Home U.S. Coin Forum

*Answered. Rather quickly LOL 1951 Franklin half/SEGS- Crossover perhaps?

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2019 2:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am sending a couple of coins in later tomorrow and am debating on wether to throw this in or not? Thoughts? Or should I save that little bit :)

Comments

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I should note I did pay $25 dollars for this guy

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't, but $25 isn't bad

Collector, occasional seller

Well that is why I am here! Thanks for your input Chris

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, don’t think this is a 65. The reverse looks very mushy and scuffed up. The obverse has damage to several components. I would keep it as is.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

@DiggerJim said:
    Sorry, don’t think this is a 65. The reverse looks very mushy and scuffed up. The obverse has damage to several components. I would keep it as is.

DiggerJim

It is in a segs holder and I am not a expert in franklin’s I would say I agree now! Thanks guys

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:

@DiggerJim said:

DiggerJim

This.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2019 5:17PM

Does it hold much value to you beyond the $25 and keeping it as is? If it's not a financial strain perhaps you should crack and submit.

Edited to add: if you feel more comfortable, definitely take the already given advice of leaving it alone. My suggestion was really just to gamble and see what happens :D

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could submit the coin, but if what appears to be a large scratch above and to the left of the bell is actually a scratch, it sure won't help the grade.

• IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE

Cannot suggest a grade from the images but that “dot” to the left of Franklin’s eye is the definitive “tell” for a 1951-P RDV-001b over RDV-001a CONECA DDR-008 Franklin.

Look at the hanging bolts at the top of the bell and the bell clapper. The doubling on the eagle is somewhat muted. The left (viewers) hanger will also show a doubled “stub”.
    Here is the link:
    varietyvista.com/11%20Franklin%20Halves/DDR%20Detail%20Pages/1951PDDR008.htm

PCGS does not attribute this variety but still a nice pick!

unus multorum
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Appears to be solid for the 65 grade. SEGS uses technical grade as opposed to market grade, FWIW. Not much upside to crossing it but I bet it WOULD cross at grade.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse scratch is the only major issue visible.... It is a gamble....It may slab. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file