Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Mint Medal Restrike Mule?

Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

I was helping a friend of mine evaluate a bunch of medals. Most of them were restrikes from the Mint. Among them was this one:

The obverse is from this medal:

And the reverse is from this one:

Anyone ever see this mule before?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

TTT

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot say I have seen any of those medals, but the reverse’s pic with the left sailing ship’s three masts blown away sure does display the accuracy of the winning ship’s cannoneers.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect you are right, a modern restrike mule.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Henley and Bainbridge mixed up.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch, wonder if it adds any value. What are these restrikes worth?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 8:44PM

That's a great discovery. I wonder how many of these exist.

Thanks for posting it :)

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider the modern, "peanut butter" looking restrikes to be nothing more than novelty pieces.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    That's a great discovery. I wonder how many of these exist.

Thanks for posting it :)

Might have been one, might have been 100.
    Back in 1976 the parent company of Coin World celebrated the centennial of its first publication, the Shelby County Democrat. My friend Dave Alexander came up with the idea of getting two copies of the county namesake General Isaac Shelby medal and getting them suitably engraved. We ordered two and got the right boxes that had the wrong medals in them. Sent them back with a note explaining the problem and got back two more right boxes with the wrong medals in them. Not mules, just packed wrong. They did not care.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the naval scenes... both of them.... I have often thought about collecting coins/medals with ships on them... never really got started... but I sure do like them. Cheers, RickO

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

The illustration in this article is similar to the coin, positions of ships reversed. Teddy Roosevelt's description of the battle is very detailed.
    http://1812now.blogspot.com/2012/12/december-29-1812-constitution-defeats.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file