Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there die characteristics to tell a 1921 Walker from a 1941, if only 1 digit is visible ?

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 4, 2019 8:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello folks,
I've got a XXX1 Walker and I can be fairly certain it's a 1921.
Are there any identifiers that will tell me for sure?
Thank you for the help.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is unlikely that a 1941 walker would have received enough wear in circulation to reach that level of wear. They were effectively gone from circulation by the late 1960's. The 1921s would have had an additional twenty years of use and would usually be found with heavy wear.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna put all my 41 halfs in my pocket for a couple years and turn them into $50-$60 coins! Great idea!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options

@EagleEye said:
    There is a big difference between 1921 and 1941. Just post an image and we can tell you which it is. They changed the hub at some date in between, I don't recall the date, but it may be 1929.

Thanks Rick, photo added.......

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Hello folks,
    I've got a XXX1 Walker and I can be fairly certain it's a 1921.
    Are there any identifiers that will tell me for sure?
    Thank you for the help.

So it is obviously 1941

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

“1941,” starring John Belushi!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I've always gone by the skirt lines too, they are weaker on the earlier coins-even in higher grades.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great informational thread on Walkers. @EagleEye thanks for the info!

Tag: Diagnostic

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent information for Walker collectors.... and others. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2019 7:02AM

On the 1918-1937 coins (2nd hub) the rays are weak and do not reach the flag.
    I'd be extremely careful using this as a diagnostic. I don't know if Fox got this from Breen or somewhere else, but I've always been skeptical of it. Look at Coinfacts or images to compare.
    There are plenty of examples of 1921 dated coins, along with the other earlier dates, where the central rays do touch the flag on better struck coins. The only year where the second ray from the right clearly and consistently does not touch is 1937, a one year redesign by Sinnock. This changed again in 1938.
    A better diagnostic, I think, is the last full rays' proximity to the drapery.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2019 7:14AM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    On the 1918-1937 coins (2nd hub) the rays are weak and do not reach the flag.
    I'd be extremely careful using this as a diagnostic. I don't know if Fox got this from Breen or somewhere else, but I've always been skeptical of it. Look at Coinfacts or images to compare.
    There are plenty of examples of 1921 dated coins, along with the other earlier dates, where the central rays do touch the flag on better struck coins. The only year where the second ray from the right clearly and consistently does not touch is 1937, a one year redesign by Sinnock. This changed again in 1938.
    A better diagnostic, I think, is the last full rays' proximity to the drapery.

Great observation.

I also see the ray stub that points east is another indicator.
    Lance.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the coin in question, the flag of the 2nd 1 is much more pronounced, as on a 1941, than it would be on a 1921.

• Options

I'm starting to think that my coin may be a 1931 !

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like 21 to me

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

No if the rays touch the flag it can’t be a 1921. I’m sending all mine back to the tpg’s, as they must be altered.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    For the coin in question, the flag of the 2nd 1 is much more pronounced, as on a 1941, than it would be on a 1921.

“Flag”? That’s the thingy on the bottom of the 1, analogous to a “serif”? Didn’t know that term, thanks. :)

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Great info that why I love this place!

ECHO..echo..... Not my series but great info to tuck away. Never know when it might come in handy!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great discussion! Thanks for the info, I've never bothered to look at the rays so I learned something today. Thankfully, the 1921 and the 21-D dies were made using the same obverse hub so they can usually be ID'ed w/o a date showing at all.

One day it would be great to get all the folks together to share information. For example I never needed to look at the reverse to ID a '94 or 93-S Morgan dollar. I still don't. However, about six years ago the top coin authenticator at a major TPGS told me about the tiny die scratch in the space between the eagle's leg on a 94-P. Apparently, just as the rays in the example above, everyone knew about it for decades - except for me. Since I never looked at the reverse of 1894 dollars to authenticate them, I had no idea that "diagnostic marker" even existed. Otherwise, I would have recorded it in the 1970's! Coin authentication is not difficult. Getting a group of identical coins together to look for hub "markers" that are on every coin is the hard part.

Today, we have the luxury of folks like Rick and the other members posting in this thread to do the job for us. :)
    I'm going to start looking at the rays on all the dates in addition to the skirt lines.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are other WL half hub changes, largely in the mid-1930s. Differences are minute and very difficult to discern on circulation coins. Here is just one example from the engraver's notebook:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file