Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ID this Characteristic

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2019 9:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

You don't need to see the entire coin to get the correct answer. The poll is PUBLIC - sorry! Take a guess anyway. Hopefully, the advanced collectors will wait to answer. Then they can post the reason for their answer.

ID this Characteristic

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This appears to be a strike thru. Possibly a thread from a rag.

:p

• Options
    edited June 19, 2019 10:54AM

@amwldcoin said:

It appears one of the advanced collectors has answered correctly.

So, perhaps @amwldcoin will now take the time to describe the evidence in the image he used to make the correct determination.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep these coming, they are fun. Great pictures, too!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice and interesting pic

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This appears to be a large scratch.

I was going to guess struck through (a cotton thread from a blue work shirt to be specific :D ) but I changed to a scratched die since the "thread" did not make it into the R.

Can someone elaborate on this phenomenon?

Thx.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I said strikethrough, but was uncomfortable doing so as I'd have thought it should have gone over the R also.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I was going to guess struck through (a cotton thread from a blue work shirt to be specific :D ) but I changed to a scratched die since the "thread" did not make it into the R.

Can someone elaborate on this phenomenon?

Thx.

@ModCrewman said:
    I said strikethrough, but was uncomfortable doing so as I'd have thought it should have gone over the R also.

Since one of the advanced collectors has quickly answered correctly perhaps @amwldcoin will now take the time to describe the evidence in the image he used to make the correct determination.

I'm still waiting for @amwldcoin to tell us how he figured this one out. Otherwise, I'll go through the steps.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 12:47PM

If it was a post-mintage scratch, it would also be evident as a surface disruption of the top “R” Crossbar — which it is not.

Therefore I conclude that it’s a Strike Through most likely of a thread from a cloth rag used to clean the dies or other equipment used during the minting process.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options

@Stuart said:
    Therefore I conclude that it’s a Strike Through most likely of a thread from a cloth rag used to clean the dies or other equipment used during the minting process.

Yes, we know, but why didn't the thread affect the R? ;)

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

In reply to the following posted question, because the thread was on the surface of the die, not the incused part of the die, into which the planchet metal flowed which formed what is now a raised “R” surface on the coin.

@JBK said:

@Stuart said:

Yes, we know, but why didn't the thread affect the R? ;)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obvious answer so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it must be something else. :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be a defective blank to begin with?

• Options

@Stuart said:
    In reply to the following posted question, because the thread was on the surface of the die, not the incused part of the die, into which the planchet metal flowed which formed what is now a raised “R” surface on the coin.

??? I am not able to visualize this...

The surface of the die makes complete contact with the surface of the planchet, whether it is a flat or detailed area. If there is a thread on the die (or on the planchet) it gets squished between them everywhere it exists, whether it is a flat field or otherwise. The thread that is laying across the area that becomes the raised R needs to go somewhere....

• Options

BTW - was the poll question edited after the fact? :/ I thought the first question was "scratched die" not simply a "scratch" (on the coin).

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 2:34PM

Well if it was a scratch it would continue through the R!

Edit to add...the shape of the strike through and just knowing what they look like.

@Insider2 said:

@amwldcoin said:

It appears one of the advanced collectors has answered correctly.

So, perhaps @amwldcoin will now take the time to describe the evidence in the image he used to make the correct determination.

• Options

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this exercise.... :/ I thought the experts were supposed to refrain from answering, and if they did answer, to at least give an in depth explanation.

Anyway, some random thoughts...

A scratch on the coin would of course also impact the R. A scratch on the die...not necessarily.

In any case, I agree that it has all the characteristics of a struck through, but I am still wondering where the thread went that was in the area that was struck up to become the R. The thread's imprint is visible in the fields near the R and inside the lop of the R. So what happened to the thread that would have been struck into the R itself?

If you want to tell me that it was small enough that it was ground up and disintegrated as it was stretched into the die I might buy that, but I wont accept the explanation that it just magically disappeared. ;)

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 3:32PM

@JBK said:
    I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this exercise.... :/ I thought the experts were supposed to refrain from answering, and if they did answer, to at least give an in depth explanation.

Anyway, some random thoughts...

A scratch on the coin would of course also impact the R. A scratch on the die...not necessarily.

In any case, I agree that it has all the characteristics of a struck through, but I am still wondering where the thread went that was in the area that was struck up to become the R. The thread's imprint is visible in the fields near the R and inside the lop of the R. So what happened to the thread that would have been struck into the R itself?

If you want to tell me that it was small enough that it was ground up and disintegrated as it was stretched into the die I might buy that, but I wont accept the explanation that it just magically disappeared. ;)

I'm guessing, if we were allowed to look closer, there may be evidence of a few threads through the R, maybe stretched and broken by the die itself? Much of that evidence might be masked by the rough/cameo surface of the letter, though. Looking at the rim, you can kind of see that the thread starts to merge with the rough nature of the rim....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@TommyType said:

I'm guessing, if we were allowed to look closer, there may be evidence of a few threads through the R, maybe stretched and broken by the die itself? Much of that evidence might be masked by the rough/cameo surface of the letter, though. Looking at the rim, you can kind of see that the thread starts to merge with the rough nature of the rim....

Now that's an explanation that makes sense to me. :p

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike thru but not a thread. A thread would be a uniform thickness and would show the twist of the thread down in the valley, a piece of wire would also be uniform. Best chance this would be called struck thru wire if graded. The wire is a piece of metal that may have come from the edge of a coin as it hit the collar on ejection.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Looks like a strike thru but not a thread. A thread would be a uniform thickness and would show the twist of the thread down in the valley, a piece of wire would also be uniform. Best chance this would be called struck thru wire if graded. The wire is a piece of metal that may have come from the edge of a coin as it hit the collar on ejection.

Just my 2 cents :)

Interesting. Maybe the scrap melded with the metal that flowed into the R, and remained separate and fell away where it was struck into the fields.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upside down Russian radio antenna.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Strike through in think. A scratch on the die may/may not affect the area of the R and wouldn't a scratch on the die show up as a raised area n the coin. Hard to say from the picture but it does not look raised.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking closely at the, keyed scratch, (LoL sry). its 3 strikes , looking at each incrusion, each are touching
    in a different manner so to speak. Another way to describe its action, the 2 in front are climbing up its image
    area. However its a guess in the right direction. The other looks as a felt or lace surface. Made for a deva or just bling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went for the strike through... though I wavered for a while... the rim detail is what convinced me...Cheers, RickO

• Options

This is a strik thru. Members have explained how to tell. Very often the defect does not carry on to the relief because the strike obliterates it or it can be seen on just the sides of the relief when the piece is tilted under high magnification. Close exam of the inside of the mark will also reveal it is not a scratch.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 9:40AM

Does a strike through like this help the value of this coin or hurt the value of this coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Does a strike through like this help the value of this coin or hurt the value of this coin?

Good question because, I have a few coins with these and assumed they were scratches, and I think they are all on proof coins as well.

• Options

Depends. It hurts the value to most collectors but I know of at least two collectors who purchase any modern bullion or coin with the tiniest strike thru to send in for slabbing! When they go to sell (unless the marks are large as this one) they are going to be VERY disappointed when no one cares to pay a premium!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that it was struck through two seperate pieces, rather than one continuous piece.

If it was one piece, the struck through area would continue through the field next to the letters. On this piece, however, there is a space of unimpacted field between the struck through area and the lettering. The struck through would also likely be seen in the lettering, even with the laser frosted surface.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file