Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a neat old coin while renovating

coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this 1840-O seated dime behind a wall in an old building that I've been renovating. Not in the best of condition but still a neat find.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's cool. money for nothing and that being that id be happy to

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Any idea of the age of the building?

• Options

It's a brick apartment building that was built in 1835-1836.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really cool find.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinnut said:
    Found this 1840-O seated dime behind a wall in an old building that I've been renovating. Not in the best of condition but still a neat find.

That is a beautiful seated dime!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice silver coin find! Hey, you could place that situation in my Thread. In the category of,"Somewhere in your own house".

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it an old pottery shop?

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I've heard that house demolishers often check under front door thresholds because it was a Norwegian tradition to place a half dollar under them

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

They also check under the flour bin drawers for the hidden egg money (old farm houses)

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crispy said:
    I've heard that house demolishers often check under front door thresholds because it was a Norwegian tradition to place a half dollar under them

There's the right way, the wrong way, and there's Norway!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Cool find, congrats

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty neat

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! I once found a 1932 quarter in the floor paint of an old basement being repainted. Pretty sure it was planted WAY back when. Love these discoveries!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a neat find for sure. The oldest coins I've every found in a house that I was doing work in were some Mercury dimes from the 30's.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great find.... old silver and with an O mint mark too. Old buildings, and old foundations, often yield a coin or two....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I found a British half penny last week from King George III dated between 1770-1775. Barely enough detail to identify it.
    Today I found a Canadian cent from 1886.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file