Home U.S. Coin Forum

1974 D Original roll + GOLD

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this roll for 10.00 today at an antique store. Later I would find them on EB for 6.00 but I'm not so sure I would trust some of those. This one looks authentic and never opened, I'll post any gems later. The store owner directed me to another place around the corner a (jewelry/coin) and this place is closing shop so he can take care of his father who has become ill. Anyway so, I'm a straight up junkie for proof/UC sets and he sold me these for 10% under internet pricing. Hang on it gets better, he showed me these gold coins, CC slabbed dollars, trade dollars, etc. and to me the best of all and I wish I had taken pics of 1887 & 1888 indian head proofs with amazing colors. He asked 800.00 each for the proofs that are raw but then backtracked saying he would probably grade them first. They looked amazing but I was only carrying a few hundred. If anyone is interested let me know and I will put you contact with him.

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1974-D is a super common roll and usually rolls like this will yield a few gems.
    I buy "OBW" 74-D rolls only if they are dirt cheap, and I'm talking 65-75c per roll.
    And they are available for that price.
    That being said, even 67RDs of this year are taking a beating and realistically, you would need a 67+ to make any money after grading fees.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were the "1887 & 1888 Indian head proofs" cents? If so, tread very carefully.

Years ago I was selling some coins for a friend and they had a 1901 cent they thought was a proof. They had me convinced as well, but when I took it into JJ Teaparty in Boston they immediately said it was not a proof. You can't always go by the typical features we normally associate with proofs (mirror fields and frosty devices). The guy at the coin shop took one look at the rims and could tell it was just a proof-like business strike.

I love the Franklin era proof sets, and I also have my share of later proof and mint sets, but those sets from the 1970s and 1980s are not really worth much more than face value. Hopefully the "Internet price" that he used as a basis was low enough.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 2:33PM

@mannie gray said:
    The 1974-D is a super common roll and usually rolls like this will yield a few gems.
    I buy "OBW" 74-D rolls only if they are dirt cheap, and I'm talking 65-75c per roll.
    And they are available for that price.
    That being said, even 67RDs of this year are taking a beating and realistically, you would need a 67+ to make any money after grading fees.

I figured as much, but it’s the first time I’ve ever bought an original roll of anything so I am super excited to open it. what is OBW?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Original Bank Wrapped", though in most cases the bank had a third party roll the coins.

@JBK As I go along I’m finding I really like the franklins and the Lincoln’s but after seeing those Indians I May have a new affair.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...no pictures of the IHC proofs?? You should go back and get a couple of pictures, we could give you comments and it may be worth making a deal. Seems like There may be some good deals in that shop... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Interesting...no pictures of the IHC proofs?? You should go back and get a couple of pictures, we could give you comments and it may be worth making a deal. Seems like There may be some good deals in that shop... Cheers, RickO

He was actually taking down his shop when I arrived but, I have his number and will try to do so.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is this shop?

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

I’d also like to know where the shop is :)

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

@smudge @JasonGaming A small Texas town north of Houston. I can put you in contact with the owner if you wish. But, in good conscience I cannot advertise his gold and where it is, you understand.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @smudge @JasonGaming A small Texas town north of Houston. I can put you in contact with the owner if you wish. But, in good conscience I cannot advertise his gold and where it is, you understand.

Thanks, close enough. Too far for a road trip too look them over.

@smudge I take it your not in Texas :D

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

If I ever decide to head to Texas for one of those giant steaks I have heard so much about in my life you can tag along if you'd like! ;)

@hallco. Yall come on down.

@Hallco said:

@Smudge said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

If I ever decide to head to Texas for one of those giant steaks I have heard so much about in my life you can tag along if you'd like! ;)

Cool, I could eat off that for a couple of weeks.

@JBK said:
    Were the "1887 & 1888 Indian head proofs" cents? If so, tread very carefully.

Years ago I was selling some coins for a friend and they had a 1901 cent they thought was a proof. They had me convinced as well, but when I took it into JJ Teaparty in Boston they immediately said it was not a proof. You can't always go by the typical features we normally associate with proofs (mirror fields and frosty devices). The guy at the coin shop took one look at the rims and could tell it was just a proof-like business strike.

I love the Franklin era proof sets, and I also have my share of later proof and mint sets, but those sets from the 1970s and 1980s are not really worth much more than face value. Hopefully the "Internet price" that he used as a basis was low enough.

Yes, IHC. & on the sets yes, not worth much, until you hit a 70 or a 69 in some cases. On the indians, I couldn't tell they were proofs either but I have zero experience with those. Although he was quite sure they were. from a distance they look brown and up close at an angle you could see purple, magenta, and green. And a slight contrast between devices and fields. Even if they are business strikes aren't they still worth a lot in a high grade? Guess I'll check the price guide.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

I thought the Federal Reserve Banks do NOT roll coins and just distribte them in bulk for others to do?

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mongo like shiny gold stuff.

@giantsfan20 Hell if I know. After my sons baseball game late last night I finally had a chance to open them (no aluminum) but very pretty indeed. All but 3 or 4 have bag marks. Unfortunately, the ones with higher luster had the bag marks. Some had die polish lines while some did not. Conundrum on which if any to send in. Your thoughts? I'll post pics in a day or two, tonight is date night with the Mrs. otherwise it'l be me and coins forever man.

My OCD in OT. I would try to showcase the best one but I got bigger fish to fry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file