Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

***ONE LAST UPDATE*** Should I or shouldn't I? I did!!

mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I have a question for you autograph guys.

I have had a few of these Ryne Sandberg Red Lobster cards but this is th eonly one I have left. While not rare they are not easy to find in great condition due to the fact the set was given away at Wrigley and it was heavily shrink wrapped which caused many corner issues. As this is Sandberg's real rookie card I am in a bit of a conundrum.

Sandberg signs through the mail for ten bucks and I do know those autographs are real. He lives within an hour drive of me and he is around town signing autographs to getting a real one is not a worry. The question is SHOULD I have it signed or leave it as it is? I love the idea of signed rookie cards but I know these Red Lobsters in better condition have some collectability as well.

What are your thoughts??

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

Answers

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say have it signed then dual graded. Doubtful that there are many high grade autos out there.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were you, I would leave it alone. It is already a masterpiece. I just never liked the idea of writing on a card, even if it is Ryne Sandberg doing the writing. It's still writing.

• StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I would perhaps have him sign a lesser condition one and get this one graded if you think it would be one of the higher graded versions of this card.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I would grade that one as is and in its place, do a ttm of either an 83 donruss or Topps. I would also do it in blue ink as I think that would really pop on both of those cards.

I am not really a big fan of getting pre printed auto cards, autographed. It's always looked funny to me. Besides that, the lobster card looks to be in great condition and in my opinion would have better eye appeal slabbed just as it is

• SullyknowsSullyknows Posts: 104 ✭✭

I would, if it could be done in person. There's a ton of signed topps, fleer and donruss cards. This would be different. May even get a comment or story from him about the card.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Sign it

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

What's the population on the card?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    What's the population on the card?

Great question. I had to take a look and the results actually surprised me. 44 9's and almost the same amount of 10's was not what I expected to see. I took a look at completed Ebay sales and saw one PSA "8" went for 30 bucks, a "9" sold for under 40 bucks and one "9" that actually went for $115. There is currently a PSA "10" with buy it now of $350 and a "10" for an amazing $699 buy it now. The crazy thing is I only saw one autographed Sandberg listed and it had a buy it now for $155.

In the end there are not many of these graded so perhaps I will just have this one graded and pray for a 10 and look for a lesser graded card and have that signed as someone suggested. This set came with a team card and one suggestion I was given was to have Sandberg sign that card but that is still up in the air.

The interesting thing about this set is that it contains the true rookie of Sandberg, a rookie of newest Hall of Famer Lee Smith and a card of Fergie Jenkins. Three Hall of Famers in this obscure and scarce team issued set is unusual. These cards are unique and cheap right now. I also like the 1983 Cubs Thirn Apple Valley set with Sandberg, Jenkings and Smith as well as the real rookie of Blue Jays Series hero Joe Carter. A card that I much prefer over the Donruss rookie that is generally accepted as his first card.

Thanks for all the input guys. Feel free to keep the comments coming.

@mccardguy1 said:
    In the end there are not many of these graded so perhaps I will just have this one graded and pray for a 10 and look for a lesser graded

Andy, the way the card is oriented, the lower left corner appears to be showing white. I can't see that scoring a 10. Unless I'm wrong and it's scanner glare but I don't think so.

@lawnmowerman said:

@mccardguy1 said:
    In the end there are not many of these graded so perhaps I will just have this one graded and pray for a 10 and look for a lesser graded

Andy, the way the card is oriented, the lower left corner appears to be showing white. I can't see that scoring a 10. Unless I'm wrong and it's scanner glare but I don't think so.

This may be a better image than the one I posted earlier. Honestly, PSA does not hand out 10's too often and I have zero preconceived notions that this will come back a 10. I feel a 9 is more likely and I think, given scarcity of these cards I may be ok with that. Anything less than a 9 will be cracked out and have Ryno ink applied to it.

Wow it was mostly glare. That looks a lot better. Good luck grading it !

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Sign it

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Andy

As I see it. If I had a good shot at a 9 or 10? I'd want it graded sans the auto.

If I still wanted the RL card signed? I'd pick up a nrmt copy for a sig.

To be honest, I wish his sig - today - looked like the one in the Red Lobster card.

Mike
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Matt. I never get cards signed that already have a facsimile. I hate the look.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

edited March 2, 2020 3:56PM

I had a chance to not only pick up another Red Lobster Sandberg rookie but picked up the whole set for a song and dance. This set even has a very nice Lee Smith rookie in it as well as a Fergie Jenkins in it.

This may be the one I Send to get autographed!!

looking at both cards side by side......On the first picture posted last year one can see on the left hand side what appears to be the knee of the second baseman but in the new card I have just posted, that knee is not there. When holding the cards together it is obvious the new card is trimmed. I got this at a great price so I am not ticked off and it looks like Sandberg is going to get to sign another Red Lobster card.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Quality control may not have been the greatest with this set. I would not necessarily assume it was trimmed, unless it does not line up size wise with others. I have Dodger postcards that have some serious cropping differences.

As for the signature question, I would have that card signed all day. I am a fan of having the best cards signed, regardless of value unsigned. In the end, after Sandberg dies, that is it. We will only have the "handful" of cards someone sent off for him to sign. There will always be plenty of unsigned ones for those who don't like autographs. Don't miss the chance now to have something that may be near impossible to find years down the road.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I would not have the card in the original post signed. It is too historic. I would definitely have the newly acquired card signed, particularly if it is suspected of being trimmed.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

@MikeyP said:
    I would not have the card in the original post signed. It is too historic. I would definitely have the newly acquired card signed, particularly if it is suspected of being trimmed.

You and I are on the same page. I already mailed out the most recent Red Lobster card to Sandburg for his autograph. I will post a picture when it returns.

edited March 23, 2020 12:34PM

Its back...it's real and it is spectacular!!

Not that I need it authenticated as I know its real I wouldn't mind getting is slabbed for protection. I am going to have to find me a few more of these Red Lobster cards that easily fly under the radar and get them signed as well.

So I now have a signed version and an unsigned version...

I also sent him another Cubs, Wrigley Field exclusive that I had been working having the whole team sign so I figured I would get this one out of the way as well.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

Great piece, congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

I just wanted to update this thread with the outcome of the grading for the unautographed Red Lobster Sandberg rookie. I did send this card to SGC and it came back an 8.5. I am not at all disappointed at this grade as I was expecting an 8 so I now have a graded rookie and a signed Red Lobster rookie.

Thanks for following this thread. Unless I pick up another cheap Sandberg I don't anticipate many more updates!!