Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who is your most hated athlete ever

Comments

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Has OJ made the list, yet?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definately OJ. What a piece of scum.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Tiger Woods-- if I can count golfers as athletes.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Claude LeMieux

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    Evgeni Malkin. Crosby is up there for his early career antics. Malkin still tries to start shit and skate to his bruisers or the refs immediately after his cheap shots.

Protected by the league and refs, too. 2009 Stanley Cup Finals, he sucker-punched Henrik Zetterberg and got a penalty that's SUPPOSED to be an automatic one-game suspension. Can't have that though, so the league overturned the suspension.

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 4:52PM

This

Oh, you said athlete. I thought you said ass.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ To express my reaction to The Kid's post above, I see "Flag," "Quote," Agree," "Like," and "LOL," but I do not see "Peed myself." Can we get that one, please?

Andy

While both are tied to doping, Lance was a poster boy, Barry was not.

More importantly, Barry didn’t have his hand out for 10 years seeking donations of half a billion dollars from John Q. Public or make his teammates dope “or else”.

Armstrong has also admitted to doping, which is the least of his issues, really.

About the only smart thing the guy did was invest $100k early in Uber. Probably the one thing that saved him from actually delivering food on a bicycle.

Lance wins this title by a mile in my book.

• Most hated athletes? I think that each athletes has their own feature. Never mind!

Knowing more information about challenge coins. :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 1:47AM

⬆This is Barry Bonds after years of steroid abuse.

I do NOT feel like making whoopi.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    This

Oh, you said athlete. I thought you said ass.

Richard supposedly has insecurity issues and emotional problems. In fact, if he saw your post, he would most likely end up hiding in his car, in a dark McDonald's parking lot, wolfing down big Macs

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I will say Lennon and whoppi, can’t stand either.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eli Manning and Alex Rodriguez

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 11:27AM

Charles Martin, GB Packers. One of the most egregious cheap shots of all time. Truly sickening human being.

Intentionally injured Jim McMahon that cost the Bears a Championship

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Scott Cousins. Because of him we are now stuck with the "Buster Posey" rule and the most exciting play in baseball is forever gone.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    A Rod. I hate the Yankees and hate juicers and he puts a big checkmark in both boxes.

Here’s a twist: most hated players on your favorite teams. Here are mine....

Patriots: Steve Grogan. Greatly overrated player and a complete anus when I met him

Red Sox: Manny Ramirez. I admire savvy, intelligent ball players who work hard and hustle. Manny was none of those, then forced his way out of Boston. Once gone, he was suspended multiple times for PEDs. Hate that man.

I guess you hate just about all NFL players, even college football players, juicing is common place,

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 2:14PM

Pete Rose takes it by a mile for me.

Personal Experience #1:

As a young kid in 1975 I wrote many of the greatest players ever asking them to sign cards I had collected...Ted Williams, ('55-58) Willie Mays ('59-68), Sandy Koufax ('55-66 + Leaders & WS) , Stan Musial ('59, 60, 63) , Satchel Paige ('53) Johnny Bench ('68-75) , Mike Schmidt ('73-76) , Nolan Ryan ('68-76) , George Brett ('76-77), most of the Big Red Machine and L.A. Dodgers and countless others. I even chatted with Walter Alston on the phone.

All of them but for Charlie Hustle ('63-'75) sent me the all cards back signed, some personalized, some with inscriptions and I still have them all.

Many years later while I was on business in Cincinnati, I stopped in at Dean's cards -- probably the largest card store I could ever imagine. When I told them of Rose keeping my cards, they told me that he would stop in there every month with a shoe box full of cards that kids would send him --He'd take cents on the dollar and then head down to KY to bet on the horses.

Personal Experience #2:

As a college student I walked into a card store in Highland Park, NJ--the owner has a fat stack of signed Ron Lewis 500 HR LITHOGRAPHS--50? 100 of them. Right after the Atlantic City 500 HR hitters show.

He told me Pete Rose had just walked into his store and sold them all to him and sold him them, and he was re-offering them at $500 a piece. I didn't have the money, but convinced my dad into purchasing two from him at $900.

What the store owner told me was this: That Pete Rose owed the mob a ton of money and that they were going to kill him. That Rose not only was selling the signed Ron Lewis lithos wholesale to raise funds quickly, but that he stiffed the players Hank Aaron, Willie Mays $50,000 each, Reggie Jackson $35,000 and the others $25,000, that Killebrew needed the money to avoid his auto dealership filing bankruptcy and that Jackson had to loan him the money!

**THIS WAS WEEKS BEFORE HE WALKED INTO MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL'S OFFICES AND STRUCK A DEAL TO ACCEPT HIS LIFETIME BAN.

Charlie Hustle bet on baseball. He was convicted of IRS fraud and spent time in jail for it. He was into the mob for so much money that they threatened to have him 'sleep with the fishes', he stiffed some of the greatest players in the game, and the SOB sold off the cards kids including me sent him to sign for cents on the dollar for him to blow at the track.

Yeh, Pete Rose is tops on this list for me!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

@53BKid said:

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@DBesse27 said:
    A Rod. I hate the Yankees and hate juicers and he puts a big checkmark in both boxes.

Patriots: Steve Grogan. Greatly overrated player and a complete anus when I met him

Red Sox: Manny Ramirez. I admire savvy, intelligent ball players who work hard and hustle. Manny was none of those, then forced his way out of Boston. Once gone, he was suspended multiple times for PEDs. Hate that man.

I guess you hate just about all NFL players, even college football players, juicing is common place,

Never said I don’t. And besides, I’d be the last one to be hurt by anything said about college football. I hate it and haven’t watched a second of it in years.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@53BKid said:

Personal Experience #1:

As a young kid in 1975 I wrote many of the greatest players ever asking them to sign cards I had collected...Ted Williams, ('55-58) Willie Mays ('59-68), Sandy Koufax ('55-66 + Leaders & WS) , Stan Musial ('59, 60, 63) , Satchel Paige ('53) Johnny Bench ('68-75) , Mike Schmidt ('73-76) , Nolan Ryan ('68-76) , George Brett ('76-77), most of the Big Red Machine and L.A. Dodgers and countless others. I even chatted with Walter Alston on the phone.

All of them but for Charlie Hustle ('63-'75) sent me the all cards back signed, some personalized, some with inscriptions and I still have them all.

Many years later while I was on business in Cincinnati, I stopped in at Dean's cards -- probably the largest card store I could ever imagine. When I told them of Rose keeping my cards, they told me that he would stop in there every month with a shoe box full of cards that kids would send him --He'd take cents on the dollar and then head down to KY to bet on the horses.

Personal Experience #2:

As a college student I walked into a card store in Highland Park, NJ--the owner has a fat stack of signed Ron Lewis 500 HR LITHOGRAPHS--50? 100 of them. Right after the Atlantic City 500 HR hitters show.

He told me Pete Rose had just walked into his store and sold them all to him and sold him them, and he was re-offering them at $500 a piece. I didn't have the money, but convinced my dad into purchasing two from him at $900.

What the store owner told me was this: That Pete Rose owed the mob a ton of money and that they were going to kill him. That Rose not only was selling the signed Ron Lewis lithos wholesale to raise funds quickly, but that he stiffed the players Hank Aaron, Willie Mays $50,000 each, Reggie Jackson $35,000 and the others $25,000, that Killebrew needed the money to avoid his auto dealership filing bankruptcy and that Jackson had to loan him the money!

**THIS WAS WEEKS BEFORE HE WALKED INTO MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL'S OFFICES AND STRUCK A DEAL TO ACCEPT HIS LIFETIME BAN.

Charlie Hustle bet on baseball. He was convicted of IRS fraud and spent time in jail for it. He was into the mob for so much money that they threatened to have him 'sleep with the fishes', he stiffed some of the greatest players in the game, and the SOB sold off the cards kids including me sent him to sign for cents on the dollar for him to blow at the track.

A Rose by any other name wouldn’t smell as sweet.

@Walt_Altmen said:

@53BKid said:

Personal Experience #1:

Personal Experience #2:

A Rose by any other name wouldn’t smell as sweet.

Isn’t there an OutKast song about Roses?

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Mike Harden and all of the Elway years Broncos.

https://youtu.be/xSOPrwb-mQc

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@olb31 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Never said I don’t. And besides, I’d be the last one to be hurt by anything said about college football. I hate it and haven’t watched a second of it in years.

Looks like you could live in the Northeast, so I can see why you don't watch college football, no college football played above DC.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

@olb31 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@olb31 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Looks like you could live in the Northeast, so I can see why you don't watch college football, no college football played above DC.

That’s exactly it! I’m sure if I grew up in an area with a team to root for, I would feel differently. I grew up in Rhode Island, and the only Division I program in the entire state was Brown. I think since then URI has become DI. But both of those are barf worthy.

Yaz Master Set

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

A couple, Gerald Young of the Astros in the early 90's told my young son to sign the ball himself when asked for an autograph. JERK. Rose was a JERK as well, a great player of the game, but a JERK to people.
    A.J Pierzinski: didn't he catch the winning out in the 2005 WS game and then refused to turn the ball over to MLB? I think there was a court case or some arbitration over that.

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets

@jmmiller777 said:
    A couple, Gerald Young of the Astros in the early 90's told my young son to sign the ball himself when asked for an autograph. JERK. Rose was a JERK as well, a great player of the game, but a JERK to people.
    A.J Pierzinski: didn't he catch the winning out in the 2005 WS game and then refused to turn the ball over to MLB? I think there was a court case or some arbitration over that.

Doug Mientkiewicz, 2004.

http://www.espn.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=6396726

@Tabe said:

@jmmiller777 said:

Doug Mientkiewicz, 2004.

http://www.espn.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=6396726

I almost wrote that, but wasn’t 100% certain.

Yaz Master Set

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

With Boston on the verge of advancing, I'll add Brad Marchand, the dirtiest player in the NHL, to this list.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

@rmh111985 said:
    With Boston on the verge of advancing, I'll add Brad Marchand, the dirtiest player in the NHL, to this list.

Amen. Not just dirty but a weasel. Like stomping on a stick during a faceoff in an earlier round. And licking guys. He's definitely a guy who benefits from the era in which he plays. He would have had to answer for his actions 30 years ago.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron Racist James

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• The hate is strong with this thread.

(I've heard parts of that Pete Rose story above somewhere before but had forgotten about it)

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Sammy Sosa and Brad Marchand. Both total jagbags.

• CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    Lebron Racist James

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he a racist. Thank you!

@softparade said:
    Lebron Racist James

I’m curious, what makes you say that? I don’t follow the NBA closely enough to be familiar with the specifics.

Yaz Master Set

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Tough call between Barry Bonds or Odell Beckham. By many accounts, MJ is a real a hole too, which is such a bummer.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@53BKid said:

Personal Experience #1:

Personal Experience #2:

I used to think Pete should be banned from baseball but in the Hall for his career achievements. After reading this and the story not to long ago about the underage girls. Pete can go eff himself, he is a sick monster.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Eli Manning and Alex Rodriguez

lol Eli took two of Brady’s rings

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    The hate is strong with this thread.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 2:21PM

@lawnmowerman said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    The hate is strong with this thread.

I want to acknowledge posts like this. The same image came to mind for me, but I was too lazy to post. You deserve credit for applying a relevant pop culture reference by those that get it [insert Captain America quote from "The Avengers"]
    Earlier in this thread, a Cowboys' fan expressed his hatred for Bradshaw and Montana, which brought the "I hate you, but goddamnit I respect you" line from Anchorman to mind. I thought it was pretty funny.
    Anyway, the effort does not go unnoticed. Thanks.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@53BKid said:

Personal Experience #1:

Personal Experience #2:

Fake news.

Makes for a funny story though.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Lebron James

Billie Jean King

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

Billie Jean King

This could get interesting.

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if I can say I ever really "hated" him, but there was a time when John Elway was the bane of my existence as a Browns fan!

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

This.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Mike Vick. It's not even close for me.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

Vick the Dick :P

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe Rodman can use his kicking skills on Kim Jong Un one of these days...................