Home Sports Talk

Kyle Korver speaks out about white privilege and racial injustice

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of the guy and couldn’t care less what his opinions are.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

wasn't he on the partridge family?

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual, this type of person is too naive or afraid to address the real underlying problematic issues facing various communities.

Until folks out there in these communities start becoming responsible for their own behavior, instead of blaming others or conjuring up false narratives, then these problems will continue to fester in our society.

There really should be no excuses or straw man arguments any longer for bad behavior. The economy is booming, jobs are plentiful, and we've got the strictest civil rights laws in the world that are rigidly enforced.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so sick of the "white privilege" statement the "privilege" is in being wealthy, not in being white.

The top 5% income earners in this country (in conjunction with the government they now own) make all the decisions.

White people are just as "abused".

PLEASE know your true enemy, it's not me.

Ever hear the saying "Divide and conquer?"

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^ This.

In Modern America, the true qualifier is now Socio Economic Status and not Race. Too many people make too much money race bating.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

That's because you have been spending too much time out there buying all those old coins. ;)

Seriously he is a pretty good 3 point shooter that has been on several teams.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

That's because you have been spending too much time out there buying all those old coins. ;)

Haha, It took a lot of research Jon!! And hey good for him on being an awesome 3 point shooter, I got a great idea about that though, how about he just keeps doing that and keeps his mouth shut about this “White Privilege” nonsense?

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 8:54AM

Has he looked at himself in the mirror lately? And is this really what they would like to see? A world/society that sends the message that white is the "bad race" and one should be embarrassed and ashamed of it? Observe...

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Cardassians_(episode)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Perkdog acquiring that beautiful coin in his first venture into coin collecting, is like a MLB rookie hitting a home run in his first at bat. :)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for him

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 10:44AM

This page is not about opinions related to racial topics...real, contrived, opinionated, or otherwise.

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Haha, It took a lot of research Jon!! And hey good for him on being an awesome 3 point shooter, I got a great idea about that though, how about he just keeps doing that and keeps his mouth shut about this “White Privilege” nonsense?

I agree.....and happy hunting in your new coin collecting venture. :)

Steve & Jon, thank you again. 🍻

@perkdog said:

And you got a cool die break out of the deal as an added bonus B)

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited April 11, 2019 12:26PM

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

And you got a cool die break out of the deal as an added bonus B)

m

And I wouldn’t have grabbed it if it wasn’t for you my friend! Be advised, another Email might be coming your way again soon bud 😀🍻

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

This page is not about opinions related to racial topics...real, contrived, opinionated, or otherwise.

I respectfully disagree. If there’s a topic that you don’t wish to discuss, you are under no obligation to open the thread.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to think that in all human societies, countries, cultures, tribes, etc. throughout history there has been various types and amounts of "privilege" that some persons have and that other persons do not have.

Whatever such "privilege" has been enjoyed around the world through time has not been limited to any particular subgroup of humanity (i.e. young, old, tall, short, thin, heavy, good looking, not good looking, male, female, white, brown, yellow, black, etc.). Privilege has been enjoyed by a cross section.

The current social trend of placing "white privilege" towards the top of conversation and discussion is curious to me. When, how, where, who and why did it start?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if society woke up one morning to find that all persons who are claimed to have "white privilege" are gone.

Who would next be placed into the hot seat and what complaints would be made against them?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The economy is booming, jobs are plentiful

in some areas, in some job sectors. overall, no, especially in urban areas.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 1:24PM

Dad told me when I got my drivers license, If I get pulled over be polite and don't argue with the cop...that is what the courts are for. He didn't tell me to keep my hands on the wheel and not to reach for my wallet as it was 1972 suburban America and cops were not yet under siege. Stops were never fun, but the tension experienced today was not a factor.

Cop tells you to move along, you move along. Cop attempts to arrest you, you comply. You have the right to remain silent and those that are wise, do.

That is not a race issue but rather an issue of being smart and not a moron. I read the story and the basketball player was a putz that thought it would be a good idea to challenge the cops. He received $4,000,000 for his idiocy, and that is the only real crime in the story.

@Coinstartled said:
    Dad told me when I got my drivers license, If I get pulled over be polite and don't argue with the cop...that is what the courts are for. He didn't tell me to keep my hands on the wheel and not to reach for my wallet as it was 1972 suburban America and cops were not yet under siege. Stops were never fun, but the tension experienced today was not a factor.

Cop tells you to move along, you move along. Cop attempts to arrest you, you comply. You have the right to remain silent and those that are wise, do.

That is not a race issue but rather an issue of being smart and not a moron. I read the story and the basketball player was a putz that thought it would be a good idea to challenge the cops. He received $4,000,000 for his idiocy, and that is the only real crime in the story.

Agreed. I been saying this type of thing for a very long time, in MOST cases had the “Victim” complied and not escalated the situation by refusing orders the event would have unfolded a lot different than a police officer reaching for his gun. LE is trained to finish the job no matter what - legally ofcourse- and that’s what these complete idiots fail to grasp, if your a Black person and you feel your being unjustly profiled or whatever compliance is still the only answer, thinking that the situation is just going to go away because you don’t want to comply is pure stupidity and honestly at that point anyone No matter what race they are brings what they get on themselves for being stupid.

I've driven, mostly job related, perhaps around a million miles over my career.

I've been stopped for speeding perhaps around ten times. Nothing reckless like driving too fast in a school zone, i would never do anything like that. It was always going a bit too fast on a highway, IE late for an appointment reason, etc. and I technically deserved a ticket each time.

However I never received a ticket, always just a warning. And I have no doubt that the reason was I always fully cooperated with the police officer, always called them "officer" and never lied or made excuses for the situation. When they stated why they stopped me, I always properly acknowledged it as true, and sincerely apologized.

I'm not going to get into any long stories, but in my younger days, often hanging around nightclubs, bars, parties, gambling joints, etc, sometimes "things happen" whereby behavior escalates, including my own behavior, to the point where law enforcement or security steps in. But I was never arrested, charged, or fined for anything. Again, because at that point i fully cooperated with law enforcement or security and the "problem" basically vanished as if it never happened.

I've personally seen a number of times at the mentioned venues, white kids acting up and being belligerent to law enforcement and the kids got the legal punishment they deserved. So don't try to tell me that the police are racist, etc, because that is pure nonsense. It's behavior that causes the police to act in a negative manner, not race.

I've watched some of these type of videos on Youtube. Frankly, i'm amazed at the restraint that police officers often show to these drunken, drugged up, loud foul mouth dopes who don't cooperate and act aggressively towards police officers. Before finally, the police are forced to escalate the matter to a handcuffed arrest to avoid having the situation get out of control, for the protection of the perpetrator and police officer as well.

That isn't "white privilege" as the basketball player stated...that is police officers doing their job, and a great job they often do.

I'm thankful for the men and women of law enforcement. :)

@MLBdays said:
    I'll take a rain check on this one...

Honestly I should have as well, I feel I say the same things every time and regardless of what any of our opinions are on this type of thing is, none of us are going to change how we feel. Case closed and it’s not even debatable

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 5:17PM

That is fine Perk, but i have one more comment.

The "victim" is 6'7" and 220 pounds, adding an extra level of threat to the law enforcement officers. Seems that the so called racist cops are only targeting men and not women. Do any of the kneelers wonder why that is?

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general I like police and law enforcement.

However like in every field there are bad guys and good guys. I high school classmate of mine was a stud football player who eventually became a police officer. He was a decent guy in high school but was very short tempered. He played college football, put on more muscle and topped out at about 240-250 lbs. When he became a police officer the fact that he had a badge and gun went to his head. He relished the idea of being a cop and beating heads.

He ended up with a bad reputation and was involved in excessive force episodes. I recall that he eventually was forced to leave the department.

I would not want to be involved in any situation where some bad cops were involved, especially if my skin tone was any color other than white. When I have had police stop me for speeding and other traffic violations I do not cause problems, do not give attitude and am polite and respectful. I would do this regardless of my skin tone, but I always wonder if I am going to have to deal with a bad cop.

An interesting contrast present with the phenomena of protesting against the police and law enforcement (a protest against persons wielding authority) is that many of those who so willingly protest this kind of authority being exercised by local, state and national law enforcement agencies have no problem with (and would even welcome) other governmental entities dictating and controlling ever increasing aspects of their lives.

@SanctionII said:
    In general I like police and law enforcement.

However like in every field there are bad guys and good guys. I high school classmate of mine was a stud football player who eventually became a police officer. He was a decent guy in high school but was very short tempered. He played college football, put on more muscle and topped out at about 240-250 lbs. When he became a police officer the fact that he had a badge and gun went to his head. He relished the idea of being a cop and beating heads.

He ended up with a bad reputation and was involved in excessive force episodes. I recall that he eventually was forced to leave the department.

I would not want to be involved in any situation where some bad cops were involved, especially if my skin tone was any color other than white. When I have had police stop me for speeding and other traffic violations I do not cause problems, do not give attitude and am polite and respectful. I would do this regardless of my skin tone, but I always wonder if I am going to have to deal with a bad cop.

An interesting contrast present with the phenomena of protesting against the police and law enforcement (a protest against persons wielding authority) is that many of those who so willingly protest this kind of authority being exercised by local, state and national law enforcement agencies have no problem with (and would even welcome) other governmental entities dictating and controlling ever increasing aspects of their lives.

You make a number of good points.

For some inexplicable reason, i don't think some out there fully understand the damage that a big male can do to someone, not even considering weapons.

One hard punch to a police officer's face could result in many types of damage, sometimes involving reconstructive surgery, permanent injuries, as well as a lifetime of pain and suffering.

There is a reason why officers are allowed to use force with someone who appears that he might start a fight, even if it is known that the person is unarmed. After the damage to an officer's face is done, it's too late.

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:

Honestly I should have as well, I feel I say the same things every time and regardless of what any of our opinions are on this type of thing is, none of us are going to change how we feel. Case closed and it’s not even debatable

I’m in the same canoe as you two

m

not the partridge family sorry , I meant the hardy boys

If you’re struggling to understand what “white privilege” is, perhaps, on a very basic level, it’s the freedom to do normal, everyday things, without having the cops called on you:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/20/us/living-while-black-police-calls-trnd/index.html

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:

m

Is there room in the canoe for Dimeman? B)

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:

m

If you bring the beer then I’ll save you a cushion

m

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:

m

If you bring the beer then I’ll save you a cushion

m

Sounds good. Beer for you and SD's for me! :)B)

edited April 13, 2019 8:37AM

@45isodd said:

I respectfully disagree. If there’s a topic that you don’t wish to discuss, you are under no obligation to open the thread.

Sports Talk
    A place for sports stats, sports news, sports comments, talk of teams, players and games. Any general sports related topics.

The above is from the website manager. It is my prerogative to comment any way I wish on any topic, as long as I don't violate posting guidelines. Your OP is treading on thin ice...I've seen people disappear over the years on topics not related to the general premise of the page.

One person's racial outlook is NOT a sports topic, not worthy of opening any form of dialog, and does not promote anything positive on the board, not does it fall under "SPORTS". Doing so will undoubtedly lead to nothing but heated debate. Racism exists, always did, always will, picking the scab is useless.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@45isodd said:

Sports Talk
    A place for sports stats, sports news, sports comments, talk of teams, players and games. Any general sports related topics.

The above is from the website manager. It is my prerogative to comment any way I wish on any topic, as long as I don't violate posting guidelines. Your OP is treading on thin ice...I've seen people disappear over the years on topics not related to the general premise of the page.

One person's racial outlook is NOT a sports topic, not worthy of opening any form of dialog, and does not promote anything positive on the board, not does it fall under "SPORTS". Doing so will undoubtedly lead to nothing but heated debate. Racism exists, always did, always will, picking the scab is useless.

They are not hiring new mods , but they will put your application on file

It’s unfortunate that you feel this way, but regardless of what your opinion on the topic is, it happens to be a very big deal right now. Players throughout the NBA are praising Korver for publishing his article. Like I said, if you don’t like the topic, don’t pay any attention to it.

@45isodd said:

It’s unfortunate that you feel this way, but regardless of what your opinion on the topic is, it happens to be a very big deal right now. Players throughout the NBA are praising Korver for publishing his article. Like I said, if you don’t like the topic, don’t pay any attention to it.

You and another have missed the point...this is the Sports page, NOT the white vs black topic page. This is NOT the forum for racial discussions, nor to discuss whatever praise has been heaped upon Korver, surely though, there is no bias there.

You have no clue how I feel one way or another. It may be a big deal right now, but it belongs elsewhere. I'd be willing to bet that the board monitor or webmaster will agree with me.

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@45isodd said:

Sports Talk

They are not hiring new mods , but they will put your application on file

My W2 days are long gone...happily retired. Besides, it would interfere with my trout fishing, but thanks for thinking of me, I doubt I'd qualify for the position anyway.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@45isodd said:

You and another have missed the point...this is the Sports page, NOT the white vs black topic page. This is NOT the forum for racial discussions, nor to discuss whatever praise has been heaped upon Korver, surely though, there is no bias there.

You have no clue how I feel one way or another. It may be a big deal right now, but it belongs elsewhere. I'd be willing to bet that the board monitor or webmaster will agree with me.

Not choosing sides here but if an NBA player (or pro athlete) is the basis for the discussion, wouldn't that qualify for "Sports Talk" in that regard. This particular forum certainly has had its share of off topic subjects not directly related to sports in any case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@45isodd said:

If you have no interest in the topic, why don't you just bow out and move on. Stop trying to police the forum. It is a sports topic as folks are discussing their reactions to an athletes monologue.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

In Al’s Defense, I think his point is that we have already been over this topic numerous times and every time it ends up in a fistfight, that’s what I’m getting out of it. Al can certainly speak for himself but as his friend I figured I’d speak in his defense. Either way i don’t think anyone here has changed their opinions on this since the last time it came up, I certainly haven’t but hey if a member wants to bring it up again then so be it.

Take the Jackie Robinson story which I think we all probably know. It would be naive to believe that story didn't involve and strongly influence sports.

This thread story is sort of an extension of the Colin Kaepernick story, which i would agree we've already discussed ad infinitum.

But it would also be naive to believe that the Kaepernick story didn't involve and influence sports, although of course not nearly to the extent of Jackie Robinson.

This NBA player brought a different twist to it, so i thought it was worth a response. In a similar manner that we would have discussed Jackie Robinson if the forum was around back then.

The big difference is I completely agree with what Jackie Robinson did, versus Kaepernick and this basketball player who I completely disagree with.

@grote15 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@45isodd said:

Not choosing sides here but if an NBA player (or pro athlete) is the basis for the discussion, wouldn't that qualify for "Sports Talk" in that regard. This particular forum certainly has had its share of off topic subjects not directly related to sports in any case.

I will post one last comment on the OP's topic. You continue to miss the point...I'll make one more attempt. The post is about
    r-a-c-i-s-m and white privilege...yes, I read the post...did anyone else? It is rife with racism and white privilege. This is currently a white hot topic and because (as Grote states) "an NBA player (or pro athlete) is the basis for the discussion, wouldn't that qualify for sports talk...I don't find that a qualifier. Would that be the same qualifier for a rape, child pornography, murder or any other heinous topic? The subject matter in the OP's post IMO does not belong on the sports page. How does racism work here? I have lived in the Atlanta, GA area for more than 30 years...I've seen it all, in life, tv news, etc, etc...does racism exist? It certainly does, does it deserve to be regurgitated here? NO.

As for those posts who are telling me either to not open the post, or go away, or stop being the hall monitor, etc, etc...aren't you doing the exact thing you are accusing me of by writing such? Because I have an opposing viewpoint to the OP, who are you to tell me to go away or not open the post? Look in the mirror!!

I have challenged the post, NOT the poster. I find your posts as hypocritical, but nothing I can't handle. As for telling me not to open the post...well, if you make a post, that is then wide open for all to read and comment on, which is what I did. If you didn't or don't like what I wrote, who are you to tell me not to post? Get it?

I've been around here about 15 years, seen them come and go. Seen the Trump haters get the red square and disappear, among others. I ASSURE YOU, as long as I am a member in good standing and don't violate any posting guidelines, I will post as I wish...critique my posts, not me as a person. Perhaps over time some of you may get that...Craig44, Grote, etc.

So, continue posting those topics that you think are ok because a "sports figure" brought them up...at some point, the webmaster will address those posts that do nothing but add angst and are highly charged in nature. You will never, ever change anyone's mind about racism...as indicated by posters above.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al, continued references to the webmaster and to the mods and bannings because you disagree with the post is a bit over the top, imo. And though provocative discussions and debates can sometimes become spirited on both sides, I'd like to think that members here can remain respectful of one another while posting. Todd (the new forum mod/webmaster) is doing a great job here in that regard. Just my 2 cents.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2019 12:09PM

I'm going to lock this thread down, not because of the initial subject matter but because it is beginning to take a turn to and head in a bad direction.

Subjects like this are tough. I will not make a blanket statement regarding how I will moderate threads like this going forward. I believe it has to be a case-by-case basis. But I can say that the longer the discussion remains civil and level-headed, even when people do not agree with each other, the better chance a thread has to stay open.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.