Home Q & A Forum

1902 Barber Quarter - Grading

va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited July 31, 2019 11:45AM in Q & A Forum

Would need this to grade out at around a low AU (50-53) to be worthwhile, and obviously not be cleaned. There are some fine scratches on the obverse.

Thanks in advance 😎

Virginia Beach, VA
Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 11:55AM

Some tough and blunt love for you <3 and keep posting! Your coin is a "Dog." There is nothing nice about it except that it is round, genuine, and made of silver.

Save your certification money.

Now, let's talk about it. You see the scratches and a little wear. What else?

• That's a great looking "dog" in my eyes ! I'll keep the mutt in a flip!

Virginia Beach, VA
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

• @Insider2 said:

Damage on the "0" ? Spotting?

Virginia Beach, VA

@va_resellers said:

@Insider2 said:

Back off the details... now look at the entire coin and focus on its color and surface. Describe what you see.

• @Insider2 said:

@va_resellers said:

@Insider2 said:

Back off the details... now look at the entire coin and focus on its color and surface. Describe what you see.

Lack of cartwheel....i.e. cleaned/dipped?

Virginia Beach, VA

Why is there a lack of cartwheel luster? Does the coin have any luster?

• @Insider2 said:
    Why is there a lack of cartwheel luster? Does the coin have any luster?

Yes it does

Virginia Beach, VA

Correct! It has lots of luster but the luster is not coming from original **Mint luster." Now, describe the surface in a few words and don't mention scratches, cleaning, or luster. What does it look like . What is its "texture."

• @Insider2 said:
    Correct! It has lots of luster but the luster is not coming from original **Mint luster." Now, describe the surface in a few words and don't mention scratches, cleaning, or luster. What does it look like . What is its "texture."

Overly Shiny given the visible wear

Virginia Beach, VA

Nope. "Shiny" does not describe the "fabric," the ""texture"

• @Insider2 said:

Smooth

Virginia Beach, VA

@va_resellers said:

@Insider2 said:

Smooth

Are you kidding me! There is not a smooth area anywhere one the coin except possibly the rim. Look again.

• @Insider2 said:

@va_resellers said:

@Insider2 said:

Smooth

Are you kidding me! There is not a smooth area anywhere one the coin except possibly the rim. Look again.

Rough....yes I was kidding

Virginia Beach, VA

• Can we say it was harshly cleaned at some point to close this thread out? I appreciate the help

Virginia Beach, VA

edited August 2, 2019 2:35PM

You can close it anytime. The coin is cleaned but not what I would call harshly. However, the excessive marks all over the surface + the cleaning is very harsh (damaged).

It's too bad other members could not learn from this coin. Thanks for posting it.

• I learned something....grading is not an exact science and is far more difficult than even many "experts" probably realize. So many nuances that really only a trained eye can spot. I appreciate the insight....plenty more to show!

Virginia Beach, VA

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

What type of cleaning creates the pitted texture?

Mechanical cleaning does not cause pitting. Chemical cleaning can. This coin has excessive marks.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of someone using toothpaste or some other very fine grit paste to clean/polish the coin. Really messed it up. IMO.

• I will be returning coin to seller....thanks for the feedback 👍

Virginia Beach, VA