Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you like to see the TPG industry standardize holder size? What else?

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like for the TPG industry to standard slab size. For one thing, it would be helpful to be able to store sets graded by different TPGs in the same box. Another thing I'd like to see them all do is add the description to the top of the slab.

Do you agree or disagree? Why? Is there anything else you'd like to see standardized with the holders?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 3:59AM

I like the general ideas of fitting into the box and having inserts that can be read from above. I don't think standardizing slab size is as necessary as fitting into the same box. For example, some holders are smaller than other ones but still fit in the same box.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I like the general ideas of fitting into the box and having inserts that can be read from above. I don't think standardizing slab size is as necessary as fitting into the same box. For example, some holders are smaller than other ones but still fit in the same box.

That was really what I was wanting, for the slabs to fit in the same box. I think we agree, we just reached it from different directions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not important to me.... I store my slabs in slab containers (PCGS) or a coin cabinet or my safe...just not an important issue for me...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they would label the edge.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adjustable slabs.

• Options

slab designs are a pretty important feature, almost like a TPG's face and personal identity. I think it would be a mistake to standardize them. plus, since they are all different it makes it easy to know what is what at a glance. if the shell was the same on everything it would be a tedious job finding a specific coin, especially for a large dealer at a show.

all that considered, my perfect slab would have an ICG outer shell, PCGS inner shell/insert(guts) and the SEGS top strip with a submission form option of the outer shell being the old, small ANACS.

sadly for some we could eliminate the NGC capsule altogether.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labeling the top of the slab would be an excellent idea. I'm all in favor!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let the customer choose the insert!

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

How would this be different from what they do already?

• Options

@koynekwest said:

I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t do this now since my understanding is that the patent has expired.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 11:07AM

Not a biggie for me but a pain in the rear at times.

More practical - a coin supply co like Whitman making a hard plastic slab storage box like the Teletrade slab storage box (holds all main types) would be a big seller for them.

I have coins in my inventory from the 4 services accepted by eBay - ANACS, ICG, NGC, PCGS. The above universal storage box would be wonderful.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

A) I wish they were smaller

B) I do think they get better with respect to added security features, scratch-resistance, etc.

C) What if they standardized around the current NGC holder? Not a fan of that! PCGS holder is the best. Though I am also a fan of the original NCG fatty.

D) I think only coins evaluated under today’s conditions should go into the newest holder. Coins that were over-graded years ago should be re-holdered with a re-holder designation. This could address some of the over grading problem.

E) I buy NCG boxes and they work well for both NGC and PCGS slabs.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Not the Lable, but the insert the coin is put in. Choose prong or no prong. Makes a Huge difference for error coins.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, I label my PCGS slabs (over 99% of what I have are PCGS) with this small removable adhesive label right on the top edge of the slab. This way I can identify what's what without removing each slab from the slab box. Top labeling sure would save me a lot of time and work as it's pretty labor intensive designing and cutting each label to size for 250+ slabs.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Not the Lable, but the insert the coin is put in. Choose prong or no prong. Makes a Huge difference for error coins.

Ah, I’ve typically seen the label called the insert and the ring the gasket.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@koynekwest said:

I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t do this now since my understanding is that the patent has expired.

Major redesign of the holder, and label, pretty much guaranteed not to stack with existing ones.

• Options

While we're on holder redesign, one thing I'd like is for the surface of the lens of the holder to be slightly concave. This would protect it against scratches when slid across a table or stored touching other slabs, and it would might lighting for photography a little easier

• Options

probably because it would mean an entire redesign of the slab to provide an additional insert while still making them stackable. it might be easy enough but it would be expensive and fit with the adage that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." the current PCGS slab is just fine.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great ideas here. Love the idea of a concave lens to resist scratching. A universal box would be nice. The top label idea is definitely a winner! Right now we have variety...different sizes, different labels, different core colors...I'm just happy they are stackable!

• Options

@keets said:

probably because it would mean an entire redesign of the slab to provide an additional insert while still making them stackable. it might be easy enough but it would be expensive and fit with the adage that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." the current PCGS slab is just fine.

Some might argue it’s broken like those that label the top of all their slabs.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    While we're on holder redesign, one thing I'd like is for the surface of the lens of the holder to be slightly concave. This would protect it against scratches when slid across a table or stored touching other slabs, and it would might lighting for photography a little easier

One issue with this is that they would be harder to buff.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as it is now. Each slab is an important identifier at a glance.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 1:20PM

@Zoins said:

@messydesk said:

I think the idea is having it concave would reduce or eliminate our need to buff them.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am all in for more scratch resistant.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Zoins said:

@messydesk said:

I think the idea is having it concave would reduce or eliminate our need to buff them.

I’m not sure that would work given what I’ve seen with ATS holders. They start off amazing but tend to get scratched up.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Zoins said:

@messydesk said:

It should reduce the need to buff them. I'm not talking about a major dish, rather only a mm at most from edge to center. That'll keep the center of the slab off the glass, keep it from rubbing the center of another slab, and do a little to make it easier to view and photograph coins in more direct light without glare.

Buffing might still be necessary on occasion, and it might be a little more awkward than on the current slabs, but my thumb isn't flat and would conform to the concavity of the lens.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

More variety attributions!

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabs with bits of real gold and diamands inlaid into the holder. Since we are paying for the plastic, we might as well get something for it. :)

• Options

@ARCO said:
    Slabs with bits of real gold and diamands inlaid into the holder. Since we are paying for the plastic, we might as well get something for it. :)

The SS Central America holders have real gold in them :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also in favor of choosing the gasket, prongs, or no prongs...

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about magnets so they stick to the fridge?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file