Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS now grades dateless coins?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

News to me. I thought coins minimally needed a partial date or at least a type that the date is obvious (like a Chain Cent).
Is this a new policy for ANACS?

Comments

• Options
    KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Why not?

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

You got the money, they got the time.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing on the label that I would disagree with. Certainly a coin that I would never submit for slabbing but this coin may have sentimental value to the owner or someone took advantage of a 10 coin special and had only nine coins worth submitting so he grabbed this one on a lark to complete his submission. That's certainly a conversation piece at the local coin club. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be a great thing for that dateless buffalo nickel that your great grand pappy gave you fifty years ago.
    Great for a sentimental piece.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    This might be a great thing for that dateless buffalo nickel that your great grand pappy gave you fifty years ago.
    Great for a sentimental piece.

I'm sure ANACS would love to grade and slab all of your dateless buffalo nickels for their standard fee. :D
    On a serious note the 1916/16 DDO buffalo nickel can be easily identified even without the date and is well worth getting slabbed. Since it's a double die you can see doubling in the small feather on even very low grade specimens.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

No date errors have been graded by the major TPG's for some time.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2019 4:43AM

dbl post.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as it's correctly attributed and you gots da money it's all good. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an IHC like that.... have had it since I was a kid.... got it on the paper route....for some reason, always kept it with me. No, I will not get it slabbed... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have an IHC like that.... have had it since I was a kid.... got it on the paper route....for some reason, always kept it with me. No, I will not get it slabbed... Cheers, RickO

Has it started to tone?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled.... No tarnish.... fairly slick.... I do not allow tarnish ;) I have a sign posted in the coin area.... 'No Tarnish Allowed'..... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the submitter thunk he saw two sevens? Stare at anything long enough and people tend to see whatever they want to believe. For example, the following poorly struck coin, thousands like it have found their ways into MS66 and MS67 holders and top Registry sets. It's a really amazing thing when you thunk about it........it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw an anacs 1916 doubled die obverse nickel that they had graded ag03 that had absolutely no trace of the date but you could tell exactly what it was by the doubled ribbon ties and the doubling of the large feather. And they had always done dateless 1917 and 1916 standing liberty quarters in which 1916 and 1917 dateless type one p mint coins can be differentiated from one another by small differences in the design.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS correctly certified my low grade dateless 1799 large cent in the past; date was gone due to low grade and misalignment of the dies (typical for the die state) but it clearly hit all of the other attributes including the reverse "die chip".

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2019 6:34AM

NGC and PCGS does it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file