Home Sports Talk

Best sports Movie.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your thoughts.

For me, Brian's Song.

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are SO many great sports movies that it’s hard to pick. I would have to answer the ‘Best’ question with two films that are deadlocked in first place: Rocky and Hoosiers. Each explores the underdog story while also addressing redemption and the different ways you can ‘win’ in sports regardless of the outcome of the actual event.

HOWEVER, my personal favorite would be Side Out. Mind you, this a very cheesy, very bad, very eighties movie. How 80s, you ask? There’s 80s music, tons of neon colors, high hair, it stars Peter Horton and C. Thomas Howell and Bernie from Weekend at Bernie’s and features a very young, very beautiful, very swimsuit clad Courtney Thorne-Smith. It doesn’t get more 80s! It’s the standard tale of a law school kid from Minnesota who scores a summer internship at a California law firm only to abandon it for a shot at glory on the pro volleyball circuit. Many real life AVP players in the film, with Randy Stoklos in a semi lead role.

You know, that old story...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rocky
    Bad news Bears
    Stir Crazy

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waterboy
    Air Bud: Spikes Back
    Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed the Rocky series

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

The Field of Dreams. The end still makes my eyes tear up

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 9:00AM

I'd probably say Rocky as well. If I had to throw out something different, most of my other favorites are baseball movies: The Natural, Eight Men Out, and the various Costner baseball movies (Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, For the Love of the Game).

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    The Natural

Yes! I forgot about that one

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 9:02AM

@lawnmowerman said:

@mvs7 said:
    The Natural

Yes! I forgot about that one

The Natural is easily my favorite baseball movie. For the Love of the Game should really only be mentioned if there was a way to edit out the relationships part of the movie and just show the baseball parts.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slapshot.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoosiers,Field of Dreams.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chariots of Fire

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the best, but when I was younger I really liked All the Right Moveshttps://youtu.be/6zDtgcrwYl0

@MLBdays said:
    I liked The Natural .... better than Field. ~maybe I'm a sucker. Rocky though is #1 ... that was the movie.

Rocky was the movie. Million dollar budget no less.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember my father watching North Dallas Forty and my mother yelling to not let me watch it, decades later I watched it and thought it was “OK”

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

As for the Rocky franchise of movies, the first and second ones were great.

I recently watched Creed 2 and find that it is one of my favorites. I really liked that Creed 2 spent a substantial amount of time telling the story of how the events of Rocky IV (death of Apollo at the hands of Ivan Drago, Rocky beating Drago in Moscow) turned out having wide ranging impacts on multiple characters in this franchise.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sandlot

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 3:44PM

Hoosiers, Brian’s Song, and Remember the Titans are mine

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might want to edit that...just sayin'...

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know... I know..."Damn autocorrect!"...

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Hoosiers, Brian’s Dong, and Remember the Titans are mine

That second movie is probably on a late night premium cable channel if anyone is interested

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Hoosiers, Brian’s Dong, and Remember the Titans are mine

That second movie is probably on a late night premium cable channel if anyone is interested

Couldn’t have planned that if I thought of it

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Raging Bull

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Caddyshack

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying it's my favorite, but i don't think "Paper Lion" was mentioned.

Interesting movie because the plot is based on a true story, and also because a number of the football players who were involved in the true story, also played themselves in the movie.

One was Alex Karras who went on to have a fairly decent career in movies and television.

Not a top ten movie but worth watching again was Fast Break with Gabe Kaplan and Bernard King.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rudy... Rudy... Rudy... Rudy...

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad News Bears
    Field of Dreams
    Hoosiers

Andy

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Slap Shot with Paul Newman

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Follow The Sun

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball-Bull Durham
    Football-Brian's Song
    Basketball-Hoosiers
    Hockey-Slapshot
    Boxing-Rocky

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Sandlot

m

It's about time someone named that movie. wasn't waiting much longer to chime in.
    for a football movie, I am torn between Brian's Song and Remember the Titans.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually liked Greatest game every played. I know Shia Lebeouf is tough to take but is pretty good in this, and Stephen Dillane as Harry Vardon is tremendous. The story of Francis Ouimet is truly stranger than fiction.

Others: Hoosiers. Bull Durham. Hoop Dreams (do documentaries count?).

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the ghostbusters would have come in at the end of field of dreams to wipe out the ghosts and send them
    back to where they belong it would have been the perfect movie.
    As it stands the movie is a little lacking, with poltergeists in wool uniforms haunting the whole damn Iowa countryside.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

The fish that saved Pittsburgh

edited April 5, 2019 8:37AM

If there are any french canadians who read this the hockey movie "Les Boys" is a must see.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Cruise thinking with his bat in A Few Good Men

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Tom Cruise thinking with his bat in A Few Good Men

Ha!!!

Kevin Bacon plays hoops, Demi Moore confronts Lt Caffey (Cruise) on the baseball diamond early in the film, too.

Don’t know if it’s sports but it sure is a great flic!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I recall watching as a child the black and white movie about the life of Jim Thorpe staring Burt Lancaster as Jim Thorpe,Thorpe mastered many sports won Olympic medals but they were taken away from him because he played pro ball which was a no no at the time because olympians had to be strictly amateurs this rule was finally changed when pro hockey players were allowed to compete in the olympics.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

No love for Major League?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2