Home Sports Talk

This is potentially an epic story!

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand everything about the story except for the "epic" part.

MLB teams learned from the Tim Tebow story about how publicity can be generated and revenue can be generated thru stories such as this.

I'd say the chances of this guy ever pitching in a MLB game are extremely slim, and the chances of him staying healthy and earning a spot in the rotation are next to zero.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2019 8:20AM

Like I said it could be “Potentially “ an “Epic” story. We are not talking about some Division 1 Athlete who won a Nationsl Championship who is religious and plays by a impossible set of rules here we are talking about some kid who got signed by throwing a fast ball in an arcade style game in a park while attending said game and getting signed by a MLB team. So if this kid does happen to fall outside of your ridiculous “Zero” percent chance and that 1% chance he gets to the bigs it will be an “Epic” story regardless of how you look at it.

There are "epic" stories in sports all the time in various situations and different ways.

This is more of a publicity stunt than a potentially epic story.

But since it's your thread, why don't you occasionally google the guy, keep tabs on him and see how he's doing? If one day he becomes part of a MLB rotation, then i'll stand corrected.

But my advice would be don't go heavy on his minor league rookie cards. LOL

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect Paul.....it's one thing to throw a ball 96 MPH......and yet another to get MLB hitters out on a regular bases.

@DIMEMAN said:
    With all due respect Paul.....it's one thing to throw a ball 96 MPH......and yet another to get MLB hitters out on a regular bases.

Paul was posting again without first having some coffee in the morning.

I've warned him about that before. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

Absolutely right.

High schools, colleges, and minor leagues are littered with pitchers who could throw hard, but either couldn't control it, the ball had insufficient movement, tore their rotator cuff or blew-out their arm in some way.

I’m not saying the kid is going to be a phenom. All I’m saying is it has the POTENTIAL to be an epic story. IF the kid turns into a winning MLB pitcher then case closed it’s tough to beat this type of story, it’s much better than the “Grew up in a trailer and my grandma worked 3 jobs so I could buy a ball and glove”, if not no harm no fowl

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2019 11:01AM

Ah, it’s a great story PERIOD when someone is plucked off the streets like this sight unseen. No matter what happens.

Not comparing at all but listen to David Cone talk about being at a one day tryout in KC which was mostly done as a publicity stunt every year back then. He didn’t even play high school ball because his high school didn’t have a team. Amazing stuff

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Thanks for posting some common sense Dan 🍻👍

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, this is a jaded crowd here, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I just hate it when anyone abuses the English language with words of exaggeration in a scholarly forum such as this one.

Thankfully, i have never done anything like that about the Phillies or Eagles.

Wasn't Joe DiMaggio discovered in a drug store many years ago? Now that was an epic story.

Oh sorry, that was actress Lana Turner.

Never mind.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2019 9:22PM

oops

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

BOOM
    Dude strikes out the side in his pro debut.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/fan-oakland-viral-pitch-debut

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

That's a good start, but it's rookie class level.

Let's see how he does when he steps up to face some much better batters.

edited August 19, 2019 9:17AM

@stevek said:

Doesn't matter what happens. It's amazing regardless. A dude off the street strikes out the side in his 1st game.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Ralph , from the show greatest american hero did it but he threw closer to 200mph

@softparade said:

@stevek said:

Doesn't matter what happens. It's amazing regardless. A dude off the street strikes out the side in his 1st game.

Amazing yes, but i'm going to hold off on using the word "epic" until if he does make it to the Bigs.

Despite the initial success, without question he's still a long shot to one day be in a MLB uniform.

Could make for an interesting story. We shall see.

Steve let’s hear a dissertation on an “Epic” story please, just so I will know

@perkdog said:

Once upon a time there was a man named Nick Foles.....

.....the rest of the story is a modern day epic similar to David and Goliath.

edited August 19, 2019 12:02PM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Ok you got me really good there. And yep it’s not even debatable. 🍻

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I was unaware that in the story of David versus Goliath that backup David did the actual Giant slaying.

;)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Wasn't Joe DiMaggio discovered in a drug store many years ago? Now that was an epic story.

Oh sorry, that was actress Lana Turner.

Never mind.

Joe’s ‘discovery tale’ - by the Seals and/ or the Yankees - is a good one, though.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

i really wish you would you stop making me chart (chuckle & fart simultaneously) while @ work

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charts > sharts

@MLBdays said:
    Please......no movie.

Perkdog would be first in line to see it. :D

@stevek said:

@MLBdays said:
    Please......no movie.

Perkdog would be first in line to see it. :D

I’d wait for it to come out on Netflix or on Demand 😜

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the story is misleading because it calls him a fan and then waits a few paragraphs till it mentions that he actually played some BB, albeit in High School several years ago. it would be like mentioning Jimmy Morris and forgetting to say that he had actually played Minor League baseball.

--- here's the thing, the comparison is to personnel management --- it is far easier to take a person who can manage people and teach him the business than the other way around.
    --- it is far easier to take a man who can throw 96mph and teach him how to "pitch" than it is to take a good pitcher and teach him how to throw 96mph. in fact, I will state the obvious and say that the latter is impossible.

if this young man can throw with that velocity with consistency and without hurting himself I believe he will make it. since he pitched in High School he is no stranger to the game. Professional Coaches will teach him how to throw a change-up, how to hold the ball differently so it "moves" more and possibly how to throw a slider.

he's young, I think the only impediment will be if he can avoid injury. again, remember Jimmy Morris?? B)

Based on all the enthusiasm in this thread, I just went on Ebay, spent a ton of money, and bought a very large lot of Nathan Patterson rookie cards, graded gem mint 10 by Fred's Authentication Kard Enterprises.

I now expect Patterson to one day anonymously enter the MLB Hall of Fame, and his rookie cards will by then be worth a fortune, making me a wealthy man.

Thanking all you optimists in advance. 💸

@stevek said:
    Based on all the enthusiasm in this thread, I just went on Ebay, spent a ton of money, and bought a very large lot of Nathan Patterson rookie cards, graded gem mint 10 by Fred's Authentication Kard Enterprises.

I now expect Patterson to one day anonymously enter the MLB Hall of Fame, and his rookie cards will by then be worth a fortune, making me a wealthy man.

Thanking all you optimists in advance. 💸

never talk about baseball cards , it makes you look silly

@1970s said:

That IS EPIC 👍

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

That IS EPIC 👍

You can say that again.

EPIC! 👏👍

Pasted:

He now has a 4.76 ERA across 5 ⅔ innings

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

Give the kid a chance. Sheesh 🙄

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

The sentence was PASTED as noted...from a website article.

I made no comment.

But Just a hunch that none of Cy Young's records are in Jeopardy. ;)

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

I made no comment.

Well my attorney told me you are both culpable and liable for that statement since it has your name attached to it. He will be contacting you. I have no further statement

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

I made no comment.

Well my attorney told me you are both culpable and liable for that statement since it has your name attached to it. He will be contacting you. I have no further statement

You're wasting money on legal fees.

Your attorney will never find 12 jury members to agree that this story is epic.

You may find one jury member to agree if that happens to be the mother of Nathan Patterson. :D

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

I made no comment.

You're wasting money on legal fees.

Your attorney will never find 12 jury members to agree that this story is epic.

You may find one jury member to agree if that happens to be the mother of Nathan Patterson. :D

Buffalo bills QB ? famous for 6 INT in one game

DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
    08/15/2019 @CUB2 0 0 0.00 0 1.0 0 0 0 3
    08/20/2019 @BRB 0 1 9.00 0 2.0 2 3 1 2
    08/25/2019 INDR 0 0 4.76 0 2.2 1 0 0 3
    TOTALS 0 1 4.76 0 5.2 3 3 1 8

I wonder why Patterson hasn't played since Aug 25th?

Maybe that league play ended for the season? Maybe he already blew his arm out?

I don't know.

I pawned my kidneys to buy 10,000 of his rookie cards, so i've got a lot riding on this. 😟

@stevek 🙄 Dig into it a bit more, I’m sure you will find the answers to your questions

@perkdog said:
    @stevek 🙄 Dig into it a bit more, I’m sure you will find the answers to your questions

I had just clicked on his team's website.

What...did he make the MLB Hall of Fame already when i wasn't looking? ;)