Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok Half Dime Variety Experts.... 6/19/19 - BIG UPDATE!!

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2018 7:33AM

Did you guys happen to see that NGC is making some changes on their VarietyPlus website? 1849/8 is NOT listed.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dimes/4734/514353/

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great news - it eliminates one of the prime sources of confusion.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2018 2:23PM

@oih82w8 said:
    Did you guys happen to see that NGC is making some changes on their VarietyPlus website? 1849/8 is NOT listed.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dimes/4734/514353/

So in other words the 1849/8 may not exist?

Is it known when NGC made that change?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

It is just a (more accurate) change of labels for the V-2 and V-4 (also V-6 and V-5).
    The old Redbook "9/8" is the V-4 (and V-5).
    The registry variety sets will likely still include both V-2 and V-4 obverses, as they are fairly easy to see and distinctive.

• Options

Just to clarify, the old Redbook "9/8" is actually the V-4 (and V-5) "9/6"?

• Options
    edited March 2, 2018 8:51PM

Yes.

My suggested labels are:
    V-2 (and V-6): "9 / Far 6"
    V-4 (and V-5): "9 / Near 6"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

The style of the 1846 date has a very fat 6, which could explain why the 1849 V-2 shows the underdate swinging way out to the right of the 9.

Could somebody please post a similar closeup of an 1848 just to show the style of the digits?

Thanks,
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2018 4:55PM

1848 V-5 MS-66 PCGS CoinFacts ex-Simpson

1846 V-1 MS-62 PCGS CoinFacts

• Options

Great, thanks!

• Options

No updates from our host received personally by me yet...

• Options
    edited March 3, 2018 11:57PM

Just for the sake of this discussion, here's one that popped up on eBay as an 1849/6 :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1849-6-1849-Over-6-Seated-Liberty-Half-Dime-90-Silver-PCGS-MS65-Template-Coin/142710152574?hash=item213a301d7e:g:Q6gAAOSwUgham3Sp

Here is it's cert page with a TrueView:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34953009

• Options

Almost all True Views show up in the CoinFacts list, including this one.
    Checking the cert, I already attributed it as a V-6.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2018 10:06AM

@ms70 that eBay 1849/6 shares the same characteristics (die crack at the head, dot on the denticle at star seven and die chip on the top of the Phrygian cap) as the one I have which I am trying to resubmit to PCGS for variety attribution.

I am going to stop by the CONECA table at Irving on Friday, if they are there, and see what they think.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Still in limbo. I'll e-mail or call next week... If I'm not buried in snow again.

• Options

Have been corresponding with Fivaz, Stanton and Bowers. Will summarize after I have had more coffee.

In the meantime, there is one suggestion on the floor that the TPG's certify the two dies as "1849 Overdate. FS-301 (or 302)" and not state what the underdate is. Your thoughts?

How do they certify the 1824 over various dates half dollar?

• Options
    edited March 18, 2018 12:16PM

@CaptHenway said:
    In the meantime, there is one suggestion on the floor that the TPG's certify the two dies as "1849 Overdate. FS-301 (or 302)" and not state what the underdate is. Your thoughts?

Personally I'm not a fan of that idea because then it just continues on as something to question and dispute. I'd prefer a conclusion otherwise it will never be put to rest. I think there's been an abundance of convincing evidence put forth to conclude it's a "6" under there.

• Options
    edited March 18, 2018 12:25PM

This post by Yosclimber is what I found to be most evidentiary of the underdigit being a 6.

@yosclimber said:
    The "upside down 9" theory was tested. The inverted 9 is not the same shape as the 6 from 1846, so it does not produce the right shape for the under digit.
    Another theory was that it was a sideways 9.
    As it turns out, 1846 makes more sense than a repunched 9, because the Liberty Seated Half Dime dates were punched with a "gang punch" which has all 4 digits together. So if the 9 was upside down, the other 3 digits would be to the right. But they are to the left, with the remants of the old 4 under the new 4....
    If single digit punches were used instead of a gang punch, then an inverted 9 could be feasible (except for the shape).
    Here are the key images from Mark Sheldon's article, to make it a bit easier to compare then with the color photos above:

A similar overlay works for the V-2, where the 6 is lower.

• Options

Received this e-mail today:

Good Afternoon Mr. ------------

I appreciate your concern in this matter and apologize for the late response to your message.

To my knowledge and based on the discussion thread on the forums — Mark Stephenson and our team of experts
    are currently looking into it. Once there is a conclusion, a response will be published on the post.

Respectfully,

(PCGS Customer Service Rep)

• Options

Anyone have anything yet?

• Options

Nothing on this end.

• Options

I remain utterly convinced that the two dies in question are both 1849/6. Not everybody agrees with me.

That said, I will compile a summary of my conversations with various people and post it here when I can.

TD

• Options
    edited April 18, 2018 7:00PM

@CaptHenway said:
    I remain utterly convinced that the two dies in question are both 1849/6. Not everybody agrees with me.

That said, I will compile a summary of my conversations with various people and post it here when I can.

TD

I feel if PCGS can't come to a definitive conclusion and their bottom line is that the variety remains questionable, they should remove this particular variety from the registry. My hope is that they make a final determination. As I posted above, I too am convinced they are 49/6.

UPDATE: Going forward see this thread for updates:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/998039/update-on-my-emails-to-others-regarding-1849-half-dime-overdates#latest

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 3:52PM

I can add another attributed (V-1 note the 184 touching the underside of the rock pedestal) to the listing;

Our host agreed on the variety 1849/6

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 3:51PM

I did notice that ATS they are using the LDS in their descriptions;

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4239812-005/62/

Here are a couple more unattributed 1849/6;

(images by robec)

• Options
    edited June 7, 2019 7:28AM

I just received notice from the variety attribution dept that he did not see the markers required to identify the 1849/6 overdate variety;

(these images should be zoomable)

I asked the Customer Service representative if she would look at the trueviews for me and tell me if she saw anything. She described the curved lines in the loops, but she could not be definate, which is understandable. Frustrating is an understatement.

Do we know if @BrettPCGS is as interested in incorrect variety attribution as his predecessors?

• Options

Refresh my memory- Was that reverse used in any other die marriage?

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 4:19PM

Not that I am aware of (it's Reverse B )...Clint? @yosclimber

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 4:31PM

Both of @oih82w8's coins above are easily attributed as V-2 (9 / far 6).
    Obverse 2:

• date position of 4 relative to pendant
    • under digit lumps visible on top of 849
    • under digits visible within 849

Reverse B cracks:

• right ribbon
    • UN D H T
    • TES tops
    • F left top
    • splits ME

[die pair table from my 1849 attribution guide]
    Correct, this is reverse B and is only used with V-2.
    Similarly, reverse F with crack from left ribbon to S1 is only used with V-4,
    so often the simplest way to attribute V-2 or V-4 is to look for the crack at either right or left ribbon.

• Options

Please tell the Customer Service rep to contact me.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 7:28PM

Lets see if this still works...

Paging @CustomerService please contact @CaptHenway

@HeatherBoyd is a "go getter" as well.

• Options

I hope they didn't already put them in the mail.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 7:27PM

@ms70 said:

When I called earlier this evening...the CS representative said that the package has left the mail room.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

@ms70 said:

When I called earlier this evening...the CS representative said that the package has left the mail room.

Crud. Even if PCGS decides to look at them again you still get crushed in the shipping fees.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2019 4:27AM

With the predecessors, when shipping coins back for an "oversight revist", the shipping was reimbursed.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2019 4:43AM

No responses back from our host over the Easter weekend...perhaps some traction will be found today.

• Options

@CaptHenway were you contacted by @CustomerService ? Neither @BrettPCGS or @HeatherBoyd have chimed in on this as of this message.

• Options

Just got out of the hospital. Give me a day or two to catch up on things.

• Options

I have been contacted by Heather as a direct result of this thread. We are discussing the issue.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Just got out of the hospital. Give me a day or two to catch up on things.

Be well @CaptHenway !

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 11:13AM

Does anyone have anything new on this subject?

• Options

I have confirmation from Bill Fivaz that the former 1849/8 V-4 FS-301 will now be listed in CPG 6/2 as 1849/6 FS-301a,
    and the former 1849/8 V-2 FS-302 will now be listed as 1849/6 FS-302a.

TD

• Options

Should the variety be acknowledged with a certain amount of detail; EDS, LDS, etc... like ATS?

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Should the variety be acknowledged with a certain amount of detail; EDS, LDS, etc... like ATS?

In my opinion they should be, as the differences are quite significant.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2019 9:30AM

Hopefully our host will acknowledge the Pick-up points, OBV and REV, that Clint @yosclimber has in his identification guide.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I have confirmation from Bill Fivaz that the former 1849/8 V-4 FS-301 will now be listed in CPG 6/2 as 1849/6 FS-301a,
    and the former 1849/8 V-2 FS-302 will now be listed as 1849/6 FS-302a.

Wow, this is great news!
    Thank you for all your persistent and effective work which has had this important success!
    It was a long standing problem that needed to be fixed.
    @MrHalfDime would be smiling to see this finally corrected!
    I believe we can be assured that PCGS will follow the CPG on this as well.

• Options

You are welcome. It only took me about 40 years........

• Options

@yosclimber said:

I have one in a slab that's been sitting in my desk for a long time just waiting for that to happen.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@yosclimber said:

I have one in a slab that's been sitting in my desk for a long time just waiting for that to happen.

Same here...two actually, although the PCGS variety attributor said that he did not see the pick-up points.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file