Home Q & A Forum

I found a penny and need some help determining its value and/or rarity

I have a penny that appears to have the tails side printed over the heads side, I see no signs of it being a fake, the coin looks normal with the exception of one side having the other on it and some slight markings on the flip side it seems to be a tad off center or misaligned, I could be wrong but when I flip the coin I feel like Lincoln doesn't line up right to the tails side.

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

We would need a clearer photo of the obverse (front) of the coin to be able to help more.

It looks like glue the more I look at it.

• I will try to get a cleaner picture buy my camera on my phone isn't the best. Is there a definitive way to test for glue without ruining the coin if its not?

• These are the best my phone can do, I see a few markings that don't look like glue to me but I have no idea.

Much better photos! Thanks :)

Sorry, that is glue. Someone glued two together.

Notice how the Memorial design you are seeing is raised. You can see some of the copper color showing thru the slightly clear/yellowed glue.

• I applied heat and you were right, the memorial building melted away, sad but at least I didn't go through any real trouble trying to get it graded or anything, thanks for the help.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone may have worked.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treat yourself to a pint of acetone. It's a great organic solvent. No residue, evaporates fast. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52