Home U.S. Coin Forum

1965 nickel Fed Reserve bank roll search

Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a 1965 nickel roll from the federal reserve bank of Cleveland on ebay.
Haven't roll searched since I was a kid in the 70's with my grandpa. Pretty fun, and looky at this one, hard to find a good strike in '65. The excitement and memories relived - totally worth $14.95 and I got a few nice nickels to boot. B)

Hair looks much better in hand than this picture.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking coin.

• LyndagLyndag Posts: 99 ✭✭

So what are you gonna do with it. Do you think it’s worth sending in for grading ? Just curious.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

I thought the FRB only disributed coins in bulk and never rolled them?

Is that a legitimate roll?

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The FRB usually procured the paper rolls and often sent the paper roll supplies to their member banks to roll them if they wanted to purchase the paper rolls from the FRB. On ocassion they would roll the coins on behalf of their member banks for a small extra fee.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

By 1968 this practice essentially ceased.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    The FRB usually procured the paper rolls and often sent the paper roll supplies to their member banks to roll them if they wanted to purchase the paper rolls from the FRB. On ocassion they would roll the coins on behalf of their member banks for a small extra fee.

I appreciate info like this. I had no knowledge of that, just bought it cause it was original, knew 1965 was a poorly struck year and haven't went thru a roll in 40+ years. And there's the fact it's my birthyear. B)

As far as this nickel goes it is better struck than the ms67s on coin facts, but it has a few hits, and needs a bath. It has a small blue something over a left window on monticello. I'll probably send it in with my next order. Don't expect more than a 66, but not my series.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice strike for the issue. Fully struck pieces are virtually non-existent and very rare. Although I don't usually care for moderns, I think it is a neat piece.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are two nicely struck business strike examples from 29 years of searching. Both coins have been graded MS65 by PCGS.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Searching old rolls can be interesting... and sometimes a surprise awaits...Nice Jefferson... Cheers, RickO

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would a 1965 SMS nickel qualify ?

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Would a 1965 SMS nickel qualify ?

Qualifies for what?

SMS coins are different from the business strikes, and TPGs label them as such.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice roll @Sandman70gt and even better is the nickels! Wow!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file