Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1924 peace dollar, worth restoration??

Hey I have this 1924 peace dollar that the pics dont do justice for, but on both sides is like a film either from handling or something else,, should I restore this coin with pcgs or is it not nice enough to bother

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is what you are referring to light tan in color? I'm pretty sure that cannot be removed.
    Either way, not worth it to send in for resto, it would be a decent piece to attempt yourself though IMO. If that was a 24-S my answer would be different.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't bother. I have seen MS65 common date Peace Dollars sell for the cost it would take to restore and ship that to and from PCGS or NGC.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth restoration or grading. With the hits on the cheek, the coin would grade 62, 63 tops which is a $25 to $30 coin. You could try a soak in acetone - if the haze is from PVC, that would come off.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not. Consider the approximate value of the coin, as is, compared to the approximate value in a best case “restoration” scenario and then look at the associated cost.

What is the highest grade you could envision for the coin and what would it’s value be, as such? Did you do any homework before starting this thread?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Is what you are referring to light tan in color? I'm pretty sure that cannot be removed.
    Either way, not worth it to send in for resto, it would be a decent piece to attempt yourself though IMO. If that was a 24-S my answer would be different.

What do you mean attempt myself?? Like acetone??

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Absolutely not. Consider the approximate value of the coin, as is, compared to the approximate value in a best case “restoration” scenario and then look at the associated cost.

What is the highest grade you could envision for the coin and what would it’s value be, as such? Did you do any homework before starting this thread?

Yes I researched it but I wasnt even sure what grade it would pull, that's kinda why I'm asking you guys,, but I got my answer

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

@MFeld said:

Yes I researched it but I wasnt even sure what grade it would pull, that's kinda why I'm asking you guys,, but I got my answer

In case it helps, I can’t imagine that the coin could grade better than MS63, with or without “restoration”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a few people would attempt to quick dip this piece, but the costs of stabbing and conservation services would be too much for this common coin.

However, a manicure might be a good thing.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea man, your leaving your finger prints all over the place. :D

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 12:52PM

In general, if you don’t absolutely KNOW that a coin would benefit from restoration the answer is going to be “Not worth it” 99% of the time.

In my book even an coin worth a few thousand would be an iffy proposition. It doesn’t always “work out” and sometimes the coin looked better before. In a best-case scenario you’ll be out shipping, grading fees, the submission fee, and the restoration premium. Then, after all that, the risk/reward/potential increase in value would have to justify the attempt.

Attempts at “improving” a coin are best done sparingly, and then only by those that really understand the potential outcomes and know what they’re doing.

This coin? Ah, no. Just no. Maybe it’s just the photos but it looks hairlined to me. Even if not, it’s not valuable enough to deserve it and not bad enough to justify it.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.
    Generally, no Peace dollar is worth the cost of professional cleaning unless the coin is at least MS-65, and preferable a 1928 or a fully detailed 1921. The 1924 pictured is a common coin in common condition.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a 64. Not nearly worth the cost of restoration.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS: No coin can be restored to original condition.
    The best that can be done is remove contaminants, a small amount of tarnish, and conserve the surfaces to minimize future damage.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may just want to buy certified coins until you are more experienced.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

@ChrisH821 said:

What do you mean attempt myself?? Like acetone??

Yes, and/or MS70, or ezest. But I'm pretty sure once silver gets the light tan(most visible in your last photo), it's permanent. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 2:25PM

@RogerB said:
    The best that can be done is remove contaminants, a small amount of tarnish, and conserve the surfaces to minimize future damage.

While NO coin can be restored to its ORIGINAL condition, things can be done to MANY COINS that 98% of the folks who examine them will think they are original. Of course there are folks who claim any coin that looks original has been cleaned because according to them, old coins can't exist looking like new ones.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    You may just want to buy certified coins until you are more experienced.

Yea I agree,,

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@RogerB said:

While NO coin can be restored to its ORIGINAL condition, things can be done to MANY COINS that 98% of the folks who examine them will think they are original. Of course there are folks who claim any coin that looks original has been cleaned because according to them, old coins can't exist looking like new ones.

Meaning they're either toned or cleaned in some people's opinion?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

No amount of dip or acetone is going to fix the hits on Liberty's face or on the Eagle. Save your money.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

In answer to your question, No the subject coin is not worth restoring from a commercial perspective.

I would recommend that you purchase an eye-appealing Certified MS-64 or MS-65 without having to invest in restoring an inferior coin.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe a good candidate for DCarr to overstrike

• Options

@Stuart said:
    In answer to your question, No the subject coin is not worth restoring from a commercial perspective.

I would recommend that you purchase an eye-appealing Certified MS-64 or MS-65 without having to invest in restoring an inferior coin.

Peace dollars are one of the few I dont have any graded examples I've been looking for a nice one

• Options

@fiftysevener said:
    Maybe a good candidate for DCarr to overstrike

What is that a variety??

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Moonlight Mint

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 5:25PM

You can get a very nice common date (Philly 1922,1923,1924, 1925) certified MS65 coin for around $100.

In the current Heritage auction there are a few. Lot #24185 is one example. There are several at Great Collections too. Item #685591 is nice and Item #703522 is particularly nice. Item #703521 is a 1924 with a late-die state look that usually gives them incredibly deep, flashy luster.

Link to 24185
    Link to 685591
    Link to 703522
    Link to 703521

These are a few I found with just a minute of looking. They're not my coins and I have no personal interest in these lots. Peace dollars are fantastic and easily my favorite coin. Take you're time and pick a nice one. They're reasonably common at brick & mortar coins shops too.

Be careful. Like chocolates, it's hard to stop after just one. :)

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

However, a manicure might be a good thing.

I was waiting, thank you...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was waiting too.... don't get me started. :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated above, this coin is not worth the investment to restore. An acetone bath may help with the haze...Basically, it is a good album coin...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file