Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1960 Fleer Football error?

I was hoping to see if one of the numerous experts on this forum could give me information on this card. I received it with a lot of 1960 Fleer football I bought. Not sure what the deal is with this card and whether it has some value. Notice the lack of name and different color of the name area. Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Looks like one of the 4 printing colors is missing... If it were Jack Kemp, it'd be worth something, but there's probably not much of a market for a Tom Rychlec error.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you check eBay, there are many, many listings for 1960 Fleer football errors and color variations. The quality control was atrocious on this set to begin with, and then is seems that thousands of yellow proofs, blue proofs, uncut strips, wrong backs and other cards with various printing issues made their way into the hobby at a date much later than 1960. Some people like the quirkiness of some of these cards, but they are not generally popular en masse.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Looks to be missing the blue or "cyan" color press. The blue would have otherwise combined with the yellow to create the green field that appears around the yellow name on the standard card.

This is a printing error and generally the hobby doesn't respond to these. As opposed to a true error where something with the card design was altered by human intervention and following that intervention a different variation of the card existed.

With that said there are some examples in the hobby of very valuable printing errors: 1990 Topps Frank Thomas and 1958 Topps Pacho Herrera for example

As far as printing errors are concerned this complete lack of one color is on the stronger side of the interest spectrum for error/variation/odd ball collectors.

You could put it on EBay with a BIN now price or BO and see if you got any takers. Might take some patience however.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com