Home U.S. Coin Forum

[PCGS Update] 1934-S Walking Liberty Half - Grade Opinions

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2019 7:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ll be sending this walker off for grading this month, and I figured I should post it here for a GTG. I’ll update the thread with the grade when the coin is back from PCGS.

PCGS MS-63+ Still waiting for the TrueView images to show up online.

Thanks to @FadeToBlack who took these photos for me. The second set of images below are the axial photos to better show off the color.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see it in a 66 holder.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64 up to 66+.

And I really like how it aged.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins, I like the minimal toning. Good luck with the submission.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65, no +

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful strike! (Though, I admit I don't off hand know the "normal" characteristics for this date).

I'll toss a 65 at it...and hope for you that it might go better.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it how much? :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give Insider an Agree, but keep getting the Java Script error whenever I use a PC and
    not my iPhone on those buttons....
    My initial reaction before studying it was AU58....after blowing it up and studying it further, I'm sticking with AU58. Does it get a bump for color? Perhaps....but it definitely appears to show signs of rub and loss of luster. Hopefully Walkerfan will come along shortly, and perhaps show me where I'm wrong....

To add, the 34S is typically very well struck, like this one is, and tend to show strong hand and other central details well below MS grades.

I will also add that I really like the coin!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't want to be the first to say it but I thought that there was slight rub, also.

I guess it depends on the grader.....58 on a bad day and 64 on a good one.

If I were purchasing that coin, personally, I wouldn't pay more than 58 money for it. I just wouldn't feel comfortable paying more than that for it.

It reminds me a lot of my old, raw 1934 S that I sold years ago for about 350 bucks.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 64. Nice looking coin

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I would give Insider an Agree, but keep getting the Java Script error whenever I use a PC and
    not my iPhone on those buttons....
    My initial reaction before studying it was AU58....after blowing it up and studying it further, I'm sticking with AU58. Does it get a bump for color? Perhaps....but it definitely appears to show signs of rub and loss of luster. Hopefully Walkerfan will come along shortly, and perhaps show me where I'm wrong....

To add, the 34S is typically very well struck, like this one is, and tend to show strong hand and other central details well below MS grades.

I will also add that I really like the coin!

Agree....I'm at 58 too.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms64 maybe a plus

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

58/64 slider, same as others have said above. I do like the color.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go on the record here. I think AU++. I see wear. AU58.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what "wear" everyone is seeing, it looks to be a typically weak strike from San Francisco. it actually looks to me to have a better than usual strike from that Mint. what can't be seen in the pictures is luster and if there are no breaks than that is a good thing.

I would expect it to grade MS65 at PCGS but would not be surprised to see it as an MS66. below is an MS66 for the strike comparison. the "wear" should be easy to see for comparison to the OP coin.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that coin is a no question MS walker that keets posted. Full rounded breast on Liberty, no flatness on the eagle's neck feathers.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless there's rub, hard to tell I see a 64.
    Nice one!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a touch of wear to me too, but I will say 58 or 65. I have a 37 in a rattler at 58 that looks like it. Bought it because it was a superb 58 and cheap I wish I could do photos, but they would be awful so I will spare you that.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Looks like a touch of wear to me too, but I will say 58 or 65. I have a 37 in a rattler at 58 that looks like it. Bought it because it was a superb 58 and cheap I wish I could do photos, but they would be awful so I will spare you that.

Coin photoing is hard! :D

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade posted today. I'll post the TrueView when it goes live.

PCGS MS-63+

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must have missed this thread the first time around.... Nice coin and the grade seems to match. Cheers, RickO

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Kyle!

I think Maybe the grey fields misconstrued as rub are because the coin is semi-pl. here’s one I had graded (64) with a similar look, but with none of that nice color.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
    edited May 25, 2019 3:19AM

@clarkbar04 said:
    Congrats Kyle!

I think Maybe the grey fields misconstrued as rub are because the coin is semi-pl. here’s one I had graded (64) with a similar look, but with none of that nice color.

That’s a nice 64!

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before seeing the actual posted grade I was unsure what this coin would grade and gave it anywhere from an AU-58 to MS-64.

What made it difficult is trying to grade the coin from a photo which often makes the coin looks worse then seeing it in person.

Also the first photo tends to make Liberty's cebtral area appear to have a slightly diminished luster because of the gray color which made it possible to have slight wear.
    The second photo does not indicate the same issue.

Geez, you cannot tilt a photo like you can with an actual coin which is why a photo can be difficult to evaluate.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clarkbar04... lovely and very lustrous PQ M-64 walker but did not grade higher as a MS-64+because it has a soft strike in the head and thumb.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    Clarkbar04... lovely and very lustrous PQ M-64 walker but did not grade higher as a MS-64+because it has a soft strike in the head and thumb.

Thanks. I bought it raw and it graded as I expected.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:
    PCGS MS-63+ Still waiting for the TrueView images to show up online.

Hmm... I would have guessed 64 shot 65.

The TrueView posted, it doesn't do a great job at capturing the color.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

The true view shows the luster much better than the first set of pictures.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@Kyle said:

The true view shows the luster much better than the first set of pictures.

And more chatter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file