Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1958 D LWC ?

Hello every body again back for another round of learning with the good people of collectors.com you all are a wonderful group of people teaching and learning and sharing thoughts where great minds come together here we go 1958 D LWC looks like some stuff going on to me Iam hoping the veterans and all who are more nowledgeable than me can shed some insite on this coin thank youall very much for your replies

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be helpful if you specified precisely what you are questioning. I do see some dark spots in the last pictures... is this the issue you are concerned with? Please elaborate. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Ricko said above, you need to tell us what you see on the coin.

I see a normal Lincoln Cent - maybe a few die polish lines in the
    first photo, but that is not an error; it's part of the minting or die
    process.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That first pic of the date/mm is excellent, then all the rest are blurry. I don’t get that.

Anyways here’s a good reference since I am assuming your looking for DDs.

http://conecaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/StrikeDoublingFlyer-1.pdf

“Typically, die doubling will almost always exhibit splits in the serifs of the letters and/or numerals, with rounded, secondary images.”

“As a rule, strike doubling will exhibit a flat, shelf-like secondary image, contrary to the rounded secondary images of true die doubling. This secondary image will also usually be low to the field. There will be no splits in the serifs. On most uncirculated and proof coins, strike doubling will give the appearance that the metal has been “moved,” much like that on hobo nickels or love tokens, and will have a very shiny appearance.”

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    As Ricko said above, you need to tell us what you see on the coin.

I see a normal Lincoln Cent - maybe a few die polish lines in the
    first photo, but that is not an error; it's part of the minting or die
    process.

I was thinking it was machine doubled die in the. In god we. Trust

• Options

@ricko said:
    It would be helpful if you specified precisely what you are questioning. I do see some dark spots in the last pictures... is this the issue you are concerned with? Please elaborate. Cheers, RickO

No. I was looking at the doubled in god we trust thinking machined doubled die the we is most obivious correct

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The term is 'machine - or mechanical - doubling'....not to be confused with a 'doubled die'. Two totally different issues. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigcrypto said:
    machined doubled die

No such thing. There are "doubled dies" and coins with "machine doubling".

MD is sometimes interesting but has no value (unless you have an extreme example that someone might want as a curiosity).

I you are trying to decide if a coin is normal or has MD you might as well stop right there, as the value is the same.

• Options

@ricko said:

thanks ricko working on this camera thing and working out the bugs i have some more interesting coins i am working on the pics right now they will be up soon thanks so much

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file