Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Exciting Mantle submission...FINAL UPDATE 5/13

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just figured I’d share this here as my excitement is starting to bubble over and I wanted to share it with my fellow CU members. I have six Mickey Mantle items at Newport Beach as we speak. My hope is I will have them back by May sometime but I’m not one who minds or complains about turnaround time. Granted, they’re not 6 1952 Topps 311’s but they’re picture pack/Photo Pack items. I’m not working on his master set, per se, but I’ve long collected Mickey Mantle stuff and have an eclectic mix including cards. Anyway, they’re all logged in now. The All Star Pack is on a hand written form (Jumbo Form) and so I can’t quite screen cap it but I have posted scans before (and will slip one into this thread, too). If I were to appraise the condition, I thought it would conservatively earn a 5 or better with a 6 the likeliest outcome. There’s no writing, no creases, sharp corners and very minimal toning.

Then there’s this batch of five:

Of them, the 1962 is the one most worth discussing. For whatever reason, the pop of these is weirdly low and as someone who looks for and collects these you never really see them. This one is in awesome shape. Other than tilt, it’s sharp. As mentioned before, I lose the ability to distinguish much above a 7 but I think this could get that or better. It is just really sharp. I had another at the same time as this one and sold it to a guy working on the master set and it graded 5. I thought this one considerably sharper.

The 55-57 is long a favorite of mine and seen on many other issues, too. I sold my SGC 7 when I found this. I prefer to send raw rather than cross graded and have high hopes for this one too.

The 1966 Team Issue is also good looking and the 1959 Jay Publishing All Star is pretty high end looking but the Jay All Star is mid to lower grade with a small nick along the left side. I’ll put up the scan of each shortly. Gotta find them.

The 62-65 Jay Portrait is a just beater that presents well. A 2 wouldn’t surprise me at all with an upside of 3.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the '59 Jay, Tim.

Those are really exceptional Mantle photo cards.

Best of luck.

Mike
  • bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Nice ones Tim. That is a beautiful 64 Sports Service photo...or as PSA slabs it 62 :)
    Did you try to get the large format 50's Action photo slabbed? I would be curious if they slabbed and what year they gave it on the flip. They are grading Manny's 61, all Rawlings, and Equitable now as Jumbos too.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 8:14AM

@bswhiten said:
    Nice ones Tim. That is a beautiful 64 Sports Service photo...or as PSA slabs it 62 :)
    Did you try to get the large format 50's Action photo slabbed? I would be curious if they slabbed and what year they gave it on the flip. They are grading Manny's 61, all Rawlings, and Equitable now as Jumbos too.

I’m usually inclined just to wait until I see one show up graded - like yours!!! I absolutely love the pose and it’s in fabulous shape, too.

(Will put scan here soon)

But I’m not sure how/why certain specs get created and others don’t. My 54 All Star Set I can only get Williams and Mantle graded ? When almost every guy is a collectible HOF? I would even let @psacard keep them for a year to show off the jumbos, Ben. I’m easy like Sunday morning. But I did it once and it was fun but I wouldn’t want to create any extra work for anyone. I love the company and the way the finished product looks. I am not one who collects for anything other than enjoyment. Some grades have been a disappointment and some have caused my pants to tighten! All part of the fun. And that’s what this is for me, FUN!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited March 28, 2019 8:17AM

@bswhiten

By the way, after our last PM chat, I went on Amazon...it’s 1956 you were right...

...as was I; they’re in the Standard Catalog. The one with the 'Wheaties pose' is from the 1957 set.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice mantles. I can see why you're excited.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai
    @doubledragon
    @Stone193
    @bswhiten

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

This will be the only the 12th 1962 Team Issue Mantle to be slabbed; 8 is the highest, next best is a 5.

The 1955-57 Yankees Picture Pack will be the 46th. Of them, just 5 have graded 7 or better.

Again, I don’t know where these land and I completely trust the pros at PSA.

It’s fun to dream, though, too. And fun to have guys like you to share with...

• BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Great looking Mantles Tim. You have every right to be excited, any collector would be.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@Bishtw said:
    Great looking Mantles Tim. You have every right to be excited, any collector would be.

Thanks, Troy!

Saw this on eBay today. I will have to get together a new Jumbo submission for next week...

The first verdict is in; on the 1954 All Star Pack Mickey Mantle and PSA has determined this item is VG 3. It’s the first item posted in the thread. I fully recognize that grading is part art and part science, I’ve had lots of items graded and taken my fair share of ‘tough luck’ with respect to grades and always without complaint. This one? I’ll still stick with the no complaining thing though mainly because I don’t really even know what to say or whom to say it to. And even if I did, all I’d be doing is wasting my breath and someone else’s time. Better to let them keep working and grading all our stuff, right? Right.

By the way, PSA did an excellent job getting it turned around well within the 25 day time frame. Good news for everyone!

Hopefully the other five can do better though I’ve lost a significant amount of hope for that happening. Hey, at least they’ll be protected in the slabs. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Wish me luck.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible you missed a small surface wrinkle? Just asking, because it would explain the 3.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:
    Possible you missed a small surface wrinkle? Just asking, because it would explain the 3.

Anything is possible, right? To be honest, any further response will start to feel like complaining. The scan is there; if that’s what PSA says a 3 looks like then that’s what a 3 looks like. What do I know? Quite obviously, nothing as it turns out. :smile:

Just updating the thread with the results as they come in.

Not meant to disparage your item(s) at all. I’m enjoying this thread quite a bit, since I’m also a player collector and my first jumbo submission is currently at PSA.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:
    Not meant to disparage your item(s) at all. I’m enjoying this thread quite a bit, since I’m also a player collector and my first jumbo submission is currently at PSA.

I’m a collector who is just having fun so don’t worry about it. Honestly, I’m proud of that item and I expect a lot of ‘what’s wrong with it’ and ‘why so low’ type questions. Which, frankly, speaks volumes.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@DBesse27 said:

I’m a collector who is just having fun so don’t worry about it. Honestly, I’m proud of that item and I expect a lot of ‘what’s wrong with it’ and ‘why so low’ type questions. Which, frankly, speaks volumes.

I thought you yourself were asking “why so low.” Again, my apologies if I misunderstood. You have every reason to be proud of that item, as I am of some of mine that are only PSA 1’s but are rare and have great eye appeal.

Yaz Master Set

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2019 1:59PM

Saw this on eBay today. I will have to get together a new Jumbo submission for next week...

Hiya Tim

I'm confused.

Is the PSA 3 your card?

Not sure I get it. Are you just comparing the eBay card with the card you posted in March that you need to sub?

Mike

@DBesse27 said:

@DBesse27 said:

I thought you yourself were asking “why so low.” Again, my apologies if I misunderstood. You have every reason to be proud of that item, as I am of some of mine that are only PSA 1’s but are rare and have great eye appeal.

Maybe I’m not being clear and that’s my fault. I’m happy I’ll have it home soon and the result of the grade is very disappointing and in my opinion wildly off. This ain’t hindsight - I posted my expectations ahead of time and hi res scans with it. If under intense scrutiny, a micro crease was found so be it - that’s their job. My point is this item in a 3 holder will look quite out of place. Quite.

And when the owner of the 3.5 makes a point of contacting me with a comment that it looks like I got (I’ll paraphrase) pretty hosed on the grade as mine looked sharper than his it vindicates my opinion somewhat.

Again, it’s a cool item and I’m always happy to have a sub coming back home from PSA. You guys can see it when it gets here and decide for yourselves.

The simple fact is PSA makes mistakes. Plenty of them. I’m not going to jump up and down about it because I am a grown ass man that collects baseball cards. If I start jumping up and down, the secret will really be out that I never grew up! :wink:

And I DID reach out to PSA...

...to THANK the person who walked me through my first Jumbo submission and to let them know it went smoothly, the grade is up and that it should be back to me soon.

@Stone193 said:

Hiya Tim

I'm confused.

Is the PSA 3 your card?

Not sure I get it. Are you just comparing the eBay card with the card you posted in March that you need to sub?

I sent the item below to PSA in March. The grade popped today (VG 3) and it is still at PSA so I do not have a photo of it in the slab. Here’s the scan of my ‘3’ from before it was sent it:

Mike, we’re not too different and I’m sure your mom told you the same thing my mom did about when you don’t have anything nice to say. So, I’m biting my tongue and just about choking on blood, pal!

I am sorry for any confusion, Mike.

edited April 12, 2019 3:35PM

For the mods?

I share a lot on these threads. If I have crossed some invisible line in the sand, feel free to let me know. I planned on sharing all the results as they come in...

@DBesse27 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Dan - just to be SUPER clear? Thanks for the comments; I appreciate anytime anyone weighs in on an item I post. You are almost certainly right that it’s probably something very minor that I missed.

That said, I had it in hand for quite some time, I looked it over carefully and I have seen each of the other graded copies and even handled one of them in person. So it’s not like I don’t have some frame of reference here, either. This one BLOWS THEM AWAY.

At the end of the day, I’ve already spent far too much time on discussing this item. The decision has been made and there’s no recourse for correcting it other than resubbing it. And that’s just not a game I play. I will say, quite honestly, that I am not really excited or ready to send more items in at this point for Jumbo grading. Between the cost and this result, I actually think I’m better off keeping them raw. In this particular case, I think having it put in a slab has almost hurt the ‘value’ - kind of the opposite of the intended result.

edited April 17, 2019 7:48AM

He’s home.

All I can say is wow. The holder is FANTASTIC! Really much lighter than I had expected but sturdy and strong and sharp like the other PSA products. While the grade on the flip obviously saddens me a little, having it in hand, the turnaround time, the quality of the holder and the presentation of the item as a finished product is truly exquisite and have made the first Jumbo submission overall a major success with part one of the Mantle submission over. I still have five more which I’m hoping pop in the next two or three weeks. I don’t have the money to do these all as quickly as I’d like and I am in no rush but here’s a shot of the newly slabbed Mickey and some my other oversized items for scale.

Stay tuned...

Upon closer inspection, there’s a very thin and well cut and well placed clear thin plastic liner behind the card to help hold it in place. It is completely imperceptible for the most part but really helps keep the item more firmly in place.

A very nice feature upgrade from prior more noticeable liners.

Looks excellent in the slab! Thanks, too, for the photo of scale. Looks like Those slabs are truly massive. I have my first 6 at PSA now and due to “pop” this week or next.

Yaz Master Set

@DBesse27 said:
    Looks excellent in the slab! Thanks, too, for the photo of scale. Looks like Those slabs are truly massive. I have my first 6 at PSA now and due to “pop” this week or next.

I wish you the best of luck. I think you’ll be even happier with them once you’ve got them in hand.

Semi related?

As we all do, I logged in to PSA for a status check and to look up some items to see if there’s a spec yet. Sure, you never know exactly how long items will take BUT when I came across this feature, I didn’t remember it being there last time. Perhaps I just missed it or I’m late to the party but this was pretty cool to see:

So, part two of the subs in the thread could pop this week.

Just thought the above ‘clock’ was pretty cool and worth pointing out to my fellow collectors.

The results are in for part 2:

Well, they’re on the way home and they are in oversized PSA slabs. They were ready on day 25. This completes the grading portion and I will post the high res scans once they get home.

That Mantle collection just keeps getting bigger. Can't wait to see them.

• bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Nice Tim! Didn’t thing the 62 team issue would be that low. Was it stained on the back or something?

Ben,

There’s absolutely nothing. It’s almost hard to believe at this point and now it is two submissions in a row with results like these. You can bet I will be posting the scans of them as soon as they come home.

The rest of my Mickey items are probably going to go to SGC at this point. I’ll use PSA for cards because they obviously know what they’re doing with cards.

Tim

edited May 6, 2019 4:31AM

Some of the nicest 3's I've seen!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I know you're disappointed in these grades, and they do like way undergraded. I'm strictly a card guy. What do the PSA guidelines say for photo grading? Any clues there as to the low grades?

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973

Beautiful Mantles. They do look undergraded to me also.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some tough grades for some outstanding looking Mantles. Must be some micro-wrinkles that can only be seen when the card is angled just right in a bright light. Regardless of the grades those are pretty sweet.

@mrpeanut39 said:
    I know you're disappointed in these grades, and they do like way undergraded. I'm strictly a card guy. What do the PSA guidelines say for photo grading? Any clues there as to the low grades?

@doubledragon said:
    Beautiful Mantles. They do look undergraded to me also.

I don’t think PSA likes to have people on the boards discussing this (accuracy of grading) so I’m doing my best to stay off it.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don’t really know what to say or do in this situation. I am frustrated and sad and I can’t explain it. The 1962 YankeesTeam Issue is the one that just...

...never mind. I like this place and PSA too much.

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

@JBrules said:
    Some tough grades for some outstanding looking Mantles. Must be some micro-wrinkles that can only be seen when the card is angled just right in a bright light. Regardless of the grades those are pretty sweet.

I have submitted quite a few Team Issues and "J" Photos for grading and I think the problem is bends in the items that aren't really creases or wrinkles, but I am not sure. Some I have sent in look nearly perfect and get hammered.

This one came out of an unopened pack :-( The "lines" on the upper corners are on all of them. I figured an 8 minimum.

As I went back and looked at this thread, I felt a closing post in order.

First, thank you to everyone who checked out my stuff or chimed in. I appreciate it greatly. Part of the fun of collecting (for me) is the sharing with others.

Second, thank you to PSA for the grading work, the meeting of turnaround times and the protection provided and value added to each of these collectibles.

Lastly, a shout out to Jackie at PSA for being the best there is. Those who know, know. The world should be full of Jackie’s.

Happy collecting.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love seeing those Mantles.
    As a Yankee collector I am starting to appreciate non card items.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets