Home U.S. Coin Forum

1952-D Lincoln Cent: doubling on obverse?

MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited June 9, 2019 2:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello Everyone-
I'm fairly new to collecting coins, this is my first post on here! I've become very interested in errors, especially on wheat pennies but I haven't had much luck so far. Usually what I think is an error turns out to be just normal wear or something minor. I came across this little guy not long ago and I figured it would be a good choice for my first post. I would love to hear what you all think about this one! The thing I love most about this hobby is that there's always something new to learn!

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @MiBellita.

What error(s) do you see on the cent?

Or retitle your thread, “Guess the Error I Think I have.”

Everyone here loves to help, but you’ll lose them quick with this type of error guessing “game.”

• MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

@Hemispherical thank you for the heads up! I've never actually posted on forums before, I just read a lot of them 😅
    My initial thought was that that date and m.m. seemed doubled or repunched.. or maybe it just got smashed down 🤷‍♀️
    And also Liberty looked doubled as well, but I'm not right about that..

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

List of know RPMs for 52-D. There are quite a few of them.

http://varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/RPMs 1952D.htm

There are two known DDOs.

http://varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/DDO 1952-D.htm

Homework and tell us what you think you have and why (what matches).

——-

Also, your pics are reversed for what you are asking about, i.e, all your questions are on the obverse but you show a close-up of the reverse.

Enjoy and have fun in the hobby!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good pictures.... Another well circulated cent... Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

There doesn't look to be any hub doubling apparent. If there was, it would be non sequitur. (A Colonel word) ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2019 8:50AM

Can't see any doubling on the cent... if one of the areas you are referring to is the 'IB' of LIBERTY, that does not appear to be doubling to me, but rather likely post mint damage like something scraped or pushed the metal down between the two letters.

By the way, welcome to the forum. This is the place to ask the questions, as many of the experts post here and will give you some of the BEST advice available.

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

One recommendation... if you do not have a loupe (magnifying glass), definitely get one if you are going to continue in numismatics and have interest in varieties and errors. I suggest a 10x magnification; the glass will show you MUCH detail and you will more easily see if a coin is a legitimate variety or some type of post mint damage, etc. There are good loupes... and not so good loupes... you can get some good recommendations here on the forum.

----- kj
  • MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

Thank you all for your help! I've been doing quite a bit of reading since I posted this and yeah I see what you mean now. I think I was getting excited seeing flattened out numbers and words and considering it doubling that was just very circulated. I think I need to go to some local shops and see examples of errors in person.

Oh, and @tincup I do have some lopes and magnifying glasses, too many to count actually! I'm just struggling still to figure out which of them works best. I lost my favorite one the day after I bought it 😔 Lighting seems to be a struggle as well!

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2019 8:16AM

Here are some other good reference sites. They have pics of the specific errors and info on the minting and die making process. Learning about the minting process is an important part of recognizing errors and varieties

www.error-ref.com
    www.doubleddie.com

Many LCS do not stock much in the way of errors and I have seen numerous PMD coins mislabeled as errors at shows and shops. Hopefully, you can find a local dealer that specializes in errors, but don’t assume that a dealer is knowledgeable just because he sells coins.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file