Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who is your most hated athlete ever

TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Prince Naseem Hamed (boxer) was mine. Never seen a bigger showboat and pretty much got destroyed when the competition level was higher as the fights went on.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 2:56PM

I must admit, I enjoyed watching Barrera put Hamed in his place.

Bill Laimbeer was a jerk.

• Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

A-Roid

DesertIceSports.Com

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Rod. I hate the Yankees and hate juicers and he puts a big checkmark in both boxes.

Here’s a twist: most hated players on your favorite teams. Here are mine....

Patriots: Steve Grogan. Greatly overrated player and a complete anus when I met him

Red Sox: Manny Ramirez. I admire savvy, intelligent ball players who work hard and hustle. Manny was none of those, then forced his way out of Boston. Once gone, he was suspended multiple times for PEDs. Hate that man.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

King LeBrick

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kobe "The Rapist" Bryant

Steve

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Braves.

Andy

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sydney Crosby.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Alexander Ovechkin

Jim

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2019 4:39AM

I'm none to fond of Lebaby

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 6:45PM

@doubledragon said:

A big fan of the Bad Boys!!! Laimbeer was a player that pretty much everyone hated except maybe his teammates and probably some of them did not like him. Laimbeer was actually one of the early centers that had a 3 point game which made the opposing teams center come out and guard him on the perimeter.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 7:25PM

@JBrules said:

@doubledragon said:

A big fan of the Bad Boys!!! Laimbeer was a player that pretty much everyone hated except maybe his teammates and probably some of them did not like him. Laimbeer was actually one of the early centers that had a 3 point game which made the opposing teams center come out and guard him on the perimeter.

That Detroit team ruined the NBA for many fans. Attacked the skill of the Lakers and Celtics by fouling so much that the refs wouldn’t dare call them all.

Jim

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@JBrules said:

@doubledragon said:

That Detroit team ruined the NBA for many fans. Attacked the skill of the Lakers and Celtics by fouling so much that the refs wouldn’t dare call them all.

It was a different game back then for sure. Defensively you could get away with a lot more. Just think if Jordan played today how much more of a scoring machine he would be. I remember when the Bulls finally knocked off the Pistons. It took them a couple of years but they finally toppled them.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

After watching a story on Paul Kariya, I'll say Gary Suter. Cross check right in the face. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tid_86o9M-o

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see your Dale Hunter and raise you a Claude Lemieux. May 29, 1996. PERIOD! https://youtu.be/3eCHxytJ1LM

Kevin

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Jose Bautista - loved it when Roughned Odor clocked him.
    Rickey Henderson - I'll never forget when we were trying to rattle him at Skydome and he turned around in the OF and gave us the finger. Hilarious
    Darren O'Day - rude on many occasions
    Mark Trumbo - rude and a very odd man. My daughter (14) and I went for a walk to get breakfast downtown Toronto and saw him walking on the sidewalk by himself. As we crossed paths, My daughter said "Good Morning Mr Trumbo" and I said "Good luck today Mark." We did not stop until he turned around and said "No, Good Luck to You" in a very hostile and condescending manner after nearly knocking my daughter over. We were not asking for an autograph or his time. Not to mention the Orioles are paying this guy $13 million this year for absolutely nothing.

edited May 11, 2019 6:39AM

@LOTSOS said:
    I see your Dale Hunter and raise you a Claude Lemieux. May 29, 1996. PERIOD! https://youtu.be/3eCHxytJ1LM

That was cheap, but at least it was in the flow of the play. A cross check to the face has GOT to be the worst imo.

I remember Chelios trying to gouge one of the North Stars players eyes out one time.

"Chelios was particularly dirty in that game, attacking Brian Bellows at center ice, gouging at his eye and scratching his cornea."

Same incident; "Minnesota at Chicago, Game 5. As North Star winger Brian Bellows lay prone on the ice after being knocked off his skates, Blackhawk defenseman Chris Chelios gouged Bellows's eye with his finger. Bellows suffered scratches to the cornea and blurred vision."

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2019 7:57AM

Suh.
    Nothing but a big buffone and all full of himself.Not a team player.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Barry Bonds, Arod. Can't stand either.

• FrozenRopeFrozenRope Posts: 31 ✭✭

By sport: Arod, Jack Tatum, Bill Laimbeer, Ulf Samuelsson
    The "winner": Jack Tatum

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

A.J Pierzinski. Total douchebag!

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot Mike Timlin. He played in a legends game I attended in Cooperstown at which post game autographs are kind of an expected part of the deal. Apart from the crowd, I asked him to sign a ball. He gave a 4-5 minute monologue about how he was late for a flight, when it would have taken 3 seconds to say “no, sorry” or 10 seconds to write his name. I hope he missed his flight by 3 minutes.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

In the 90s I loved to call Albert Belle the Dennis Rodman of Baseball :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@Rofles said:

I know a lot of people don't like him. Why?

He played for the Twins for quite a while and I always heard that he was irritating to the other teams, but as a fan I didn't see him as that bad.

Please elaborate.

• @Estil said:
    In the 90s I loved to call Albert Belle the Dennis Rodman of Baseball :)

I stopped hating Albert Belle when I saw him hit a Grand Slam against the Yankees... Hard to hate someone who does that.

DesertIceSports.Com

@JoeBanzai said:

@Rofles said:

He played for the Twins for quite a while and I always heard that he was irritating to the other teams, but as a fan I didn't see him as that bad.

Please elaborate.

Very dirty player; would purposefully aim for players sliding into bases; would talk shit to players while catching; argued with umps a lot when he thought a pitch was a strike and it wasn’t.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8ISpShoA4

For comparison.
    It definitely appears as though Hunter timed his jump and follow through to coincide with the stanchion. I didn't like Lemieux either and that was a truly dirty hit from behind.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Rofles said:

Please elaborate.

His manager (Ozzie Guillen) said of him-he’s the kind of player you hate when he’s on the other team. When he’s on your team you hate him a little less.

@Rofles said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Rofles said:

Please elaborate.

Very dirty player; would purposefully aim for players sliding into bases; would talk shit to players while catching; argued with umps a lot when he thought a pitch was a strike and it wasn’t.

If he threw at baserunners, that was bad. I never heard that, or noticed it when he was a Twin.

Talking to the opposition to take them out of the game and harassing the umps nothing new or upsetting there.

@georgebailey2 said:

@LOTSOS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8ISpShoA4

For comparison.
    It definitely appears as though Hunter timed his jump and follow through to coincide with the stanchion. I didn't like Lemieux either and that was a truly dirty hit from behind.

That's bad!

I could never understand why the NHL allows their best offensive players to be hit in ways that are obvious attempts to injure. I would think that you need the gifted players on the ice to entertain the casual fan (and the hard core ones too).

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

It’s a tie for me between bill laimbeer and draymond green.

At some point I just want to watch the game and not the constant whining to the refs.

Plus the cheap/nut shots from these guys

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Michael Schumacher for trying to rub out Jacques Villeneuve at a formula 1 race,Schumacher had the points lead going into the last race of the season at Jerez so all he had to do was finish ahead of Jacques to win the championship,but the sneaky Schumacher veered into Jacques as he was attempting a pass on the Ferrari driver but the plan backfired it was Schumacher who retired ,Villeneuve finished the race with enough points to overhaul Shumi and win the 1997 World Drivers Championship.

@JoeBanzai said:

@Rofles said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Rofles said:

Please elaborate.

If he threw at baserunners, that was bad. I never heard that, or noticed it when he was a Twin.

Talking to the opposition to take them out of the game and harassing the umps nothing new or upsetting there.

It wasn’t with the twins; was with the white Sox; not throwing at runners, sliding into players. And a close second behind him was the manager at the time, Ozzie Guillen.

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana. Shouldn't need to explain why.

@lightningboy said:
    Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana. Shouldn't need to explain why.

https://youtu.be/kmTK_eSOCN4

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom "tuck rule" Brady.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Michael Jordan- He cost 2 deserving players, Stockton and Malone 2 championships along with a lot of help from the refs he had in his back pocket.

• rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Curt Schilling. Too much of a blowhard for me.

@ElvisP said:
    Michael Jordan- He cost 2 deserving players, Stockton and Malone 2 championships along with a lot of help from the refs he had in his back pocket.

Wasn't they're an incident in practice one time, when Michael Jordan slapped Steve Kerr around or something like that? I seem to recall a story about it.

edited May 12, 2019 7:15AM

@doubledragon said:

@ElvisP said:

Wasn't they're an incident in practice one time, when Michael Jordan slapped Steve Kerr around or something like that? I seem to recall a story about it.

I heard he gambles, too.

Like, a lot.

(takes tongue out of cheek)

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 9:09AM

John Rocker. Not sure if he's changed from his playing days but he was the King of baseball dbs during his time.

Arrogant ✓
    Conceited✓
    Racist ✓

He no doubt hit the trifecta in the DB lottery.

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Lance Armstrong.

Dirt bag, cheater and con artist.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Carter.

With bitter hatred,

Phillies Fans

Andy

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Evgeni Malkin. Crosby is up there for his early career antics. Malkin still tries to start shit and skate to his bruisers or the refs immediately after his cheap shots.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

There’s a group.

Tyreek Hill
    Lawrence Phillips
    Ray Rice.

Guys like that.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Lebron!

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Draymond Green and Ethan Thomas.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

I remember watching Dennis Rodman kick a cameraman in the coconuts one time. I always thought that was pretty cowardly.

@ahopkins said:
    Joe Carter.

With bitter hatred,

Phillies Fans

Likewise, Leon Stickle.

In both cases, they (Phils/Flyers) would have needed to win game 7. It is nice to assume they would have.

Personally, I need to include Gerry Meehan. His goal with 4 seconds left in the entire season in 1972 against Doug Favell knocked the Flyers out of a playoff spot. Consequently, my father, after having a 14 game ticket plan which was being discontinued, decided to not get season tickets for the 72-73 season.