Home U.S. Coin Forum

1958 Mint Set-Capitol holder (Colorful)

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 25, 2019 1:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this up recently. Great tones and texture. -In my opinion. Hard to capture though. What ya guys think?EDIT Lots of luster on every coin. Just hard to capture all in one holder here/P&Dx2

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm.... "Going on BST or eBay auction soon if any heads are interested." Should this be on BST ?

Appears to be a commercially assembled set - not the officially issued Mint Set.

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Yes it is assembled not factory of course. It will be I am currently putting on here to show it off tbh before it gets moved. Not asking for a price or anything of that nature. Rather wanting to see if it looks acceptable

Wich would be why it’s in a capitol holder. It was in there during the time of purchase

@RogerB said:
    Hmmmm.... "Going on BST or eBay auction soon if any heads are interested." Should this be on BST ?

Appears to be a commercially assembled set - not the officially issued Mint Set.

I agree so I edited that portion out as I do enjoy posting here :)

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!
    Half dollar collectors might like closeups of the bell lines.

I will of course get to that! Just may take a day or so for me to get individual pictures.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice that the collector filled out the holder with coins to cover the absence of the S mint coins. Good looking coins.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this is what? 3/4 of an original double Mint Set? Two each from one mint and one each from the other?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I couldn’t give you any accurate info, my dealer didn’t give me any background on it. Just told me he had just got it in and offered it to me cheap. (He mostly deals in bullion) but I would imagine similar to that

• Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Yes it is assembled not factory of course. It will be I am currently putting on here to show it off tbh before it gets moved. Not asking for a price or anything of that nature. Rather wanting to see if it looks acceptable

So if your not asking for anything for it I guess I will take it, but it has to be free shipping and maybe you could add a ten dollar bill to it. :)

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman

😭🤣

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing special there. If I tried to sell such an item locally it would probably bring no more than melt. Capital holders are nostalgic for some but obsolete from the viewpoint of most. Dealers generally pay nothing for the lucite holders coins com in.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much tarnish for me.... I would pick up something like that at a yard sale, where it would likely sell for less than melt...Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get the holder. Three rows of coins, someone's name and a date on the bottom. Looks like a custom holder someone had made up.

I think there is a reason your dealer offered it to you cheap. He probably couldn't figure out what it was supposed to represent either. :D

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 6:02AM

Given the 1952 date on the holder, I wonder if it was originally made for someone's birthday and contained a 1952 PDS set. Then somewhere over the last 60+ years those coins were removed and the holder was recycled to hold its current contents. Some of us packrats hate to throw anything away, especially if its a nice capital holder, and will happily reuse it even if it doesn't quite make sense/fit the contents.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think that the coins are out of an original 1958 double mint set, and I agree that the custom holder is a repurposed one from back in the days when we had three operating mints. If this came into the coin shop I would break it up and sell the coins as singles labeled as "Toned from Mint Set" and grade each one individually and charge what the market would bear.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a birth year PDS-set holder, or some similar anniversary marking, cobbled together with the remnants of a US Mint Set. I'd guess the person who put the set together had the better (in their opinion) coins removed for another purpose and then married the remainder with the holder.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@ricko said:
    Too much tarnish for me.... I would pick up something like that at a yard sale, where it would likely sell for less than melt...Cheers, RickO

I really do enjoy the look, a bit to much tarnish build up yes. I still enjoy the presentation wether I intended to pick up to gain a profit or not. If I was offered melt or less I would feel a tad insulted. Thanks for the comments everyone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file