Home U.S. Coin Forum

So I know my track record sucks..

But I found this and possibly 1964 ddr FS-801 and wanted your guys' opinion cause I think I matched it with 801 diag on vista

I also think I found 4-5 type c REV FS-901's
I

Comments

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those do look like the split's at base of the F and A.

• SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Dunno but I am impressed that every new member can image coins better than I can.

B)

Haha I use an app called magnifier+ it has zoom.and light and picture taking capabilities, it's awesome

@LJenkins11 said:
    Those do look like the split's at base of the F and A.

I used the light for that pic and shouldnt have, should I take a better pic?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

A winner! :)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 5:39PM

Wexler’s

Check the diagnostics there are plenty.
    http://doubleddie.com/1949204.html

The only diagnostic that I can see with the provided pics is maybe the die gouge above the F.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a DDR. :)

@Hemispherical said:
    Wexler’s

Check the diagnostics there are plenty.
    http://doubleddie.com/1949204.html

The only diagnostic that I can see with the provided pics is maybe the die gouge above the F.

I used variety vista for an fs-801 and everything I saw matched, I can take better pics, but I'm so happy you guys finally gave me vindication!! Haha

In the same batch of 12 I got this ddr and 4 or 5 Rev FS-901 which are high dollar rpm so looks like another batch is comin out,, I also jus got 3 2019 W quarters

• ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like it

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I like it !!! B)

Timbuk3

Heres the 5 other possible 901s,, What do you guys think?? Are they also worth sending in?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds... out of the last five, I would say one and two and five might be good... Great pictures, I will have to check out that app (Magnifier +...?).... Cheers, RickO

@SilverEagle420 ... I did not see an app with that specific name... closest was 'Magnifier + light'... Is that the one? Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing any type C reverses there, but you definitely have a DDR, and it appears to match FS-801.

The best way to get an idea of what a type C looks like is to look at a 1965 quarter. You'll notice that the tailfeathers appear very flat, but each one has a very pronounced center line. Way different from type a or b when compared side-to-side.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

@SilverEagle420 said:
    Heres the 5 other possible 901s,, What do you guys think?? Are they also worth sending in?

Wexler’s info on 901’s and type A, B, and C reverses and diagnostics.
    http://www.doubleddie.com/286101.html

@ricko said:
    Nice finds... out of the last five, I would say one and two and five might be good... Great pictures, I will have to check out that app (Magnifier +...?).... Cheers, RickO

So I looked again for the magnifier and couldnt find it,,

So this is what I did,,
    Search magnifier plus on play store.
    And the forth one down should say magnifier plus and will look like this

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

Wexler’s info on 901’s and type A, B, and C reverses and diagnostics.
    http://www.doubleddie.com/286101.html

Directly after saying a 901 I realized the tailfeathers are wrong for the 901 type c, so I stand corrected but these mintmark looked very similar to the photos of type c's that I was lookin at, noob mistake but I know at least 3 of these are RPM

There are a ton of machine doubled mint marks on quarters from 1960-64 make sure you have an exact match.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

1964-d type C - the leaves are flatter and extend further and the tail feathers are raised

varietyvista.com/09b%20WQ%20Vol%202/DDR%20Detail%20Pages/1964DRDV0031.htm

@SilverEagle420... Thank you for the picture... I will check it out... Cheers, RickO

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip about MagnifierPlus - gonna have to check it out!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice I like

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    There are a ton of machine doubled mint marks on quarters from 1960-64 make sure you have an exact match.

The> @ifthevamzarockin said:

Theres a bunch of RPMs on variety vista but the pics wont load for me :/

"Theres a bunch of RPMs on variety vista but the pics wont load for me :/ "

I just checked it works for me. You might try a different browser if you are having problems. There are 6 listings on VV for rpm's. If you are collecting RPM's that is great but if you are looking for something that has more value the minor RPM's in circulated grades are hard to get any premium. I didn't see a listing that was what I would call bold or strong. I guess what I am trying to say is they are great coins to learn from and train your eye but if you never figure out what RPM it is there will be no great loss. It looks like there are 2 that might be a match the rest are machine doubling.

Ok so PCGS'S Variety grader, said that this may be a variety but it is not one that they currently recognize,, so until I find another one and confirm the variety theres no variety I can recieve :/ so does anyone have any that look like this one??

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m old fashion I use a small travel scope and my Rare coin market reports an Grey sheet. iPhone X has great zooming
    ![](https://us.v-
    .net/6027503/uploads/editor/pa/7ay7e4s6je1d.jpg "")

Just need the books and little scope

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

All you need is PCGS rare coin market report. The monthly Greysheet and a small scope with you cell phone.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@SilverEagle420 said:
    Ok so PCGS'S Variety grader, said that this may be a variety but it is not one that they currently recognize,, so until I find another one and confirm the variety theres no variety I can recieve :/ so does anyone have any that look like this one??

Is it because it’s not on the list of what they recognize?

https://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

Soo wtf they only do quarters up to 1830 somin?? Uggh story of my life,,,, idk why theres earlier varieties on the pcgs price guide, caus that's supposed to be strictly for pcgs slabbed coins

Thanks Hemi,, I didnt realized they dont recognize any modern or at least half of any of the older stuff,, that's honestly super disappointing to me though, I get minor varieties but this is an apparent ddr,, on a lighter note my three cent nickel came back with an ms 64! Woot

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Dunno but I am impressed that every new member can image coins better than I can.

B)

They're young were not so much

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Hemi- I didnt read your whole question before I reacted to that list and my confusion there is i just hoped on Ebay and found almost instantly several pcgs 1964's with fs-501 and ddo designations,, so this list is officially a mystery to me

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

Soo wtf they only do quarters up to 1830 somin?? Uggh story of my life,,,, idk why theres earlier varieties on the pcgs price guide, caus that's supposed to be strictly for pcgs slabbed coins

The last bullet on the list:

-Fivaz-Stanton Varieties from the Cherrypickers Guide, Fourth Edition Vol. II and Fifth Edition Vol. I

FS numbers are recognized but have to be listed in the appropriate edition of the CP guide.

@Kkathyl said:
    I’m old fashion I use a small travel scope and my Rare coin market reports an Grey sheet. iPhone X has great zooming
    ![](https://us.v-
    .net/6027503/uploads/editor/pa/7ay7e4s6je1d.jpg "")

Just need the books and little scope

Hello,, so I was looking at your quarter pretty closely and it seems like almost an exact match, I wonder if we were to send them together if they'd recognize the variety or not

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

-Fivaz-Stanton Varieties from the Cherrypickers Guide, Fourth Edition Vol. II and Fifth Edition Vol. I

FS numbers are recognized but have to be listed in the appropriate edition of the CP guide.

That cherrypickers list from what I saw was only the exclusions,, I couldnt find any inclusions

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

That cherrypickers list from what I saw was only the exclusions,, I couldnt find any inclusions

The CPs guides are the inclusions (basically the entire 5th Ed Vol I and 4th Ed Vol II) minus the list of exclusions.

The following Fivaz-Stanton numbers will not be recognized by PCGS:

Series FS Number Date Reason
    Indian Cent FS-010.5 1888 Delisted
    Lincoln Cent FS-034.1 1980-D Delisted
    Buffalo Nickel FS-014.89 1914/3-S Unable to Verify
    Mercury Dime FS-101 1937 Too Minor
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1942 Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1942-D Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1942-S Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1943 Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1943-D Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1943-S Master Die
    Morgan Dollar FS-004 1896-O Counterfeit
    Morgan Dollar FS-005 1900-O Counterfeit
    Morgan Dollar FS-003 1902-O Counterfeit
    SBA Dollar FS-501 1980-S Unable to Verify

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

The CPs guides are the inclusions (basically the entire 5th Ed Vol I and 4th Ed Vol II) minus the list of exclusions.

So should I give up or would NGC recognize it??

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

So should I give up or would NGC recognize it??

The problem is newly established FS numbers may take until the next edition’s are published before TPGS will recognize them.

They have a list of recognized varieties, too.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/

So do people.have to submit to fivaz?? Or do I have to just hold on to it until its recognized

Of course that NGC link wont load lol I'll look on the computer

@SilverEagle420 said:
    So do people.have to submit to fivaz?? Or do I have to just hold on to it until its recognized

If you think you have a new variety then you should send it in for authentication. Might get your name as the discoverer.

Wexler or Wiles come to mind. Go to their websites for contact info.

So I looked up wexlers, is that just a site like variety vista, or will he actually help me to confirm the variety and get it attributed?? Sorry I've never attempted or researched how to achieve a new variety,, Kathy's coin looks almost identical

Nvm I found the submission info, I will likely send it to wexlers,, maybe those other "questionable" RPMS

Ok, so I was poking around on Wexler, and I found a 1964 D WDDR-001 "best of" variety,,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file