle Eastern countries, I donated a stack of my "el cheapo" world notes to Ron Wise, for posting images online. A couple of years after that, he reached out to me: apparently one of the notes I had donated, from Lesotho, was super rare, one of the keys to the country. Someone saw the image online and offered $500 for it!

You just never know. Sometimes -- not often -- these collections of the world include notes that were super cheap but quickly became obsolete. It's worth the hunt IMO and part of the fun!

That is great.

Reminds me of some years ago when the Zimbabwe ten trillion dollar notes were available for 2 or 3 dollars. I picked up three uncirculated ones at a coin show. I almost got an AU one to carry around in my wallet as a conversation piece. A few years later the supply had dried up and they were (are) selling for a hundred or two each.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    Give me some names of countries you’d like to view and I’ll post on this thread. By the way I paid $27 for everything.

DiggerJim

You aren't going to lose money on that buy!

All glory is fleeting.