Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess The Grade - Common Walker (MS-61) :(

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 3:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edited for grade Received a whopping 61 Seems a bit harsh respectively. I typically struggle with the fine points of grading on more then one series, even with Photograde -Which does help but ultimately the final grade is still subjective(I will drop grade and what I thought it should be tonight)

Tagged:

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65+.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65 (could be a +, @keets has a better eye for this than I do)... Overall, a very nice WLH... Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would add that my guess is probably high if those are scratches in the field and not on the holder.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hairlines limit to 64 in my opinion, still a very nice example.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 8:40AM

I agree with the👇following from WalkerGuy21D an Expert Collector of this series. I was also straddling the fence b/t MS-63 & 64. 🧐

She’s a really Eye-Appealing pretty Walker.

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Booming luster which is a plus, but those scratches in the critical right obverse field limit it to 63 or 64, IMO.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

62-63.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Extremely nice coin!!

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

65 at best but likely a 64

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Booming luster which is a plus, but those scratches in the critical right obverse field limit it to 63 or 64, IMO.

Yes.....63/4 if the noise in the field is hairlines.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stuart said:
    I agree with the👇following from WalkerGuy21D an Expert Collector of this series. I was also straddling the fence b/t MS-63 & 64. 🧐

She’s a really Eye-Appealing pretty Walker.

Thanks, but JBN and Walkerfan would bury me in a grading contest of mint state walkers....I've been wasting most of my time on large cents the past few years ;)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great "pop" but an MS 63 coin based upon the pictures.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question
    Is that a proof?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

Collector, occasional seller

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    Question
    Is that a proof?

Negative

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Posted grade in title and in Original post. It graded 61. A tad low I thought this was a 63 everyday of the week but hey what do I know 🤷🏼‍♂️ Lol

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 4:04PM

@CRH4LIFE That coin has Tremendous Eye Appeal (based solely on Photos) to be Graded only MS-61.

That’s the kind of coin that I like to purchase already certified, to get the benefit of a Conservative Grade.

Good for the Buyer, not so good for the coin’s submitter.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 4:04PM

I've got a couple of really good looking MS-61's too!

Until you look in the right light, and realize they are hair-lined pretty severely in the fields.

I bought them with eyes-wide-open, though, since they are tougher mid-date coins in MS. Price was right, since people tend to run from anything under 63. (Of course, they will run when I try to sell them, too. So the nice buy price will probably be the not-so-nice sell price.) ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Posted grade in title and in Original post. It graded 61. A tad low I thought this was a 63 everyday of the week but hey what do I know 🤷🏼‍♂️ Lol

I’m not going to claim I would have guessed the grade correctly. That said, Liberty’s left breast (to viewer’s right) and some of the eagle’s central breast feathers look as if they might have noticeable rub and account for the assigned grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like friction on the sun, and the left breast plate. May also be hairlines to the right of liberty in the fields. Also looks to be friction on the eagle on the reverse.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 4:41PM

@MFeld said:

@CRH4LIFE said:

I’m not going to claim I would have guessed the grade correctly. That said, Liberty’s left breast (to viewer’s right) and some of the eagle’s central breast feathers look as if they might have noticeable rub and account for the assigned grade.

I'm late to the party as the title did not interest me. My guess would have been wrong. You got a GIFT as
    an MS-61.

The coin is an easy to detect AU. Look at all the friction and change of color on the eagles breast where the rub is easier to see than on the obverse. I'll bet because of the luster and lack of bagmarks it rated the "commercial grade" of Mint State (VOMIT) I suspect they are minor scratches on the obverse. Without those you possibly would have received it back as an MS-62.

Sorry but from what I read here, it is very lucky the TPGS's exist! >:)

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll also add that I should not participate in GTG's when I'm looking at photos on my iPhone.
    On my home monitor it does look like faint rub, and the cartwheel luster appears broken in the right obverse field (learned this from QDB eons ago). This would be easier to see tilting it under a good light source, but we don't have that luxury online. But you can bet if it were a tough early date at a show I would.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

My impression was 58/61 based on reverse friction.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said AU 58.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file