Home U.S. Coin Forum

55th GA Numismatic Assoc. (GNA) Coin Show April 12-14, Dalton GA

JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

325+ tables, large exhibit area, full schedule of educational programs, YN program, Boy Scout Merit Badge program, US Mint, etc. One of the best regional show in the Southeast. (IMO the best but I may be a bit biased)

I will be presenting "Coins of the Georgia Gold Rush" @ 1:00 pm Friday. A discussion on the History of the Gold Rush, and will take a look at the coins of Templeton Reid, the Bechlers, and the Dahlonega Mint.

Let's see a show of hands on who is coming to the show.

GNA Coin Show

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
About Findley Ridge

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm front and center!

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't make this one, but am hoping to be at BRNA in August! I hope everyone has a great show next weekend!

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2019 7:53AM

I'll be singing in Charlottesville else I would be there! See you at BRNA in August!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

I’m stuck in Texas and will miss out. I would love to see your notes/slides/illustrations from the presentation. I learn something every time you post!

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be there for the duration. I'm exhibiting in one class and serving as an Exhibit Judge in another (along with manning a Club table).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...that is a large show... those who will attend, please provide show reports and check bullion movement please. Cheers, RickO

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a wedding in Panama City that weekend so I'm out.

And NO it's not my wedding.

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2019 5:51AM

Look forward to seeing you there.> @2ndCharter said:

Will be there for the duration. I'm exhibiting in one class and serving as an Exhibit Judge in another (along with manning a Club table).

Same cool exhibit as last year or something new?

I hope to have my "Findley Ridge Collection" (current #1 PCGS Dahlonega Type Set) on display. Just display, not competing.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan to be there and look forwaed to seeing you again, JJSingleton!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

@Yorkshireman said:
    I plan to be there and look forwaed to seeing you again, JJSingleton!

You too Yorkshireman. I'll be there set-up to end.

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arriving tomorrow night for the two day grading class on Weds/Thursday.

That was a birthday present from my wife.

Will spend Friday at the show and head home Friday night.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

What is a decent hotel near the show?

My first trip to Dalton, GA

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

I've always felt the Howard Johnson which used to be a Jamaison Inn was decent and reasonable. Back in the day we used to get it for $36 + taxes. Now it's usually in the mid to high 50's + taxes if you are a good hotel researcher..priceline,wyndam rewards, etc..

@yspsales said:

Tuesday... travel day In what have been the worst travel day of my life. Delays, delays, delays. About 45 min in the Customer Service line, lady smiles "this is an easy fix" but there are still more delays... arrived in hotel room at 1am about 12 hours after beginning the journey. I could have driven to Dalton in 8 hours...

Wednesday... Grading class starts with power point and then the fun begins. Grading Morgans, Walkers as individuals and as a team (table vs table). Most helpful gleaming from the experience of others.

Gillis and Fivaz were great!

More grading on Thursday and coin show on Friday.

Glad you are enjoying the ANA Grading Course. Gillis is very good and Bill is one of our GNA own.

I'll be there early tomorrow. Setup is always a busy day.

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

This and the BRNA are my favorite shows because they are only 2 hours away! Sorry for your travel problems!

@yspsales said:
    Tuesday... travel day In what have been the worst travel day of my life. Delays, delays, delays. About 45 min in the Customer Service line, lady smiles "this is an easy fix" but there are still more delays... arrived in hotel room at 1am about 12 hours after beginning the journey. I could have driven to Dalton in 8 hours...

Wednesday... Grading class starts with power point and then the fun begins. Grading Morgans, Walkers as individuals and as a team (table vs table). Most helpful gleaming from the experience of others.

Same cool exhibit as last year or something new?

Something a bit different - since I won my class last year, I figure I ought to change things up. However, you will get to see last year's exhibit at the Summer ANA.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well? What did anyone buy or sell or learn? Unfortunately I had to sit this on out but looking forward to show reports for this show and looking forward to the BRNA show in August.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Coin Grading class... very instructional and challenging. Best money spent all weekend.

I was only there for Friday. Sold some gold for walking around money.

Seemed as though traffic was light.

Found a Buffalo Nickel and a couple Morgans that I will take a shot at upgrading. A couple more Buffalo Nickels for the Everyman set, and more or less adding to the grading sets. A couple of toners I will cut out of proof sets.

Saw alot of dealer to dealer and dealer to vest pocket dealer activity.

Found it fascinating and interesting listening into the conversations and watching the deals.

Alot of respect for the guys that travel across the country several times a year.

Well, I could give a report but it would be mostly paper money-related so I don't think folks in the forum would care. Also, I don't give a hoot about bullion so nothing to report there, either.

One thing I will mention, though, and I would like to thank the GNA Show Chairman for this - he gave both the ANA and the Society of Paper Money Collectors (SPMC) their Club Tables right next to the entrance. It enabled both of us to sign up some new members along with the opportunity to acquaint a lot of people about the two organizations than would have happened if we were in our normal location in the back of the room.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2019 5:01AM

@yspsales said:

A little late but I, and many other dealers and geeks, stayed at the La Quinta near the show. I stay at a ton of La Quinta's and that one is on par with the upper echelon of La Quinta's I've been to. Some can be horrible, its rare but does happen.. Wyndham properties just acquired the franchise though so not sure how that will effect them going forward, generally speaking.

The more you VAM..

@yspsales said:

Ouch. Came out a week early flying into Charlotte with a layover in Chicago from SoCal and driving down to Dalton. Just as we boarded the plane in Chi we were informed of what turned out to be a 3hr+ delay due to thunderstorms over Charlotte. Luckily we were at the gate still and not on the runway already so at least we got to come and go from the cramped quarters of the cabin waiting for it to pass.

Heading to the Atlanta airport now, flight was booked to leave a 2pm. Checked last night and for some reason our flight was at 11am now. Called and sure enough we were originally on a Max 780 that was grounded. No email or call to inform us of the change. Good thing we checked. Hopefully it will he a smooth day otherwise..

The more you VAM..
    edited April 15, 2019 7:06AM

It was so bad on Tuesday, the plane circled Charlotte long enough that we nearly had to turn around for fuel and land in Florence SC... about an hour from my house.

Sat on the runway for about an hour before reaching the gate.

Some poor souls headed to Orlando could not get a flight until Thursday.

That was just the inbound flight.

Friday was just about as bad... 2 am getting home.

I will NEVER fly anywhere... ever again.

Lucky to have wife's family near Atlanta and in Jacksonville. Will hit the FUN show in January and with the Ga show in Atlanta next year... going to drive.

Baltimore... a possibility with about the same distance driving.

Told my wife to get ready. I am already shopping for an RV.

In about five years going to retire and become a road warrior.

Hit every coin shop, coin show, sports book, and poker room on the East Coast.

Rinse and repeat then head west.

Gonna need to buy a vest I guess...

edited April 15, 2019 10:17AM

Did anyone attend the Die Variety presentation with David Close? Just wondered IF more than one person showed up this time? ;)

@Hallco said:
    Did anyone attend the Die Variety presentation with David Close? Just wondered IF more than one person showed up this time? ;)

I sat in some of Dr Close's presentation and there were probably 6-8 folks attending. There were some serious Die Variety guys in attendance so much of the discussion went over my head. :o

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

@JJSingleton said:
    I sat in some of Dr Close's presentation and there were probably 6-8 folks attending. There were some serious Die Variety guys in attendance so much of the discussion went over my head. :o

Yeah, I think some of the Vamworld guys were supposed to be at the show. Glad David had some folks there! :)

Well, my flight home from Atlanta to SoCal yesterday SUCKED. Started out with a Hertz employee stealing $450 cash out of my wallet and ended up being a 12hr trip with 4 stops (Atlanta to Austin to St. Louis to Phoenix to Ontario) with 3 plane changes. My God that was brutal. Wow. Thankfully it was an extreemly profitable trip but still..

The more you VAM..
    edited April 16, 2019 4:47PM

@Hallco said:

There were 5 or so in the room. David was so happy and giddy to talk Varieties, as usual. 5 or 50, his passion shines through all the same.

The more you VAM..

@JJSingleton said:

@Hallco said:

I was the one up front towards the door talking Morgans.

The more you VAM..
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Well, my flight home from Atlanta to SoCal yesterday SUCKED. Started out with a Hertz employee stealing $450 cash out of my wallet and ended up being a 12hr trip with 4 stops (Atlanta to Austin to St. Louis to Phoenix to Ontario) with 3 plane changes. My God that was brutal. Wow. Thankfully it was an extreemly profitable trip but still..

How did that happen????

Dead people tell interesting tales.
    edited April 17, 2019 6:08PM

@SurfinxHI said:

@CascadeChris said:

How did that happen????

Wallet fell out of my sweats pocket in between seat, retuned car, got to check in and realized it was gone. Could only have been in the car. Needed ID to fly home, frantically went back to rental area 20mins after dropping off. They found the wallet and an employee brought it to me. I opened it to give him a $100 to split with him and who found it and boom, all cash gone. Luckily I got my ID and all cards back (although I'm going to have to cancel them or watch them like a hawk the next month in case they took quick pics of any of my cards for online use) BUT they didn't search it too well, guess they didnt have enough time because they missed $150 in 1981 small portrait bills I have tucked as super emergency cash... Then Notre Dame burns to the ground while I'm in the air... What an unforgettable day!

The more you VAM..
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! Thieves are the worst. Glad you at least got part of it back!

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file