Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Newfoundland Cash Notes. Can someone please help with these ?? (NFL is in Canada)

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

the attached image shows 2 very scares Newfoundland Cash notes.
I own one of them but am not seriously in to Notes.
question: what grades can be expected ?
one has 3 signatures and the other has only 2
the one with the 2 signatures also has 2 holes caused by a stapler.
the back sides are blank which is normal for these notes.
there are only 3 of these known and I am thinking of selling the one I own. (one is at the Bank Of Canada Museum in Ottawa and the other is somewhere in private hands.)
Thank you all for your help

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Grade is going to be in the Fine - Very Fine range. The last issued piece sold was in 2017 where it fetched just shy of $2,000.00 in a Heritage auction. That was a PMG VF20.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

lettow, thank you for your response.
    are you sure about it? ? My research says that HA never sold a 80 cent 1908 Type : NF-4H with 3 signatures.
    there are a number of Cash notes that look exactly the same at first look.
    the one you mention is a 40 cent note, NOT a 80 cent note.
    thank you for your effort

You are right, what I saw was a 1905. Regardless of the date, I would not expect the value to be much greater than indicated for the 1905.

Shows you what I know. The 3263 note sold in a Geoffrey Bell auction in 2017 in a PMG F12 holder for C$7,750.00. It does have a third signature but it is very light.

one with 2 signatures sold for Can$ 9300 in 2017 at torex auction I just found out.
    there were only 5000 printed and over 4600 are accounted for as destroyed.
    only 3 survivors are known at this time. one of them is mine.
    2 and 3 are both certified as F 12. however, mine is more eye appealing and has the extra signature.
    But,
    thank you for trying to help. Earlier today I found a NFL collector who is very familiar with these notes.

edited July 15, 2019 4:49PM

3rd sign is not visible on the auction images. Nor is it on the holder as a signature if I remember right.
    are you the owner of it now?
    the price you mentioned is plus juice.
    I have decided to sell my note, plus 2 others.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, first thing that I noticed is that they are the same type-each with three signatures, two engraved and a manuscript signature below. Both appear to be signed by John Dwyer and whatever faded the signature probably also dulled the red serial number a bit, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.