Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are the two lowest-mintage "First Spouse" coins?

Can anyone tell me what the two-lowest "First Spouse" coins were, and the respective mintage figures for both?

Thanks!

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2019 2:17AM

Coin Facts has the data but have to check each year and for MS and PF.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/first-spouses-2007-date/1652

Or,

http://data.mintnewsblog.com/first-spouse-gold-coins/

And lastly, to validate the above numbers or to get the actual source data you’ll need to go through the Mint’s annual reports.

https://www.usmint.gov/about/reports

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hardly matters - nearly all are, and will remain, in as-issued condition for the next 300 years.

• apollo14apollo14 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Coin Facts has the data but have to check each year and for MS and PF.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/first-spouses-2007-date/1652

Or,

http://data.mintnewsblog.com/first-spouse-gold-coins/

And lastly, to validate the above numbers or to get the actual source data you’ll need to go through the Mint’s annual reports.

https://www.usmint.gov/about/reports

Thanks for the assist, but the mint blog was useless (far out of date). Also, Coinfacts did not have the mintages for the final few issues.

I cannot understand how we do not have readily-available mintage figures for coins sold by the mint three years ago?

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@apollo14 said:
    Can anyone tell me what the two-lowest "First Spouse" coins were, and the respective mintage figures for both?

Thanks!

?

Sorry, I meant the two specific lowest mintage "First Spouse" coins by name, and the respective mintages for both?

I did without luck. Can someone who is familiar with how to do this simply tell me what the two lowest specific "First Spouse" coins are, and the respective mintage for both.

Thanks!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@apollo14 said:
    Sorry, I meant the two specific lowest mintage "First Spouse" coins by name, and the respective mintages for both?

I posted the link to you when you posted this question in the other thread. They are all in a nice table at the end of the article:

https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/03/first-spouse-gold-coin-series-done-but-not-forgotten.all.html

edited May 25, 2019 5:51PM

@apollo14 said:

@Hemispherical said:
    2015 & 2016

I did without luck. Can someone who is familiar with how to do this simply tell me what the two lowest specific "First Spouse" coins are, and the respective mintage for both.

Thanks!

New research yields:

Pat Nixon Unc 1477
    Betty Ford unc 1437

I'll send you a bill for research services. :wink:

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Pat Nixon Proof 1325
    Betty Ford Proof 1251

And, if you pay that bill for believing those numbers, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell to you. 😉

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    edited May 25, 2019 5:53PM

@wondercoin said:
    “Pat Nixon Proof 1325
    Betty Ford Proof 1251

And, if you pay that bill for believing those numbers, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell to you. 😉

Wondercoin

LOL. I can only report them as they were reported to me.

Oops, I wrote proof when it was the UNC column. For some reason, those coin world numbers also don't seem to be the Final numbers, I updated with numbers from the Mint. Either way, the final 2 of the originals were the lowest mintage. Nancy Reagan came in higher than that.

Personally, I'm not sure why we're obsessing over it anyway. With a little luck, they are melting a few of these every day and we'll eventually get down to a manageable supply! ;)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Hardly matters - nearly all are, and will remain, in as-issued condition for the next 300 years.

And they are just bullion.

• SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Last time I checked the only first spouses doing anything on the secondary market were the 4 designs from the 1800s for the spouse-less presidents. Is there any action on this series?

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

They’re incredibly unpopular bullion that nobody wants. Add to the fact they’re .9999 gold and I do think some will be melted.

Try to sell a Betty Ford gold UNC coin in a Wichita coin shop. They will probably offer you melt. He’ll then throw $100 premium on it and try to sell it before giving up and sending it to the recyclers. Plenty of Martha Washington coins ended up at scrap. I’m willing to bet the semi key dates are the ones that will really be rare in 100 years.

Add to that the crazy amounts of fire and flooding we’ve had recently, it wouldn’t surprise me if some are being destroyed here and there.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

@Smudge said:

@RogerB said:

Unless people were actively melting down 1995W silver Eagles, those are worth quite a premium and or just bullion as well.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

@Smudge said:

@RogerB said:

Unless people were actively melting down 1995W silver Eagles, those are worth quite a premium and or just bullion as well.

The 1995 W ASE has taken a pretty big hit in value, still it is not bullion, but I just prefer old gold. I just don't see a big future for first spouse coins, but I may be wrong.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

The last sales numbers from the Mint are:
    Ford = 1,824
    Nixon = 1,839

For the proofs it is:
    Coolidge = 2,315
    Harding 2,372

The lowest minted and most popular pair (UNC+PR) is:
    Eleanor Roosevelt = 4,263

edited May 25, 2019 8:48PM

I appreciate everyone's help, but am still no closer to an answer as I am getting conflicting answers here.

One says Eleanor Roosevelt is the lowest, whereas the table another directs me to shows the most recent spouse releases as the lowest uncirculated mintage (I am not interested in proof).

I guess that no one here really knows for certain the final uncirculated mintage figures even three years after the last coin was struck.

Thank you all anyway!

The problem is the online Mint data only goes back to 2015. So that would only give the end of year data for 2016, 2015, and 2014 FS coins.

@apollo14

I’ve doubled checked their AGE data awhile back and it was accurate.

So I’m assuming that their FS is also accurate.

Scroll all the way down and click the button.

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/gold/us-gold-coins/first-spouse-gold/

• oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

@apollo14 said:
    I appreciate everyone's help, but am still no closer to an answer as I am getting conflicting answers here.

One says Eleanor Roosevelt is the lowest, whereas the table another directs me to shows the most recent spouse releases as the lowest uncirculated mintage (I am not interested in proof).

I guess that no one here really knows for certain the final uncirculated mintage figures even three years after the last coin was struck.

Thank you all anyway!

@apollo14 said:

Thank you all anyway!

So you do not think these are right?
    https://firstspousegoldcoin.com/first-spouse-gold-coin-mintages/

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@apollo14 said:

Thank you all anyway!

As a few of the issues are still for sale from the USM, the jury won't reach a verdict until they are sold or melted. My wager is the Eleanor will 'win' the lowest mintage. With the hideous design, I am surprised it sold what it did. A run-up of gold prices is the only hope for increased prices imo, on these. That may get real interesting after a time as I believe us stackers will tend to hold the lower mintages while sending lots of others on the one way trip to the smelter. Imo some of the 'higher' mintages may become scarce just for the possibility that they may no longer exist in a sense like some later date U.S. gold coinage.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a recent Red Book? Don't they show mintages of U S Coins?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

edited May 26, 2019 4:06AM

The US Mint stopped selling First Spouse coins at the end of 2017. The final sales numbers for the last coins can be found in the March 4, 2018 Mint Cumulative Sales Figures here:

https://usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales?years=2018&2019weeks=&2018weeks=969&2017weeks=&2016weeks=&2015weeks=

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a series that inspired zero collector interest from me... and I like gold coins/medals...It really was a purely politically derived program....Cheers, RickO

@batumi said:

@apollo14 said:

Thank you all anyway!

As a few of the issues are still for sale from the USM, the jury won't reach a verdict until they are sold or melted. My wager is the Eleanor will 'win' the lowest mintage. With the hideous design, I am surprised it sold what it did. A run-up of gold prices is the only hope for increased prices imo, on these. That may get real interesting after a time as I believe us stackers will tend to hold the lower mintages while sending lots of others on the one way trip to the smelter. Imo some of the 'higher' mintages may become scarce just for the possibility that they may no longer exist in a sense like some later date U.S. gold coinage.

Hi gang!

Are any of the first spouse coins still available from the mint ???

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 8:11PM

@RogerB said:

It's all hearsay and anecdotal, but my understanding is that many dealers were melting these when gold peaked last. That doesn't necessarily mean much (if accurate), but time will tell.

I can understand the frustration of trying to get final mintage numbers, especially on a series that sold so few coins.

The Redbook is a great source for most things. I have the fourth edition MegaRed.. surprisingly, it lists the key date as Lady Bird Johnson uncirculated with 1,475. Nixon unc at 1,839 and Betty Ford at 1,824.

That said, I think Eleanor Roosevelt will remain the key date because of popularity.

Many thanks, but I am not sure those numbers are final (especially the Lady Bird Johnson at 1475). That said, it should not have to be this hard to get final mintage numbers from the mint on coins struck three or more years ago!

Again, thank you anyway!

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Hillary and Ivanka, both zero mintage.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 6:15AM

I liked the series when they first came out. It takes some pocket / determination maintain interest. Possibly decades from now future collectors may be putting together sets but will never have the allure of Early 20th Century gold issues.

I think I will take a look at my issue of the PCGS market look at total graded by issue see what answer is.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I liked the series when they first came out. It takes some pocket / determination maintain interest. Possibly decades from now future collectors may be putting together sets but will never have the allure of Early 20th Century gold issues.

I think I will take a look at my issue of the PCGS market look at total graded by issue see what answer is.

I believe, especially with the amount of gold and platinum bullion coin issued during a few of the years didn't help these for popularity, along with some lacking designs. For example to collect all the one ounce AGE's, APE's and Buffalo gold in 2008, encapassed obtaining nine separate coins in the 1 ounce size alone! Add eight of the spouses-MS and PR- a couple of quarter ounce gold commeratives and then the fractionals, it would take a lot of Money to cover one year alone. I still believe there would have been more collector interest in this series other than stacking bullion if these were issued in quarter ounce pieces.

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

This series was once hot actually with the Jackson, Van Buren, and Julia Tyler each approaching $1800 or so.

edited August 6, 2019 2:24PM

Bump for the 2020 Red Book which lists:

Pat Nixon Unc 1,839
    Betty Ford Unc 1,824

So close that there isn’t really a key.

It appears Eleanor Roosevelt is still the actual key at 1,886 for Unc and 2,377 for proof based on the $$ these coins bring though Grace Coolidge proof is the lowest proof at 2,315.

This has been an update no one asked for. 🤗

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Does anyone have a recent Red Book? Don't they show mintages of U S Coins?

Yes they do. But you have to BUY a book. :o

@drei3ree said:
    The last sales numbers from the Mint are:
    Ford = 1,824
    Nixon = 1,839

For the proofs it is:
    Coolidge = 2,315
    Harding 2,372

The lowest minted and most popular pair (UNC+PR) is:
    Eleanor Roosevelt = 4,263

Like I reported May 25th... ;)

I missed that.. thanks for helping keep at least some interest in the series alive!

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the very strong spot gold level coupled with a shrinking premium to spot for many of the 70 grade Spouse coins, interest is picking up a bit in the series. I bought more coins in the past week than I did maybe in the past year combined. And, we have sold and received offers on more coins in the past month or so than maybe in the past 6 months combined. At least one or two at record levels (or close to it) as well. Try to find a Coolidge Proof 70FS - you might be surprised at what you would have to pay today for the low Mintage leader!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

It's insane that there's not more interest in the Gold Spouse series. I have purchased buckets full of PCGS 70 1st strike Spouse coins near spot (and several under spot) over the last few years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file