Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Based on recent news, are you dumping your graded card collection?

With all the recent news, what does your crystal ball say for impact in 3-5 years?

Part of me feels the hobby is strong enough to learn, recover and move forward with this being an educational moment.

Another part of me feels that if the FBI gets involved and they uncover the worst case scenario, it can decimate the entire grading industry.

Getting ahead of the curve and dumping now, then moving into another area (BBCE boxes, CGC comics, etc.) might be a shrewd move, but it could save 10s of thousands in the long run.

How will you be managing your collection?

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Based on recent news, are you dumping your graded card collection?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 10:59AM

None of the poll choices fit me. I thought briefly about dumping, I’m not, but not because I believe either that it’s short term or that it’ll strengthen the hobby.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 11:13AM

I would never give up the hobby I love because of this situation. Card collecting is more than just a hobby, it's a lifestyle. Nothing could ever make me stop collecting, except maybe my wife holding a pair of pliers, but outside of that, nothing will ever keep me from enjoying this hobby.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the poll choices fit me so no vote.

Answer to question hell no. Got lots of cards on deck ready to grade.

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

If your just figuring out now that hucksters have been doctoring cards for centuries, then you should stay out of this great hobby. Be aware of what your buying and the risks involved, and admit to yourself that there are lots of slabbed vintage cards in all grades that have been "conserved" from ALL the TPG's. And most importantly, if you can't afford to have your slabbed card lose half it's value or more, then put your money somewhere else. Just my two cents.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Some of these reactions are eye opening. Thanks for posting.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 11:58AM

Most of my graded collection is from subbing my own raw cards that I spent hours upon hours comparing and searching thru ebay listings until I found the right card that I would be happy with regardless of what grade PSA eventually gives it. I don't grade often but when I do it's mostly just to get those handpicked cards slabbed & preserved. I have no plans to stop collecting entirely because of what's been going on but I can understand where many people are unhappy with everything and don't blame them for losing faith in that market while deciding to get out now.

• sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 11:59AM

This is an atrocious poll. The options are just stupid. No option for me. I won't be buying anymore PSA or BGS graded cards because their process is clearly the antithesis of what they claim to do, ie it's a complete failure of mission statement. I'll dump a lot of my graded stuff and keep some PC stuff for regrading when there is a trustworthy TPG option.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just a hobby. I collect cards to get away from stress, not to incur it.

Andy

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I miss something? I haven't heard any troubling news. Post me a link or something please.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped buying graded cards a while ago, it had a lot to do with being able to enjoy my cards more in raw form and not stressing about resale value. Inconsistent grading didn’t help matters much either, regardless of what comes of this new “Epidemic” I think the hobby will drive on

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Collector only. Though I am a bit disappointed, though not shocked, by what appears to be systemic collusion between a few parties in pursuit of the almighty dollar while also conning buyers and collectors. But that happens anytime big bills are involved.

• sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 12:39PM

@ahopkins said:

You and those like you are exactly who these criminals prey upon. You empower them.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

You wouldn't know there's any trouble. I just lost an auction on Ebay for a PSA Joe Louis card. We fought like animals at the end for it. I got stomped.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a silly poll that assumes everyone knows what "news" you re talking about.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sportscardtheory said:

@ahopkins said:

You and those like you are exactly who these criminals prey upon. You empower them.

I'm going to take the high road on this one. Thanks for your insightful evaluation.

Andy

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is already heading down a path I don't care for, so I am going to wrap it up here.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.