Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bernard Von Nothaus

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard of this guy?

Are his coins he minted in demand?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_von_NotHaus

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 11:50AM

Yes, and somewhat.

He's selling cryptocurrency and Trump coins now. No Thanks.
    bernardvonnothaus.org/home/

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 12:00PM

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, and somewhat.

His son has a unique name:

The cryptocurrency, identified as LD2, is the brainchild of Extra von NotHaus (son of Liberty Dollar creator Bernard von NotHaus) and Steven Brendtro.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty Dollars were big in the early part of the 21st century. And then, they were not.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, and somewhat.

Thanks

Just curious why his coins did not catch on like Dan Carr coins ?

• Options
    edited April 20, 2019 12:49PM

@bidask said:

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, and somewhat.

Thanks

Bernard's coins did catch on but in a different way because they had different goals.

Dan's goal is to make limited mintage collector pieces which has been successful. Bernard's goal was to make an alternative currency for commerce, which was also successful but resulted in higher mintages and got him into trouble.

There are some collectors of Bernard's coins but, now that they cannot be used, there are a lot of the silver ones relative to the number of collectors. The gold, platinum and pewter ones have lower mintages and still seem to sell for healthy premiums.

A cross over piece is the 6th Anniversary Fair pewter piece which was struck by Ron Landis and Joe Rust of the Gallery Mint. I have a couple of these pewter pieces and a silver strike of this which may be unique.

https://sites.google.com/site/libertydollarencyclopedia/the-pewter-piece

One of the pewter pieces sold for $700 on 7/9/2016, after which more showed up. More recently, there were 4 of these offered for $450 each and 3 have sold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-NORFED-PEWTER-PIECE-Sixth-Anniversary-Fair/183257499133

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

BvN was not making collector coins, he was trying to create an alternative currency. He got convicted of counterfeiting for his efforts.

Liberty Dollars are collected.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

BVN assets were seized and I wonder how much if any were returned by Secret Service bullies. I own one nice beautifully toned prooflike coin
    though.

• Options

instead of VDB its BVNH..... I like it !

• Options

@JBK said:
    My assets at Libetty Dollar (copper rounds awaiting delivery) were seized on the FBI raid. I participated in the legal process to get them back and I did eventually get them about ten years after I ordered and paid for them.

I wonder if you could get the slabbed with a nice pedigree and label saying they had been seized?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:
    My assets at Libetty Dollar (copper rounds awaiting delivery) were seized on the FBI raid. I participated in the legal process to get them back and I did eventually get them about ten years after I ordered and paid for them.

I wonder if you could get the slabbed with a nice pedigree and label saying they had been seized?

Excellent idea and I had been hoping to do just that, but I don't think any TPG could guarantee the provenance since all the types of recovered rounds had also been distributed to some degree prior to the raid.

BvN did offer to add a special counterstamp to recovered "coins" that were sent to him at a cost of $10 each. The coppers only cost me $1 each originally, but I did pay to have him countetstamp the best 6 of my 20.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2019 3:36PM

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

Excellent idea and I had been hoping to do just that, but I don't think any TPG could guarantee the provenance since all the types of recovered rounds had also been distributed to some degree prior to the raid.

BvN did offer to add a special counterstamp to recovered "coins" that were sent to him at a cost of $10 each. The coppers only cost me $1 each originally, but I did pay to have him countetstamp the best 6 of my 20.

What kind of counterstamp was added? Do you have any pics? I’d love to see them.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

What kind of counterstamp was added? Do you have any pics? I’d love to see them.

The counterstamp said MA ( for Monetary Architect", which is what he called himself.)

I think they are in a pile nearby - I'll try to dig them out in the next couple days.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crook. Nothing more or less.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The feds did not like it when they had $ amounts on them ($1, $5, $10, $20).

• Options
    edited April 20, 2019 5:09PM

@davewesen said:
    The feds did not like it when they had $ amounts on them ($1, $5, $10, $20).

I had the feeling it was more that they didn't like it when communities started using it for currency. He was issuing these from 1998 to 2009 so it took a while for them to take action.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Crook. Nothing more or less.

What exactly did he steal, Roger?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trump coins???
    what's that???
    Fake news??? or Fake coins??

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can argue semantics of the word "crook", but BVNH was convicted of counterfeiting, following a jury trial in a Federal Court of Law in 2011. The conviction was upheld on appeal. BVNH is a convicted felon.

Wikipedia is rather kind: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_von_NotHaus

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy I just picked up 180 of them.....

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard for me to attach the word, "crook" to someone wanting to circulate actual intrinsic value coins.
    Especially when the Constitution said that's what the US coinage should be.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, and somewhat.

Thanks

Some are considered collectible. With that said, many are likely turned off by the court adjudication declaring the liberty dollars to be counterfeits. Von Nothaus was convicted of counterfeiting actually.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    It's hard for me to attach the word, "crook" to someone wanting to circulate actual intrinsic value coins.
    Especially when the Constitution said that's what the US coinage should be.

If it makes you feel any better, BVNH issued some paper money too. It was not so popular, but may have made the Federales more mad.

• Options

This is almost as fun/controversial as a Daniel Carr thread. :D

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Von Nothaus was convicted of counterfeiting actually.

This is 100% accurate, but the oversights in his defense in regard to coinage facts as provided by some "expert" witnesses would be mind boggling to most members here.

His "coins" were deemed counterfeit by reason of their "similtude" to US coins, but what about replicas, restrikes, fantasy coins, and bullion rounds that escape scrutiny?

• Options

@JBK said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    Von Nothaus was convicted of counterfeiting actually.

This is 100% accurate, but the oversights in his defense in regard to coinage facts as provided by some "expert" witnesses would be mind boggling to most members here.

His "coins" were deemed counterfeit by reason of their "similtude" to US coins, but what about replicas, restrikes, fantasy coins, and bullion rounds that escape scrutiny?

Many of them too would run afoul of the same statutes depending on the circumstances.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems the feds left him alone until the Ron Paul editions where they made some media attention for Ron Paul for president. The seizure happened a short time later. I never had much with him but a couple hundred dollars, and said as above i got them back after about 10 years.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The government does not tolerate competition.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Defendant Convicted of Minting His Own Currency

U.S. Attorney’s Office
    March 18, 2011

Western District of North Carolina
    (704) 344-6222

STATESVILLE, NC—Bernard von NotHaus, 67, was convicted today by a federal jury of making, possessing, and selling his own coins, announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. Following an eight-day trial and less than two hours of deliberation, von NotHaus, the founder and monetary architect of a currency known as the Liberty Dollar, was found guilty by a jury in Statesville, North Carolina, of making coins resembling and similar to United States coins; of issuing, passing, selling, and possessing Liberty Dollar coins; of issuing and passing Liberty Dollar coins intended for use as current money; and of conspiracy against the United States. The guilty verdict concluded an investigation which began in 2005 and involved the minting of Liberty Dollar coins with a current value of approximately $7 million. Joining the U.S. Attorney Anne M. Tompkins in making today’s announcement are Edward J. Montooth, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the FBI, Charlotte Division; Russell F. Nelson, Special Agent in Charge of the United States Secret Service, Charlotte Division; and Sheriff Van Duncan of the Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office.

More at:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/charlotte/press-releases/2011/defendant-convicted-of-minting-his-own-currency

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any evidence anywhere that these coins ever actually circulated?

What's the condition census for lowballs? AU55-AU58-AU58-MS60-MS60-MS60?

Carry one as a pocket piece and someday you will have a rare coin.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2019 5:40PM

@sellitstore said:
    Is there any evidence anywhere that these coins ever actually circulated?

No.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Conman, crook, counterfeiter. Nothing else.

• Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Also ran the Hawaiian Mint before the Liberty Dollar fiasco

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Certainly the idea of putting face value on his coins was well thought out and one would guess that he knew exactly what he was doing.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2019 6:16PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Defendant Convicted of Minting His Own Currency

Is he the only one to ever be convicted of this? Is this outlawed in the Coinage Act of 1864?

• Options

His conviction was not for the entire "scheme" but rather for creating some "coins" that were supposedly too close in appearance to legal tender coins. In that regard the case was a little weak.

Also, not all Liberty Dollars were deemed to be "counterfeit".

The judge had a thankless job and I think that by the time the trial was over there was little appetite for a prison sentence.

• Options

Also, as far as I know, there were no "victims". That is, no one sued him. His distributors were willing participants, and they did get some LDs into "circulation".

Only the government had an issue with him.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:

They look nice, did you get them for face?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019 10:28PM

One of his interesting and very rare proof copper medals. There were some other more mass produced copper rounds mentioned above, but this one was special and was too expensive to mint in bulk.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@Type2 said:

They look nice, did you get them for face?

No at melt. I Lucked out he was going to toss them in a bucket for scrap I picked some other stuff as well.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Digging up old threads is lame...……

I just landed my first NORFED, kind of interesting story.

I may have to get a few more.

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

• Options

@btcollects said:
    Did I read correctly that his sentence was one year probation?

I feel so much more secure knowing that this criminal was briefly monitored.

At least he has a felony record for life. It is amazing, however, that the government chose to go after him (likely for political reasons) while letting other, more vexing counterfeiters, continue their operations with impunity.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a crook, buyers new exactly what they were buying and he delivered exactly what they bought.

• Options
    edited February 1, 2020 9:43PM

@derryb said:
    Not a crook, buyers new exactly what they were buying and he delivered exactly what they bought.

Merriam-Webster's:
    crook noun
    4: a person who engages in fraudulent or criminal practices

He was founded to have violated the federal counterfeiting statutes and is now a convicted felon. He is very much a crook regardless of whether most here consider him a villain or not. Maybe others will wake up and realize that intent to defraud is not an element of the offense of counterfeiting for the production of the pieces (as opposed to uttering or possession offenses) and that "no one was harmed" is not a good defense. If these were viable defenses, Von Nothaus would have been acquitted or his conviction vacated on appeal.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 11:22PM

The reason he was convicted of counterfeiting was because he attempted to create a new, different product to be used in commerce transactions. Gov didn't want the competition. While similar, he in no way attempted to duplicate US coinage. His coins were unique. His downfall was trying to create a market for his coins by attempting to convince others/merchants to use them instead of coins produced by the government. If you look at all of his coins, none of them come close to duplicating a US Mint product. Had he not actively promoted using them in commerce he would have been just another lawful minter of silver, gold and copper rounds.

The prosecution in the von NotHaus case stood on the claim that because the Liberty Dollar organization was 'selling' silver and gold specie at a price in US dollars that was above their market metal value at the time they were sold, that fraud was being committed. If that were truly the case, then every company manufacturing goods is committing fraud by charging a price that is above the intrinsic value of the material from which the product is made. The counterfeit charge was the best the Gov could come with to address his attempt to introduce a competing coin. The light sentence is proof that they were only interested in eliminating his and any other future money competition.

The long arm of the law is often crooked, not strait. Look for yourself and tell me how these coins are counterfeits of US coins:

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I think the judge was not convinced of the criminality of what he was doing, therefore he levied a light sentence.

One of the realities of the jury system is many people will presume guilt until innocence is proved. If you doubt this stop to think about it a bit.
    How many times when a suspect is arrested for murder are you sure that he is guilty?
    Have you ever thought 'He does look like a murderer, crook, embezzler, or plain evil?

Everyone has at one time or another, including the 12 people sitting on the jury. They see this guy sitting with his attorney at the Defense table and cannot help but think he must be guilty of something or the government would not have taken it this far.

Even if only 5 of twelve think like this it is weighted heavily to the prosecution's favor.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file